The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Wrong Californian band, bro!

bzfgt, sami, US Blues and 1 other person like this.
  2. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Had to put this on just yo hear that lovely song. Only Garcia can truly sing that song. Hunter was a genius.

Crispy Rob and SJR like this.
  3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

It's a really beautiful song.

Day_Tripper2019 and sami like this.
  5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

According to my hard drive the whole set of April shows that had been AWOL from the Vault have been shared from Dalton's DATS:

6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15 & 16 April 1978 are now in the wild.

The Vault has always had: 18, 19, 22, and 24.

I am uncertain regarding the provenance and location of Betty's reels for 21 April.

6. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

The suggestion seems to be that the stage was prepared for the Sears Point location, where it would have been at the top of an incline.

It's easy to look at the whole situation and wonder what they were thinking but I guess that does a disservice to the spirit of the times - of being able to do things and people getting together for something positive without the need for laws and prohibitions and restrictions and control. It just didn't work out so well...

By the way, the Stones show from that day is phenomenal. They were up against it but the music seemed to feed off the aggression.

7. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Was that your soul that I saw wandering around there yesterday when I drove by SPAC ??:)

8. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Currently on NoD. My fave Feel Like A Stranger and a really good I Need A Miracle are some of the highlights.

Michael Chominski and Crispy Rob like this.
  9. sami

sami Mono still rules

For sure. That's pretty much my reaction any time I'm subjected to it - just different levels of horror.

10. sami

sami Mono still rules

Now I know which show will be next for me.

Crispy Rob, notesofachord and Archtop like this.
  11. sami

sami Mono still rules

You and me both, my friend.

Oliver likes this.
  12. sami

sami Mono still rules

I sometimes laugh to keep from crying.

KCWhistle likes this.
  13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Now I realise that there's a phallus with the two testicles in the Aoxomoxoa cover

14. sami

sami Mono still rules

9/21/72 .... 9/21/72 ... 9/21/72 ... 9/21/72 ... 9/21/72 ... 9/21/72 ... 9/21/72 ... 9/21/72 .... 9/21/72 ... 9/21/72 ... 9/21/72 ... 9/21/72 ... 9/21/72 ... 9/21/72 ....................................

15. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Some recent mentions of Greyfolded reminded me that I hadn’t listened to that since probably the 90’s. I didn’t have a copy anymore so I bought one on Discogs. Definitely a cool listen and a rather Dark Star thing to do to Dark Star. I also forgot that the liner notes are pretty extensive and that Jerry, Phil and Robert Hunter were interviewed for it.

16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

sami likes this.
  17. sami

sami Mono still rules

Definitely need to be in the mood and the 'zone' for that one.

notesofachord and adamos like this.
  18. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

19. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Im just on a break for now. The urge for more Dead will hit me when I receive my boxset next week ;)

I know I have heard the show/run but id have to check my Master Reviews to tell you what I thought :D

ianuaditis, KCWhistle and US Blues like this.
  20. ianuaditis

Using the binks meme was intended to convey at least some sense of 'piss take,' (mostly because I know how well that one is regarded around here,) but in all seriousness, the few times I've heard 4-8 it hasn't managed to dethrone either of the two favorites I mentioned. DS>Sugar>Caution is an all-time sequence, but just in terms of what happens within the confines of Dark Star, I'm not fully convinced.

I've listened to 4-8 more recently than either of the other two, but that was all the way back on March 28! I started 72 almost a year ago, I've only made it to 5-13, but I'm kind of saving it because most of the years I haven't gone through yet are from the 80s and 90s so I want to keep something vintage in reserve. (I'm also doing Garcia solo year by year starting with 72, so that will give me some more classic era tapes to mix in.)

Meanwhile today it's 'silver age' GoGD, 10-2-77.

KCWhistle, Crispy Rob, Oliver and 3 others like this.
  21. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I don't know if I could do JGB years, not enough variety....

4-8 DS is the greatest piece of music ever played by anyone!

22. ianuaditis

I skip around a lot, I'm currently doing 72, 77, 92, 80, and 88 for the GD. Garcia/Saunders has enough variety from night to night to keep me going, and at least for the next year or so I will probably only resort to it occasionally. Most of the GD years I haven't done are from the 80s, and while in the past I've been perfectly capable of listening to nothing but 80s shows for days in a row, it will be good to have some contrast once I get done with 72.

Do find the Garcia/Saunders shows from Jan-Feb of 72 though, especially when they do 'Save Mother Earth.' This to me is the 'missing link' between the rather more restrained space jams of late 71 GD and the madness of 72.

uzn007, sami and bzfgt like this.
  23. I like the outtakes of "To Lay Me Down" the best. Really, Jerry is just going off. Some of his most committed, impassioned singing, drenched in so much reverb that it sounds like predawn matins in a cathedral.

24. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

That might work. I tend to believe the concept works best with 1-2 minute jams, but my current focus is on Shakedown jams, so we will see if that is viable. I'll have to evaluate Sugar Magnolia as well.

KCWhistle and ianuaditis like this.
  25. sami

sami Mono still rules

I found three shows on YouTube. Any other place to search?

ianuaditis likes this.