The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I'd agree about the overkill, but there seems to be an endless market for GD cover/tribute acts. It's mind-boggling how many are out there.

Spadeygrove, uzn007 and Frosst like this.
  2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

3. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I was listening to one of the Grateful Dead Listening Guide podcasts last night with the Scarlet>Fire from 7/31/82, which I didn't realize was in the 30 Trips box until this morning. I really do need to go through that whole thing in order. Anyway, my god, that Scarlet Begonias just has a GREAT groove right from the get-go. And the solo! :love: From about 3:30-6:00 on the CD version, Jerry runs through a five-verse solo and just doesn't let up. I don't remember who it was around here that made the observation that he was great at playing solos that sort of follow the vocal melody but not slavishly so, and that really stuck with me. This one's a fine example of that, I think. It's also just an amazing segment for demonstrating his imagination and lack of repetitiveness.

Otherwise I'm spending today with 9/27/72 (Dick's 11). These post-Europe shows are so interesting to me. On the one hand, there's clearly been some growth since Europe -- He's Gone and Playin' in the Band are really starting to stretch out -- but there are still standalone versions of both of those, as well as Truckin'. After a lot of time spent with 73 and 74, this stuff still takes me by surprise.

4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The Mime Troup...Garcia called it the "Meem Troup" rather than the "Myme Troup," I always thought he just didn't know how to pronounce "mime." But Healy calls it the "Meem Troup" too...what is with that? Is it some kind of inside thing?

fishcane, wavethatflag and KCWhistle like this.
  5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Thanks to the ruthless brainwashing of reading this thread mixed with ongoing confusion about which shows and which releases happened when and where, I just did a rigorous inventory of my Dead albums and box sets and Dick’s and Road Trips and Dave’s, etc., and correlated them chronologically using the Grateful Dead Family Discography By Date page.

Preliminary findings:

— I’ve got a metric ****-ton of Grateful Dead music.

— It’s really nice, after years of muddling, to consider a timeframe and now be able to zoom and see which specific releases and recording sessions and tours cover the period, and peruse the order in which they are located on the calendar.

6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I think it's French.

languagehat.com : MIME OR MEEM?

I knew I'd heard it that way before. It's like the Seinfeld episode where George's girlfriend insists on pronouncing "papier-mache" the French way.

7. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

trd, mBen989, wavethatflag and 7 others like this.
  8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]
    Cross posting this for @Archtop
    If only Keith and Phil could’ve done a dueling bass solo

9. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

One of my favorite things is seeing how the releases tend to cluster, and how so often the new releases wind up serving as extensions of older ones. 3/24/73 (Dave's 32) expands on 3/28 (Dave's 16) and 4/2 (Dave's 21). 10/29/77 (Dave's 33) will pair with 11/2 (filler on both Dick's 34 and Dave's 12), 11/4 (Dave's 12), 11/5 (Dick's 34), and 11/6 (Dave's 25). And 6/23/74 (Dave's 34, with filler from 6/22) will go right smack dab between RT 2.3 (6/16 and 6/18) and Dick's 12 (6/26 and 6/28).

Crispy Rob, laf848, trd and 7 others like this.
  10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Keith could make music on a beach ball.

11. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Finished listening to 6/8/74 a little earlier today. Fantastic show, great versions of songs such as Brown Eyed Women, Mexicali Blues, Promised Land and One More Saturday Night. A huge highlight was Eyes Of The World, really funky and bouncy. The China > Rider was also phenomenal. Oh and the Morning Dew that followed up Eyes should not be left out. So groovy.

1974 was really a peak year, every show I hit from this year further proves that point. By now my fave period of the Dead is '72 - '74. Such greatness!

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

[​IMG]

13. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I just had something called "Proto 18 Proper" come up on my shuffle. It's an instrumental outtake from Blues For Allah. Nice little thing that I had not heard before. If you have 4 minutes give it a spin and tell me what it reminds you of. Did it become a real song? With vocals it sounds like it would be on a Jerry album. I dunno. My brain is fried at the end of the work day.

14. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 1/23/70[Hawaii]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing China Cat Sunflower.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I found this on YouTube by searching that title. Reminds me of "Hey Pocky Way" but in an odd meter (18/8, 10+8).

16. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

There doesn't appear to be a story behind it that I can find. I was thinking that it may have later been developed into something but perhaps not. A pleasant surprise on the shuffle today.

wavethatflag and Archtop like this.
  17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It reminds me of a variant of Crazy Fingers. Then again, everything on that album including the outtakes sounds like that album. Groove #1 and Groove #2 are better, so you'll have to wait until 2030 for those to come up on shuffle or you could simply digest those immediately. In any case, this is their studio pinnacle, IMO.

Edit: Damn, the 5/14/78 Let it Grow rips, dunnit?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  18. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Yes! That's my go-to Let It Grow since the Porch Crusher came out.

19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The next Dave's Pick will offer up another fine Let It Grow.

20. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

plus it’s the longest ever:)

ianuaditis, bzfgt, Archtop and 2 others like this.
  21. LucaB

LucaB Forum Resident

this am Dicks 2 (segment of Cleveland Halloween '71) and Road Trips Vol 4 No 4 (Spectrum Apr '82). I haven't listened to this RT in quite a while. Solid Shakedown and a beautiful Terrapin.

22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

7/12/90 RFK today. I stopped by for Victim > Foolish Heart > Dark Star but I got into it so I’m sticking around.

Billy_Sunday, Crispy Rob, trd and 9 others like this.
  23. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Revisiting 4/7/72 after quite a long time. Still my favourite GD show of them all, the one that truly hooked me on this amazing band. Especially the first set, perfection from the first note to the last.

24. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Spending some time with DiP #2 (10/31/71) this week in anticipation of the next episode of that new Dick's podcast. The "Dark Star" is great, but can I just reiterate once again that the transition into "Sugar Mags" is...

[​IMG]

25. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

ianuaditis likes this.