The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Glancing at Robert Christgau's site (since I remember him mentioning being a Dead fan in the late 60's while disliking the Jeff Beck Group) I didn't find any comment about the Dead's sets in 1968, but I did find this about 6/20/69 (late show), also published in the New York Times, July 1969: "That may have been the best set the Dead had ever played in New York." Apparently no tape circulates of that set.

Robert Christgau: The Grateful Dead Are Rising Again

2. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

You might be the only folks in the universe who would appreciate this video I put together.

I compiled a video of China Cat jams from 1974. Just the jams....

3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I played the April 1, 1988 show again last night (Road Trips Vol. 4, No. 2). Very good!

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  4. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Paying a visit to Golden Gate Park, 9/28/75

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  5. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

This looks nice! :righton:

6. latheofheaven

I just got this in the mail 5 minutes ago! :goodie:

[​IMG]

***EDIT

I THINK that will be about if for GD vinyl for now. I have this one and the Fillmore West 4-LP and the new Chris Bellman Anthem of the Sun.

But, digitally... BRING IT ON!!! :D

Joe Spivey, Crispy Rob, dsdu and 7 others like this.
  7. notesofachord

Oh man, just looking at that makes me want to spin my copy right at this moment. I was going to spin some holiday records, but those might have to wait.

8. latheofheaven

Man, I can not WAIT to hear this! This is gonna be so DAMN Psychedelic!!! Between this and the 1969 Fillmore West and the nice original mix remastered Anthem, this is probably gonna be my VERY favourite GD period! :D

BUT... thanks to you guys, I am also learning appreciation for their later work. Of course as I have mentioned before, I just Cosmically fell into Terrapin Station nearly 40 years ago and it blew me away. Unique, for sure for them. But lovely!

I sure dug those couple of songs from the PNW set last night. I REALLY liked Bird Song & China Cat Sunflower a LOT from Coliseum Vancouver, British Columbia, 1973-06-22! Just frigg'n LOVELY!

***EDIT

Thank you kindly Archtop for nudging me that way...! :tiphat:

9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The New Potato Caboose from this show is utterly mind-melting. Say goodbye to the illusion of solidity, and say hello to the underlying energetic matrix of reality itself.

10. US Blues

15 December 1971- Hill Auditorium, Ann Arbor, Michigan (Go Big Blue!)

Just started in on this classic show. 18 song first set. Back when I got this tape (late '79/early '80) an entire show with 18 tunes was on the endangered species list. A delightful late afternoon meltdown is commencing along with the China > Rider transition jam...

11. latheofheaven

NOW ur talk'n my language!

[​IMG]

12. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Successful visit to ‘75 in the books. I have surpassed the strength of dirt and milked the meleagris gallopavo.

Now jumping ahead to 3/21/90 Copps. A different world but a good one, and a hot show taboot.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  13. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I had the thought to listen to 1968-02-14 today, but it turns out I don't have it on an ipod for some reason so I listened to 1968-12-29 and then 1968-10-12. Both of these are as good as anything else. But regarding 02-14, since I have to load it up again, would people recommend the release, or the Charlie Miller version? I suspect the latter, as there are pitch problems with RT 2.2, are there not?

US Blues, Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  14. US Blues

If by "pitch problems" you mean it runs at the wrong speed- that is correct. CM's version will be proper.

bzfgt likes this.
  15. latheofheaven

I really like the style and the guitar tone of the 2nd one that comes in around 3:40 :righton:

16. latheofheaven

I was just listening to Dark Star on Disc 2 of the PNW set (Portland Memorial Coliseum , Portland OR, 1973-06-24) And, right about 6:55 or so when the bass line really gets going, it's a pretty damn good groove. Kind of laid back, but between the 2 guitars and that frigg'n AMAZING bass, you have a pretty sweet thing going on there :) Basically, this is free-form Jazz. I never knew all these years that I've been collecting vinyl that they sounded like this. I have TONS of Jazz like this. If I had known, I woulda been onto them a LOT sooner.

Where the HELL was I the last 40 years for Goodness sake!!!? [​IMG]

unravelled, KeninDC, fishcane and 7 others like this.
  17. notesofachord

Gooble gobble, gooble gobble, we accept him, we accept him, one of us, one of us!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. US Blues

15 Dec 1978- Birmingham. Recently circulated, the Terrapin > Playing... got a listen tonight. Jerry was burrowing hard on the PITB jam.

13 Dec 1978- Tampa. Another PITB jam, just because.

19. latheofheaven

That's what I get for posting pictures of myself while I'm out drinking...

DAMN...! :D

Matthew Tate, trd and bzfgt like this.
  20. latheofheaven

21. latheofheaven

Seattle Civic Arena, Seattle WA, 1973-06-26 (D3 PNW)

The Other One (6:33)

WOW! [​IMG]

22. timriepe

timriepe Forum Resident

So I have been listening to Daves 17 lately and when I initially got it I dont think I understood how great of a show it is all around! Pretty tight playing and even vocals! The Scarlet is really good! And the spanish jam is somethin’ else!

23. notesofachord

This man, he gets it.

[​IMG]

24. latheofheaven

[​IMG]

25. latheofheaven

Hec Edmundson Pavilion. Seattle WA, 1974-05-21 (PNW - D6)

Playing In The Band 46 MINUTES...?!!!

[​IMG]

KCWhistle, Crispy Rob, bzfgt and 4 others like this.