The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. yeah, most everybody except me, the guy who asked the question.

Your suggestions are exactly what I'm after. I've played through the tabs some- I'm only playing acoustic as yet, but a couple of my guitars do have a cutaway so I can reach the high frets (My Fender San Miguel has 22 of them!) I've spent very little time above the 12th fret prior to this- I'm loving these high licks. I'm fine with working out what's already been tabbed for the time being, but anything you could add would be excellent. I haven't been able to find this material anywhere else on-line.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and Archtop like this.
  2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It's winter. So....

Spinning some Winterland GD.

Dave's 13: February 24, 1974

The first set starts off a bit slow (typical), but kicks into gear during Jerry's phenomenal "Candyman" solo. "Jack Straw" is up next and is excellent. China>Rider next - yay!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. notesofachord

As a side note, the 2015 Dave's Picks series #13 - 16 may just have my favorite artwork. Well, either that or 2014. The skeletons are a bit freaky, not d0ofus-y.

[​IMG]

Here's the 2014 art:

[​IMG]

4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm happy to spoon-feed as needed. Keep in mind, I'm a bass player who just happens to have played guitar for 42 years as well. You won't find much of the improv stuff in tabs. Work through the stuff I posted; it's late, but tomorrow's another day. I have a specific lick in mind that occurs on both 4/16/72 (Aarhus, starting at 5:47) and 8/27/72 (Veneta, starting at 9:26). I've got to work that out before I stumble/bumble it to you.

If we need to do this via PM/IM, that might be better. Lemme know.

5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

If you do go to PM include me if you don't mind.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  6. notesofachord

You are correct (as always). However, tabs are nice for us plebeians!!

Panama Hotel likes this.
  7. notesofachord

Three years and two days after the Winterland show featured on Dave's 13 is the 2/26/77 San B'erdino show from the upcoming Dave's 29. It'll be here in less than two weeks - I can't wait!!

[​IMG]

Actually, the watercolors on this remind me a bit of that 2015 series of Dave's.

8. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  9. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It's rough all right but we're indebted to whoever it was that recorded it 51+ years ago. Thank you thank you thank you!

I listed to "5 May '67" this afternoon. They sound high, to the point where I think the music suffers a bit. New Potato is a bit one dimensional because, aside from being fairly new (assuming this show is from August or September), they ramble. I think they're too focussed on making screeching sounds and saying weird things to play well at this show. The Alligator has some kick but it too doesn't really go anywhere.

I tend never to enjoy the shows where they are obviously high as much as the shows where they are on their game (both 11 February '69 shows, I'm looking at you.)

bzfgt and budwhite like this.
  10. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

S'all good. If you get confused with the cover art just let the music play.....

DoDahman likes this.
  11. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. Lovely audience recording!

johnnypaddock and US Blues like this.
  12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Those are my two favorite years also, Tony Millionaire takes it for me as 9 and 10 are my two favorites.

Now 7-12-76, after the supercool Dark Star from 3-23-72 last night. I chose an AUD for this show, the guitar tone thing is still an 'issue,' though it sounds better so far in set 2 than set 1.

Set 1 featured the return of Deal (since 6/75, not that many shows,) and Minglewood. Peggy-O was brought back late in June and also Half Step returns on 7-13, not played since 10-20-74.

Slipknot! was heading for some PITB-like space territory when Garcia played his melody line and got everyone back on task. And twisting back on my own tail, I thought I heard some 'proto-Slipknot!' in that Dark Star from the Academy of Music (10:35 or so.)

13. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Giving Dick’s 13 (5/6/81) another spin and I’m dealing with the cassette soundboard sound better than I normally do. When Brent is on B3 the band sounds great. Looking forward to the buried Scarlet>Fire from 11/1/79 on disc 2.

Second set looks tasty. I think I’ve only listened once when I bought this maybe a year or 18 months ago.

Crispy Rob, Freebird, adamos and 5 others like this.
  14. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Great tape of a pretty good show. I always loved how you can get a feeling of being in the theater, especially in the second set when Weir is tuning Estimated, and a bunch of Deadheads are lobbying for other treats: “Not that! Anything but that!”

15. ianuaditis

LOL, I can't remember the specific show, but it was the first east coast tour with Brent (Hampton VA maybe?) but you can hear a lot of calls for 'California!' before they finally play it.

US Blues likes this.
  16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Blues for Allah

17. I will take this to a PM soon. You've given me plenty to work with already. Thanks again.

Archtop likes this.
  18. that's a great resource, as is rukind. But the JDarks Playin' In The Band tab doesn't include anything about how to approach the jam itself. It's taken from the early non-jam Skull&Roses version (which I happen to like a lot; it's tight and compact. The organ part is entirely tonal shading; the interplay was entirely two guitars, bass, drums. Once the piano part was added, the song arrangement got looser and more impressionistic, and it often sprawled a little bit and lost some precision.) Archtop's tab goes into the improvisational departure.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Archtop likes this.
  19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

In'shallah!

20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Friend of the devil>beautiful piano jam>The Wheel

US Blues likes this.
  21. ianuaditis

I know PM makes it easier to have all in one place, but do post the highlights here.

bzfgt likes this.
  22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Hey @budwhite, post these up on the Dead & Bro thread. The responses would make a great sociological/psychological study.

23. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

We didn’t get to the 1/20 show. Weather was dicey and we bailed having seen a fine show on Friday night. Too bad as the second set was:

HCS>PITB>Eyes>Dancing>He’s Gone>Sugar Magnolia

Peak during second set on Friday night was The Wheel>Mason’s>Miracle>Fast & Loose>TOO

budwhite likes this.
  24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Great choice!

25. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

If there were a China>Rider contest, I'd think 6/26/74 - Providence Civic Center - would be up there. Slower, more dreamy pace. Crowd goes nuts.

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, adamos and 3 others like this.