The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

RT 4.1

Disc 1 5/23/69

Hard to Handle

Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven

Burning blazing Primal Dead - jamming during the latter is very intense. Not sure I’m doing the Lovelight tonight....

2. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I once saw a guitar listed on Ebay signed by Marc Bolan. It was some 1990s era Strat copy.

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, trd and 3 others like this.
  3. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Late to the discussion, but thumbs up for GD covering Knockin'. I really liked Jerry's choice for the 3rd verse with the sun setting in the Western skies. Liked it enough (and it was easy enough :) to add it to my own bands repertoire at the time. I've always wondered where that 3rd verse came from. I know Dylan sang a lot of alt verses/lyrics live or in outtakes, but I've never seen those particular lines other than from Jerry.
    Knockin' On Heaven's Door

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

29 April 1977- The Palladium, NYC.

Scarlet Begonias > Goin' Down The Road, Feeling Bad.

A tidbit that saw official release as filler on a Download Series show. The transition is Kind.

5. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Yes, that one is an interesting and well-orchestrated stretch. Thanks for the suggestion! :unhunh:

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

eBay is Grade A, prime "buyer beware" territory. I have a Further 2010 Fall Tour poster that my brother bought me. I recently saw it on eBay at a "buy it now" price of $210. Yeah, right! I have a fairly sizable poster collection, and I know what's worth something and what's worth not much.

budwhite likes this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Fantastic live album . . .

"I know that the life I'm living's no good; I'll get a new start, live the life I should" . . .

[​IMG]
    1971/2012 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab ‎– MFSL 2-367
    2 × Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Numbered, Reissue, Gatefold, 180 gram

Crispy Rob, trd, Spadeygrove and 7 others like this.
  8. jpgarry1

jpgarry1 Forum Resident

A show I wish they would release! One of the main reasons is I was there! And in a very altered state as I believe most of the crowd! The opening was one of my all time favorites!

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Red Rocks #2, 82-07-28

Great FOH recording from Jim Wise.
    Nice mix, Jerry is loud.
    These shows are great if you don't like the plinky Brent years much. He is playing a lot of piano here.

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Red Rocks #3, 82-07-29.

Another great FOH by Jim Wise.
    Jerry plays some ripping guitar in Friend of Devil, damn!

11. Bigvin68

Bigvin68 Well-Known Member

Quick question for everyone, how much of your listening does the Grateful Dead take up and who else do you listen to a lot? Mine is 55% GD and 40% phish and 5% everyone else. Hard listening to anyone else when there are so many great shows and jams from the GD and Phish.

12. US Blues

I don't have the problem of having to fit Phish into my routine, so I have more time for the GD, and for other things. "Other" leans towards jazz a fair bit, along with other classic music.

Lefty Wright and bzfgt like this.
  13. RueBourbon76

RueBourbon76 Forum Resident

The existence of a multi-track of 7-18-76 necessitates the resurrection of the 'From The Vault' series...It doesn't seem to fit in the box set format (nor Dave's Picks as they don't do multi-tracks) so the only other possibility would be some sort of download format in the future.

budwhite and unravelled like this.
  14. RueBourbon76

I may have been mentioned this earlier but I would say about 90%. I have been listening to full shows since only 2017 and I have a lot of catching up to do to get caught up...Dick's Picks, Dave's Picks, 30 Trips, Europe'72, the '77 box sets, etc. I have listened to the last three Dave's Picks only once I am so swamped.

laf848 and US Blues like this.
  15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It could be a standalone like Rockin' the Cradle or the 12/31/76 release.

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

True, neither is Three From the Vault.

budwhite, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  17. RueBourbon76

...the general public or the casual Dead fan wouldn't go for 7-18-76 like Cornell or Red Rocks but the knowledgeable Dead fan who has been loyally purchasing physical Dead product for the last quarter century will get hooked by the nostalgia angle that is 'From The Vault'.

unravelled, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  18. US Blues

Red Rocks is still in the store (dead.net), as is a bunch of older stuff. Rockin' The Cradle seems to have sold out. I suspect that 18 July 1976 would do fine on its own.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. RueBourbon76

...you put 7-18-76 for sale on deadnet as a limited edition and it sells out faster than RFK '89 guaranteed...and this is coming from someone who has enjoyed the summer '89 tour.

US Blues likes this.
  20. RueBourbon76

...another candidate for the resurrected Vault series would be 2-18-71 but this will likely come attached to a future '71 box set released much to the chagrin of the 72-74 fans who view '71 to be a sloppy mess.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Smart man :cool: Big Sky Country JRAD show is going to be a blast!

[​IMG]

gdpeck, Gollum, mmthmj and 11 others like this.
  22. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Looks Like Rain 6/28/76...Donna is WONDERFUL. The drummers get a bit too busy towards the end for my taste, but still a good version and a great performance by Donna.

It varies. My listening to Phish and the Dead tends to be inversely related, but sometimes it's more Phish than Dead, sometimes the other way around. Lately it's been way more Dead. I also spend a lot of my listening devoted to music that is completely unrelated to Phish/Dead/jambands.

I have a ticket to the Red Rocks show and am seriously considering making the trek up to Montana for that show.

mmthmj, Crispy Rob, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  23. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

FWIW, there's still plenty of time between now and the end of August to get Phish tickets. That said, I'm doing JRAD at Red Rocks and Heart at the Pepsi Center, and only casually looking for Friday and Sunday Phish tickets.

mmthmj likes this.
  24. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

My Dead listening is down some this year, but I feel like jam bands in general (small amount of Phish and JRAD, fair amount of WSP and Gov't Mule) make up the bulk of my listening time. I'm apt to seesaw back and forth between improv based music and the heavier side of the music spectrum. A little psych rock too, since it can intersect in my weird musical tastes. And instrumental music or jazz will always do the trick while I'm at work.

25. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Total aside, but I just saw Kikagaku Moyo and Weeed last night, and they both put on great shows. From what you've briefly said here I bet they'd be in your wheelhouse.

GuidedByJonO))), bzfgt and STGATX like this.