The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yeah, I dig the classic '60s Steve Miller Band and yes, Miles could be an ****ole, but it's true - most rock bands are "non-playing m********ers" compared to Miles' 1970 band.

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob, adamos, sami and 10 others like this.
  2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Yeah, he was definitely a "I'm great and I know it" type. A lot of these people probably are, but some are sly enough never to state it publicly.

3. trd

trd Forum Resident

No criticism of Steve here, his greatest hits was a formative CD the year between 8th grade and freshman year. Seeing him in concert in the summer was a high school tradition. In fact I first sampled the devil’s lettuce at one of his shows!

Crispy Rob, sami, KCWhistle and 5 others like this.
  4. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

After his Fillmore East debut in March 1970, Miles opened for the Dead (but was billed above Stone the Crows and Brotherhood of Light) at Fillmore West in April 1970, opened for Laura Nyro at Fillmore East in June, opened for Leon Russell but probably came on after Sea Train at Fillmore West in October, and finally shared a bill with Elvin Bishop and Mandrill (where he's the top name on the poster) at Fillmore West in May 1971. For whatever reason, it seems that the first gig was the only time Graham had him play two sets. Instead, it looks like he started playing one longer set for the Fillmore crowds, usually over an hour.

adamos, sami, Dahabenzapple and 3 others like this.
  5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

A lot of the kids from my neighborhood growing up were metal dudes, and at one after school gathering one of them, our host that day, said 'I'm going to put on some hippie music,' and it was Steve Miller, which maybe isn't the textbook definition, since it was that same album which is more like 'mainstream 70s classic rock.'

Miles did have good things to say about Garcia in his book.

still on 6-8-77, I had to listen to the spacy part of the jam again, there's another 'near Dark Star' there if you want there to be.

Maybe the thing was the pairing of Other One>Wharf Rat that started way back in 71, that made Dark Star superfluous to requirements by 76...like in the Electric Kool Aid Acid Test he talks about how when the Pranksters couldn't get LSD they'd just take a bunch of speed and then smoke marijuana, and it was what they had to make do with.

Crispy Rob, sami, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  6. wavethatflag

I'm a joker I'm a smoker I'm a midnight toker

7. notesofachord

I love the poster for that one:

[​IMG]

8. wavethatflag

Watch out! Archtop will burst in wielding his T-square.
    For some reason I'm thinking about near the end of the book when Kesey and pals are trying to trip without acid, and it's not working. I guess then you knew it was time to mothball the bus for a bit.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Crispy Rob, sami, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  9. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Was is Crockett or Cheech---never watched the show --- nice get for Phil...

wavethatflag likes this.
  10. notesofachord

Yeah, the opening riff of "Fly Like an Eagle" is groovy, but it was even better when it was "My Dark Hour":

Featuring Paul McCartney (listen to the backing vocals, drums, bass, and right channel guitar):

sami, KCWhistle and budwhite like this.
  11. notesofachord

If you thought 1970s Steve Miller Band was "hippie" music, you should hear the '60s stuff. But I digress, this is The Grateful Thread, not the Miller Thread...

"Brave New World"

12. wavethatflag

I know what you're talking about--Don Johnson cop show with Cheech Marin and some dude who was a cop but dressed like a Deadhead. It was set in San Francisco. Going to imdb.com ...

Nash Bridges, 1996-2001.

My biggest problem with '77 is Estimated is pre-Screaming Bobby.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    bzfgt, Matthew Tate and budwhite like this.
  13. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I have a copy of his 1974-78 Greatest Hits--it seemed like everybody at college bought it from a record club in the late '80s thru 1991, until Nirvana hit. It's a good collection of catchy tunes, but I'll also say that when I saw the SMB circa 1996-97 it was the most canned, rote jukebox concert I've ever seen. My friends seemed to be satisfied, I thought it was boring.

I don't know what they were like on stage in 1970; maybe Steve Miller didn't have his **** going for him then, either. Miles was really mercurial, though. He could say terribly cutting things about someone like Steve Miller, but then he loved The 5th Dimension, and in the '80s he was very generous and friendly with the guys in Toto. Go figure.

14. notesofachord

The best Steve Miller stuff is '67 - '70. Not as famous, but very groovy.

laf848, rockinlazys, davmar77 and 5 others like this.
  15. wavethatflag

I just shake my head at those who are Steve Lukather crazy here, but all those guys could really play. So maybe it was that and Miles had mellowed. Weren't they all studio pros before they were a band?

frightwigwam and budwhite like this.
  16. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I search for 'Grateful Dead Reaction' videos on youtube sometimes.

I haven't found any new ones of note, but I did find this Egypt video of Bertha.

Such a shame they couldn't have put out 'Rocking the Cradle ' in 78, there was plenty of good stuff there, that's a superlative Bertha in that video, another 20 minutes of material like that could have been cobbled, surely.

ARK, adamos, bzfgt and 5 others like this.
  17. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

that's very cool!!

notesofachord likes this.
  18. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I'd really love to get to the bottom of this issue. I suspect there is a grain of truth in Bear's insistence that there weren't two shows a night at the Fillmore East, if only in the sense that maybe not every act played the early show. We'll probably never know.

Evidently it was a little different at the Fillmore West - two sets a night, not two shows...or so I believe. One ticket? Not a bad night's investment for a few dollars.

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Radio Luxembourg 1972

Crispy Rob, laf848, adamos and 3 others like this.
  20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I love this sequence of comments from the New Speedway Boogie video:

[​IMG]
    Tom Reynolds
    6 days ago
    93 was awesome and I'm done with people who take 92-95 put it in a box and beat it with a bat...mostly I think it's new fans who are regurgitating sh** one guy who saw them 3 times in 90 said to justify that he saw them in their last peak...

[​IMG]
    Twotontessie
    3 days ago
    1993 > 1991 for sure

[​IMG]
    Tom Reynolds
    3 days ago
    @Twotontessie Well now you're talking crazy....

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and KCWhistle like this.
  21. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

Always loved this bit in Miles' autobio. Has anyone ever asked Steve Miller about it?

(and I'm told that some editions of the book omit this quote, which is strange, if true)

Spadeygrove likes this.
  22. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Miller and his people have long arms

mw1917, trd and ianuaditis like this.
  23. timriepe

timriepe Forum Resident

A few months ago I was reading the Miles autobiography and I laughed out loud at the Steve Miller quote. I will also say that it really put things in perspective that even Miles said some nice things about Jerry. It really shows that the Grateful Dead were so special that even the jazz cats could see something in them even if they weren’t necessarily fans. Everytime someone says that the Grateful Dead just “noodled” I cringe.

Crispy Rob, trd, KCWhistle and 5 others like this.
  24. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Neither, it was a character named Harvey Leek, played by Jeff Perry.

[​IMG]

hyde park, dsdu and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

Jeff Perry (Harvey Leek on the show)

hyde park and Matthew Tate like this.