The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Sambahead

sami and ianuaditis like this.
  2. bzfgt

Hidzis ap80. I think I finally figured out how to use it....it tool a while to figure out how to eject it.

Expensive compared to an external hard drive, for one thing....last time I bought a 1tb drive it was about 40 or 50 bucks.

Every card is like buying a new player....

500 Dead shows is only going to take me so far....

sami, US Blues and John69 like this.
  3. John69

John69 Forum Resident

True about the external hard drive being much cheaper, but for portability I think the micro sd cards are a good deal.

Good deal. Enjoy it!

bzfgt and sami like this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Because Jerry didn’t have a problem with it.

what Healy was doing didn’t come up as a problem until the UNC SBD’s started turning up for sale in record stores. At exactly that point Weirs guitar missing from the mix became a Fireable offense.

uzn007, budwhite and sami like this.
  5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Sounds good so far on my laptop. This show, along with 25 May 1977- The Mosque, were recorded by a woman who had saved her masters all these years and go them to Charlie for transfer. The fact that treasures like this continue to appear as if out of thin air is a miracle.

I Need a miracle everyday!

Crispy Rob, LucaB, adamos and 3 others like this.
  6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I just received mine this week and it was sealed in cellphone.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

But certainly not as obscure as The Fall, who I know about only because of your posts.

The Pete Shelley lyric where he says he believes in the final solution bugs me. How am I supposed to be hearing that?

You can answer in the Un-Grateful if you want, just tag the flag.

sami and bzfgt like this.
  8. bzfgt

Dunno...he also says he believes in immaculate conception and perpetual motion...maybe some irony? One hopes so...

notesofachord and sami like this.
  9. wavethatflag

I think so. He may be saying he believes it happened. When I found out the origin of Joy Division's name, I didn't like that either. But fake Tony Wilson explains the name in 24-Hour Party People. I think the point was to rebrand such terms by associating them with something positive, such as a dour post-industrial rock band from Manchester whose lead singer willingly checks out after two albums.

WWII really left Europe scarred. That may be an obvious statement, but the war gets reflected back to the audience in a lot of UK music. And although I'm mixing genres here, don't even get me started on Roger Waters. Yes, your dad died in the war, and it was terrible, and you feel bad.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  10. US Blues

When you're listening to Pink Floyd and you begin to wonder if you're actually serving as Roger Water's unpaid mental health professional. I stopped listening to The Wall a month or two after I bought it because I found the lyrics to be simply dismal.

11. bzfgt

And from the Yanks

LucaB, Dahabenzapple and wavethatflag like this.
  12. wavethatflag

A couple years before I would get into the GD, I knew this guy who listened to The Wall constantly. And then he stopped listening to it and all of a sudden became a Deadhead who was always in a hackey sack circle. I didn't understand any of it. I still don't. Maybe he was depressed and Jerry saved him.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  13. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

10/23-24/1971
    [​IMG]

10/24-25/1969
    [​IMG]

14. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

At least one of the memoirs, and various other sources, say that Healy was fired because he messed with Sting's sound when he opened for the Dead in Summer '93, which embarrassed the band--although Healy didn't actually leave until the following Spring, and he later claimed that he wasn't fired, he quit.

15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

You’ve obviously never heard Bobby’s regular singing voice. :D

bzfgt, US Blues and notesofachord like this.
  16. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Healy in 2007:

"In the last year of the Grateful Dead, I bowed out," he says. "Technically, they said they fired me, but I quit. I couldn't go on. I would go back to the hotel after a show in tears. I saw Jerry, a man who I had great love and respect for personally and professionally, killing himself. And there was nothing any of us could do anything about except ride it out. But the emotional strain was more than I could bear."

Dan Healy: Sound mix master for the Grateful Dead - Marin Independent Journal

US Blues and budwhite like this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I don’t doubt that was part of it, it was a list of occurrences that had a lot to do with his huge ego and love of coke. I’m far from being an insider but I did do about 40 shows from the tapers section and spent a good deal of time with guys that had been recording since the the 70’s. Healy thought a lot of himself, almost as if he were a member of the band. As such, he made creative decisions that crossed the line. To his credit, he was generally right with his choices and an expert at what he was doing. With sting, I thing messing with his sound was not giving him as much volume as the band which isn’t uncommon for a sound guy to do for the opening act.

adamos, uzn007, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

handing out board patches didn't help either...

US Blues and Dennis0675 like this.
  19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I was there for that, it was wild.

Erik B., US Blues and fishcane like this.
  20. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Combination of that, and irony, and symmetry. The line before that is "I believe in the workers revolution", so communism, Nazism. It's more a "list of things" than a list of things that Shelley (either songwriter or character in the song) actually believed in. The whole song is about how confused and uncertain he is, so the implication is that he's believing in everything in hopes of making some sense of it all. "I believe in perpetual motion / And I believe in perfect devotion" etc. In these two lines (especially the second, given Shelley's body of work), the narrator is clearly indicating that he believes in things that don't exist.

notesofachord and bzfgt like this.
  21. US Blues

I saw the boys at Nassau a week after the NC shows. A friend of mine handed me very crisp cassettes of SBD's when we met up in the lot. Those tapes made the rounds in record time.

22. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

10/25/69 - what a night! Great Dark Star that needs to be on DL2's release list. And definitely seek out the Airplane's set from 10/25, that's a great one too.

23. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Been spending some time with this gray area release of the 7/18/76 show. Lots of pleasant surprises and further proof of just how great and unexpected ''76 could be. Quite possible my favorite standalone version of "Scarlet Begonias", there's a point where almost exactly simultaneously the band drops the volume to next to nothing and plays really quietly before building back up to a gorgeous Jerry solo. It's sublime.

laf848, US Blues, KCWhistle and 2 others like this.
  24. Tony Morrall

Tony Morrall Active Member

I second that .... After Anthem this is my all time favourite (regular) release

Six Bachelors likes this.
  25. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation. I just pulled this up on Relisten, which is truly a rare occurrence for me. 1976 was an awfully good year for Scarlet Begonias.

EDIT: This show also has Might as Well, Lazy Lightning>Supplication, Let It Grow, St. Stephen, The Wheel, Stella Blue, and Sugar Magnolia? I'm in the middle of both 10/19/74 and 12/6/71 already, but I may need to explore 7/18/76 further.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019