The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Most likely... But, at the moment, that was all I could think of. Now, I can go to the Lossless sites and/or torrent for the FLAC version (I hope!)

bzfgt likes this.
  2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Dude, the original mixes of China Cat Sunflower and What’s Become of the Baby are a must!

Also, that re-arranged version of Clementine on the live disc is pretty cool. However, it’s a little “over arranged” and complex which means its fate was to be dropped. The GD tended to drop stuff that was too complex and arranged to allow easy jamming. For example, that’s probably why Unbroken Chain didn’t make it into rotation in 1974.

Weather Report Suite is an exception to this, of course.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Listening again to 1969-11-08 (Dick 16)...this should be released....that's what we say, and I see no reason to deviate from the practice in this case. It's proper, in the Hammerian sense...

4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I wasn’t sure what “Who are the flower people” was and this is what I found when googling it. This is not what Caboose brings to mind when I listen to it, it has a little bit of a Yes vibe (particularly, I find in the “instruments” part) and a lot of this vibe:

[​IMG]

I’ll be sure to check those out when I can finally manage to get off of Anthem, whose original mix I’ve been digging more, although in its case I’ve been primarily focused on Caboose and Born Cross-eyed. In the past I’ve only ever listened to Anthem in the dark and without looking at the track listing and the track display on the CD player, so, in comparing the different mixes and switching between different versions of the same track, I’ve only recently realized that Cross-eyed is actually a separate song from Caboose.

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I knew "Born Cross-Eyed" because one of the first Dead albums I had was the What A Long Strange Trip It's Been double album that included the single version.

6. trd

trd Forum Resident

Well, would you look at that...

[​IMG]

7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I suppose I should’ve known this too as I have the King’s Beach Bowl DiP which has a Cross-Eyed > Spanish jam that is separate from Caboose, but I haven’t listened to all this stuff enough yet to connect all the dots. I guess most of the time I just put on the music and listening without referring back to the track listings or the track delineations.

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

This is my entire Beethoven collection.
    [​IMG]

Crispy Rob, Ezzie, adamos and 11 others like this.
  9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I listened to that 11-8-69 sequence one night a month or two ago (probably only my second time listening to it since I first got it year before last), and my impression this time of that Dark Star and jams was that it had strong potential for my top Stars list. Funny how that works as I seem to recall being less enthusiastic about that one the first time I listened to it.

10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

How about a box set of all the bands that played that weekend. :agree:

11. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

And Away We Gooooooo> Fun, Fun, Fun. Wife hit this as well but just did not know she was mine...

12. sami

sami Mono still rules

In fairness, George to just about anyone would be a step down. I credit Bobby for giving it a go.

13. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 9/7/90[Richfield Ohio]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Cold Rain And Snow.

footlooseman likes this.
  14. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

This arrived through my letterbox this morning funnily enough, courtesy of fleabay. Have been playing it all day. CD2 is immense - HCS -> WRS -> DS Jam -> Eyes -> SM

Crispy Rob, adamos, KCWhistle and 5 others like this.
  15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

First spin in a couple of weeks — perfect sunny Sunday morning listening . . .

"River gonna take me, sing me sweet and sleepy
    Sing me sweet and sleepy all the way back home" . . .

[​IMG]
    1970/2018 Rhino Records (2) ‎– 79306-6 RHI, Warner Bros. Records ‎– WS 1893
    A Newbury Comics exclusive colour vinyl pressing.
    Limited edition of 1000.

Mad Dog, Crispy Rob, ARK and 13 others like this.
  16. trd

trd Forum Resident

Finally had some time at home to relax and listen to music today. I listened all the way through Daves 24. I haven’t listened to this one much since a first pass through when it arrived. Nothing in the first half of the first set really jumped out at me until FOTD. I love the 72 versions of this song. The slower dirge pace of a few years later can be a beautiful lament but I likely the optimism conveyed in the faster versions. Bird Song is quite good as well. The Playin is great, I only wish it were a little longer.

The big jam - Truckin>Other One>Stella Blue - is a monster suite. Setting aside the mastering issues with the bass (seriously lets not talk about it :D) Phil’s playing is other worldly. They first tunes are a cumulative total of 44 minutes and Phil’s playing touches on every nook, cranny, crevice and ravine of his instrument’s tones. Thundering and aggressive, nimble and delicate.

I’ll listen to that one again tomorrow for sure

Presently Dave’s 23 Terrapin>drums>Other One>Close Encounters Space>St. Stephen segment is just beginning

Wolf! This thread has turned me into a 78 believer

17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'd imagine that there's a possibility that they recorded it more than once. The vocalists on the ~1970 version I'm referring to are:
    • Gwyneth Jones - s
    • Tatiana Troyanos - c
    • Jess Thomas - t
    • Karl Ridderbusch - b
    It blows the doors off, so tighten your latches.

At around 5:50 of St. Stephen, Phil gets creative with the chord changes (Jerry doesn't miss a beat) and at the 6:00 mark, he goes into full Bach Sonata mode, if only for a short spell. Meanwhile, Jerry's just blistering away. Who does this stuff???

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

playing Touch Of Grey...pure pop!

19. Michael

that is a beautiful thing...I like looking at it! playing it... no...

20. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

21. Michael

ah ah ah ah ah ah ha...I don't play vinyl...gimmie a break. ; ) I'm still laughing....good one! hey! I play the CD!

SJR, Archtop, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  22. latheofheaven

That suite from Dave's 23 is one of my favourites! :)

Crispy Rob, trd, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  23. DocShipe

DocShipe Forum Resident

Bertha—Good Lovin’ 9/3/77. Have to say I’m getting into more the fall winter 77 stuff. They’re still tight but they also sound more amped up.

24. latheofheaven

Actually, I was confusing this one with the Red Rocks Estimated Prophet suite later in that year, sorry...

ianuaditis, trd and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Reading your post earlier this evening reminded me that I’ve also only listened to DaP 24 once since it was released and I thought it would be a good idea to revisit it tonight as well. My plans were slightly delayed after returning home from dinner when a shoe to bare foot collision between my son and self resulted in a diagnosis of a broken left pinky toe (for me) following a subsequent trip to the hospital for x-rays. But, now I’m back to regular scheduled programming and am about to dive into this sucker. The setlist looks promising, at least, as it has a lot of my favorites (CR&S, BTW, He’s Gone, Loser, Black Peter, Jack Straw, FotD, Bird Song, PitB, B, T>TOO>SB).

A few weeks ago I was wondering about what my favorite GD songs might be, I didn’t arrive to an absolute list but any such list would be sure to include Black Peter and Bird Song, with He’s Gone likely to be included. Also, BTW and Bertha would be strong contenders. My conclusion thus far is that I might have a preference for songs that begin with “B”.