The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Some fine early 80s AUDs on the Archive. You can even keep track of what each drummer is doing.

2. <okay, here we go...

DoDahman, US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
  3. <that's the kind of recording I like

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

The “Playing in the Band” from DaP 29 is getting a lot of props. But I’m kinda partial to Springfield 6/30/74. Yowie Kazowie!

5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

08/06/71
    Hollywood Palladium - Hollywood, CA

The Other One ->
    d2t04 - Me And My Uncle ->
    d2t05 - The Other One

Jerry's playing Gibson and the sound is thick and fat and great, but the November versions of this constellation is even better. Cue Texas and New Mexico

6. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

7/28/82 - I enjoyed 7 27 much more but this show was definitely almost as good. I thought Set 1 was incredible, but Set 2 keep teetering on the edge between being awesome and being lackluster.

Here we go...

7/28/82 – Morrison, CO

Night 2 at Red Rocks begins with a BANG with a smashing 14 minute Shakedown. That opening Dm chord – BANG!!! :)
    This Shakedown is perfect. Super funky and loaded with energy. Check Jerry's solo around 4 minutes – wonderful. From there on it's full steam ahead into a 10/10 Shakedown. It doesn't get much better than this one. Everyone is ON, the energy is high, and everyone's boppin' along to the music. :)

After a short breather, the boys freaking LAUNCH into the hottest BIODTL this side of 1972. Holy freaking crap Bobby and the boys must've drank rocket fuel beforehand or something. Holy crap. Also, I should mention, Jerry's playing is much more spot on tonight. It wasn't bad last show, but he's ON for this gig! A pure face melter. And in a moment of segue bliss, we continue straight into GSET like Beat It didn't even happen. And this one is every bit as SCORCHING hot! Just freaking ROCKING-AS-HELL.

Finally allowing us to breath for a few minutes, we follow up the hurricane with a wonderful They Love Each Other. I usually detest having to sit through the dreck of the usual versions of this, but a great version is a great version and THIS IS A FRIGGIN GREAT VERSION! If I had to be forced to listen one slow version of this forever, it'd be this. Perfect.

Up next is a, you guessed it, phenomenal Mama Tried that has the boys ripping at full force. Jerry is straight up shredding throughout. Same goes for Mexicali Blues. In an almost-segue, upon finishing the duo, Jerry keeps the train rolling and launches us into Big Railroad Blues. And it's too. Nothing else to say about it! :) The rocking continues as Bobby then leads us into a very hot LL>Supp. He messes up some lyrics in LL, but that's ok – the fire and energy the band is putting out means you don't even notice it. In Supplication the jamming gets FREAKING HOT! Jerry is letting it rip like his guitar owes him money. He is decimating. If you want some Phish-type Jerry, get this Supp. ON FIRE MAN! In perfect fashion, the boys close hot with a roaring Deal. If you want to ROCK, this is the freaking set for you, holy hell man...

Set 2 starts with the tempo high and the energy soaring with a rollicking Man Smart to get us up and out of our seats and onto the dance floor. There isn't much to say – it's as hot as the rest of set 1 was. :) Once its over, Jerry wastes no time bringing the mood down for the first time of the evening. Althea is calm and slightly wistful tonight. A little less aggressive than usual. Unfortunately this doesn't make it a great version and it pales compared to everything else played so far. It's fine and enjoyable but the first true track you can bother to skip tonight. Very nice climax towards the end of it though. Just too little too late, ya know?

Let It Grow slowly rises forth and tries to recapture the energy and vigor of set 1. It's mostly successful. It takes a few minutes to get going but woo nelly around 3 minutes it takes hold and Jerry lets it RIP! Noodle Chef is on the attack!!! Check out 4 minutes in – Jerry doin' his thang with that squiggly sound he has goin' on. Letting it rip and tear. FREAKING AWESOME JERRY ON THIS! From there on the band is back in the swing of things and this Let It Grow is HOTTER THAN THE SUN! AWESOME!

Giving us another chance to cool off, we retreat into a welcoming He's Gone. It's pretty uneventful until around 10 minutes the gospel poriton begins and Jerry starts vocalizing along to his playing. Very, very cool!!!! Extremely soulful! Preacher Bobby in the background with choir boy Brent....The crowd seems to be getting into it as well and the juices start to flow again. Really awesome to hear.

Around 12 minutes, the proper jamming begins with instruments swirling towards the sky and echoes of Bird Song abound. Totally wonderful yo – just BEAUTIFUL stuff here :D Soon enough, the tempo slowly increases and in an act of segue magic we are suddenly into Truckin! Wow, what a transition! It's pretty hot and some jamming begins around 5 minutes in. Jerry gets ahead of everyone and almost derails the whole thing around 5:30, but thankfully the ship remains on course and the REAL fun begins. Around 6 minutes things slowly start to shift into a more subtle area.

Things get quiet and more rhythmic. Bobby introduces a new groove and thank heavens the drummers pick up on it. Brent starts keyboarding away and we are suddenly locked into full-on improv mode. You wouldn't know that only 60 seconds ago we were playing Truckin – let's put it like that. Friggin' fantastic. Jerry goes quiet for a few minutes and Bobby jams with the drummers, flourishing his guitar while Brent lays it on the keys. THIS JAM IS AWESOME! Compare it to the post-Terrapin jam from the night before. It's straight up “we don't know where we are going or how we got here” and it's wonderful – if agonizingly short.

