The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

I know, I know! That wasn't my only reason. There have been many issues with
    a particular, um, vendor that I won't go into here. Nearly pulled the trigger many times, but didn't trust that the target would be reached, so to speak. Regretted missing out as soon as I got the standalone Red Rocks release from Amazon instead. Still think I may have been burned elsewhere. Darned exclusives!:D

bzfgt and trd like this.
  2. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Hey all. I've been extremely busy with my photography lately, and most of my time at the computer is spent processing images. I have been listening to a lot of a Dead, however. More than usual, actually.

Anyway, I went to see Midge Ure last night and thought you might dig some of the video I recorded. Came out better than expected, to be honest. Midge played my favorite Bowie song, Lady Stardust, which absolutely floored me.

Midge Ure at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano, California, 1/17/2020 - YouTube

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Stop right there, mister. Leaving out 19 October 1973 is a crime! :cop:

4. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I wonder how many here have heard the original hard to handle?

ianuaditis and trd like this.
  5. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

1. second half of 72 and second half of 73
    2. IS? Can't say, I hope so by now. Back in the day, the inevitable CC Ryder / Rooster torture slot was a predictable lowlight.
    3. You can't blame us for thinking it would be great to hear Box of Rain again, and being very happy the first time we heard it. Until the audience noise died down, at least.
    4. 10 second scream/ 25 minute Playing in the Band = < 1%

Freebird, notesofachord and US Blues like this.
  6. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Seneca '77.

Probably not but aren't there a few Grateful Dead shows without any Garcia lead vocals in early '78?

Anyway, you know what I mean!

7. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Cool. I saw Midge one time on 1980-11-04 with Ultravox.
    They played this small club in Champaign-Urbana Illinois.
    Ultravox was a 4 piece at the time. But they had a tremendous amount of equipment.
    It's like every member of the band had a Wakeman level of synthesizers surrounding them.
    The stage was tiny. By the time all of that equipment was set up no one could budge on stage from their tiny little spot.
    Great show though!! I guess they almost tried to back out when they saw the stage.

notesofachord likes this.
  8. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

There are two versions of this LP the back has a different photograph with Bob tending to a seedling I believe (always thought it was a pot plant lol). I have that version. I think they are both legit.

9. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

I will say the breakout of Gimme Some Lovin' about blew the BCT up, so just for that energy I'm happy they played it....

10. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

All except my dream for 3/14/20 is for Donna to be a special guest and do the 2 screams on what would be a dream Playing sandwich:)

11. US Blues

This ^

David Stilesson and Billy_Sunday like this.
  12. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I had it in my collection for years before I heard the Dead recordings. I actually was taken aback when I first heard the Dead play it, because I suddenly understood where the Crowes were really coming from. Their record tracks more closely with the Dead's arrangement & Pigpen's vocal than the Otis original.

13. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I was responding to your statement:

Did I misinterpret? You seem to be saying that the quality of a first set can be predicted somewhat reliably by the setlist, and your example of a propitious setlist is "Promised Land, Rooster... LLR>Might as Well." My response is that that list of songs does not set my heart aflutter or make my eyes all aglow with anticipation. I was referring to no specific date, as I did not think you were.

14. bzfgt

We risk a sort of sorites regression here, beware

15. bzfgt

Wow, excellent quality

PointsNorth and scribbs like this.
  16. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

So you are saying you think the seedling was potted, and the seedling itself and the pot containing it were both legal?;)

17. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

I'd take this with a grain of sand.

18. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Interesting. I always thought the crowes version was closer to the original.

The otis show at the fillmore with the dead in 66 is one of my time machine choices. I have two different original handbills for those shows.

19. US Blues

30 January 1978- Uptown Theater, Chicago.

To our good fortune the usual suspects have released a fresh transfer of Dick's DAT, patched and pitched, available where all things of this nature first appear.

Estimated > Eyes > Spacey Drums > Stella Blue > Franklin's Tower

LATVALA!

20. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

This is a little tour within a tour. He's doing an oldies electric tour elsewhere, but sadly in the States he couldn't get a full band tour promotion, unlike last year where he double-billed with Paul Young.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

It is Otis Redding, isn’t it? I’ll admit that it was the third version I heard, Black Crowes, then Dead, then Otis.
    I’ll have to check out Tom Jones. He isn’t my cup of tea, but he has done some interesting covers.

KCWhistle and ianuaditis like this.
  22. bzfgt

So, you're saying a heap...

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I say absolutely 100% yes. Who played on it?
    Simple question and the answer is just as simple.

24. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I have seen/heard Weir play competent slide one time--9/24/88. This is also the show where @bzfgt made fun of my In The Dark album t-shirt.

25. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Wrapping up this sequence and just hit the Chuck Berry closer now.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.