The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Full review, with some mild praise for the “two-drummer sextet” :cool:

[​IMG]

2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah I'm due to listen to that it's been about a yeart

US Blues likes this.
  3. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

This one never got its claws into me. However, it has been about eight years as well. Will have to revisit.

bzfgt likes this.
  4. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Does not compute.

trd and wavethatflag like this.
  5. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

I have this album in FLAC. It is quite good as I'm SURE you all know :) I was deciding whether to get this one on vinyl or the Fillmore West. I did end up getting the West, which is awesome, BTW, but it was a close choice.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. latheofheaven

My first guitar MANY moons ago was a Gibson SG. And, I don't know if his was modified in some way, it was likely a WAY better model than mine, but for me until now, it was by FAR the hardest to play. Ebony fretboard, IIRC, and the action was atrocious. Nice sound of course, but super hard to play...

trd, Archtop and bzfgt like this.
  7. latheofheaven

Same here... and very well done with the contraction! :)

Archtop likes this.
  8. latheofheaven

DING DING DING! (and, no, that is not the sound of Archtop on a questionable site...) Good job mate! Sorry, I couldn't resist right after that comment about there only being one woman here on this thread :)

It was from Monty Python's Life of Brian, one of their greatest works! Although this bit was far from my favourite, but there are MANY really funny bits throughout. FWIW, I am a devout Christian person, but I didn't find the movie offensive at all. Many religious people missed the point that they were NOT making fun of God or Jesus, but the people and their superstitions and expectations at the time. The one bit about a guy being stoned (NO, not in that way me dear DeadHeads!) for using God's name is sublime, because that was very much a man-made superstition at the time. Damn funny movie! :righton:

KCWhistle and ianuaditis like this.
  9. latheofheaven

You likely would... :agree:

bzfgt likes this.
  10. latheofheaven

Added! :D

bzfgt likes this.
  11. latheofheaven

Well said mate! :righton:

bzfgt likes this.
  12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Nice, where did you find that? Grateful Dead Guide is where I got the notion that the review was lost to time, but evidently not.

JRM and latheofheaven like this.
  13. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Sure, but what have the Romans ever done for us?

Has anyone checked to see if latheodheaven and warewolf95 are related? They bring a similar gestalt to the proceedings here.

KCWhistle, bmoregnr, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  14. JRM

Took a little digging but found an image of the review on the NY Times’s print archive.

budwhite, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Grateful Dead Guide: Buzz-Saw Music: Fillmore East, June 14, 1968 (Guest Post)

This has a footnote mentioning this:

However, going to the rockprosography link I find a mention that there is no known review of the Saturday shows (not that there is no review of any of the shows).

The writer on that blog also mentions this:

budwhite, JRM and ianuaditis like this.
  16. ianuaditis

LOL I was just making a post with that rockprosopography link

pbuzby likes this.
  17. latheofheaven

That was also a great bit! :D No, I'm afraid that we are a singular identity... Uh... I mean all of us... er, wait... I'm a bit confused... let me just take a moment and listen to an early Dark Star, that should straighten me out...

[​IMG]

WHOOPS, wrong artist... But, I do feel better now...

Spadeygrove likes this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Under my radar until now, but ordered. Thanks!

John69 and US Blues like this.
  19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

"The story about the Jeff Beck Group "blowing away" the Grateful Dead at their mutual Fillmore East debuts has been repeated so many times that I don't know the original source of it (I myself read it first in review of a Rod Stewart album in Rolling Stone in the early 1970s)."

And the Jeff Beck Group sure did better in the long run than the GD, a long and storied career playing 1000's of concerts that were assiduously bootlegged and collected for posterity, selling out shows for years, and reaping the accolades that only time can buy true artists. Oh wait, that was the Grateful Dead who accomplished all that. :uhhuh:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    budwhite, latheofheaven, JRM and 2 others like this.
  20. JRM

Beck and Stewart have done their best to reinforce the legend through the years...

“...the success of the two nights with the Grateful Dead [at the Fillmore East] was so overwhelming. We got really rave reviews and blew everybody away.” Beck, 2014

“Blowing away the Grateful Dead in New York was an unimaginably good result...” Stewart, 2012

US Blues, trd and ianuaditis like this.
  21. ianuaditis

It's worth mentioning that comments on both GD guide and that rockprosposoibhosihig site say things more like 'Beck's group was also (very) good' and do not give the 'blew the Grateful Dead away' impression by any means.

One commenter at rockpenguinshoes does note that the Beck Group got the first spontaneous standing ovation he'd witnessed in 3 months of regular attendance at the Fillmore.

Jeff Beck Group must have been pretty impressive if there's even any notion of blowing that Grateful Dead performance off the stage.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Built to last till time itself
    Falls tumbling from the wall
    Built to last till sunshine fails
    And darkness moves on all
    Built to last while years roll past
    Like cloudscapes in the sky
    Show me something built to last
    Or something built to try...

ianuaditis likes this.
  23. JRM

Rave review from across the pond:

“The greatest thing happened in New York last Friday. On his first performance in this country, Jeff Beck became a star. Even in his Yardbird heyday, when Jeff toured America with a few hits under his belt, he didn't get the standing ovation he and his present group received in the MIDDLE of their performance at the Fillmore East!

America has never seen a team like Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart. The only possible description of their twofold dynamite would be to suggest it's like watching the brilliance of Jim Morrison teamed with Eric Clapton.” New Musical Express, 29 June 1968

24. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

That must be the famous 1970 Drunk and Junk Tour.

JRM, trd, jazz_case and 2 others like this.
  25. ianuaditis

I don't doubt that they gave a good performance, and that band's impact would have been quite similar to Led Zeppelin which was also incredibly well received.

I believe it was Beck's first experience with the NYC head audience, the Yardbirds with Beck had played the ballrooms in SF, but before that it had been 'Cavalcade of Stars' type tours for them, hardly the same crowd expectations at those shows.

As I said above, undoubtedly a 1968 Grateful Dead audience would have been among the most 'well-lubricated' that Beck had ever played for.