Unfortunately, the predictable happens and we fade into Drums/Space. Out of Space however, we get straight up Spanish Jam. It's pretty short and doesn't go anywhere interesting, but it's nice to hear them still bothering to improv. The transition into Not Fade Away is great though – you absolutely have no idea what song they are heading for and then next thing ya know there we are! Pretty hot and it gets down right RAGING around the 6 minute mark with Bobby and Brent trading off screams. :) And then Jerry ripcords us into Black Peter – ARRRGGHGHHH.

I am sad....Just when things were looking up for the set its off to the doldrums we go...Oh well, at least this is a very good one. NEXT! After a rocking Sugar Mag, this excellent set and show come to a close with a nice Baby Blue. Overall, not as good as the previous gig, but darn close!!!

7. budwhite

Truckin 77-11-06

Let it riff. Fun show. Sloppy and drunken but it rocks and its fun. Jerry liked fun

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  8. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Off to download! Thanks for the review.

Billy_Sunday, US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
  9. warewolf95

Any time mate! :D

10. budwhite

71-11-17 Albuquerque, NM

The other one>Me and my uncle>The other one

What a show, first time listening at home instead of the car. Man, great release!

11. budwhite

But, the same song sequence from three days before is..yes, even better!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  12. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Ha! - I came her to post the below - last night, I saw a ballet production of Anna Karenina at the Chicago Auditorium Theater, the below on the wall in the basement, near the guys bathroom. The plate 5/12/77 -- I believe that must be incorrect, since Jerry is playing the Tiger in the picture. (Rats - I copy and pasted the pic's but the disappear when I hit post reply -- don't know up to post pics that I took from my phone...)

13. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

@Jack Cerro 's friend checks out another Dead video:

ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  14. trd

trd Forum Resident

Did you hit up DSO? I wanted to go Saturday but had friends in town and couldn’t pull it tugether.

15. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

I can't get enough of this one.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  16. warewolf95

Been collecting 1980 today.

Why are there so many partial SBDs this year (or rather only 2nd sets)?

Also, Mr. Glassberg is to 1980 what Mr. Wise is to 1982.

Phenomenal audience recordings!!

budwhite and bmoregnr like this.
  17. warewolf95

I havent heard that one in a while but memory is telling me it was great

:)

18. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

have you lot come to a decision on the greatest DP release? you can guess my vote. This Birdsong. This first set! The second set is a whole show! every song is alive vibrant. and that Dark Star>Dew.... There were people in the audience witnessing this monster. And this was close to normal for late '72? I've seen four or five great live shows in my life, when it comes down to it. Not the Dead but just good live shows. And I've seen tons of shows. These people paid 3 or 4 bucks to see a 4 hour long, 8th wonder of the world.

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I've seen that photo when I've been to shows there. If I recall right May 1977 was the last time the Dead played the Auditorium Theatre (I read something about a Deadhead accidentally setting one of the curtains on fire) but of course the photo could be from a different venue.

budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  20. warewolf95

Im not exaggerating when I say that is, imo, one of the most perfect shows the band played in their entire career.

An absolute BEAST from start to finish.

laf848, notesofachord, Ezzie and 10 others like this.
  21. John69

John69 Forum Resident

I got to meet someone at a Phil and Friends show at the Beacon Theater who was at this show. I bought him a beer, shook his hand, and told him he was a lucky man! Dick's Picks wasn't out at the time, hopefully he got a copy.

22. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

that's fantastic.

ianuaditis, warewolf95 and John69 like this.
  23. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

I've been working this other guy to do a Cornell 5-8-77 Fire on the Mountain reaction. He seems to like the Fillmore East 2-13-70 Hard to Handle. @6:00 minutes into the video.

The Grateful Dead, A Quad Reaction

24. yes, I remember that arrangement. I like it a lot better than the later versions. Jerry had a notable preference for reggae-accented stylings in the mid-1970s.It's about the same tempo and arrangement as Eric Clapton's take on the song, which came out in late 1975. As you probably know, Garcia and Saunders also started covering reggae tunes a lot in the band that they had at the time.

Some of that influence showed up in the Dead in the revamped mid-1970s arrangements of some of the tunes, like "Bertha" and "They Love Each Other." And the band in general seemed to incorporate some Bob Marley and the Wailers influence into much of their interplay. The Wailers sound shared some similarity with the Dead, for that matter. Much more strict emphasis to the classic roots rock reggae behind-the-three beat accent, of course. The Wailers were all about the original Jamaican reggae beat, not American rock, R&B, New Orleans second line rhythm, or the Dead's amalgam of styles. But if you find some Youtube clips of the Wailers playing live, you'll find a similar approach to interplay- each member holding to the same tangent, laying out to let the other players contribute their parts in turn. You'll also notice that they're very good at doing that. The Wailers were a tight band. I like the original lineup the best, with Bunny Livingstone and Peter Tosh.

25. Bigvin68

Bigvin68 Well-Known Member

Yeah Bud, listened to that set about 5 days ago and thought it was awesome,for some reason that release was getting some negative reviews , not sure why thought it was pretty sweet.