The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

In regards to @Freebird's reply about live performance from 1976, I'd have to agree. It's still one of
    my favorite years because of those moments of 'deep adventure'. The appreciation started not too
    many years ago when I finally 'got it' and started loving DP 20 after spinning it countless times.
    Other shows that I collected, including the Orpheum July 16 show con't to confirm that the playing
    was a study in more experimentation, improv, a re-sketching of setlists, songs that of course, led to the
    stellar tour of '77. Over the last few years the vaults have unloaded with great '76 shows. I've had
    the Cow Palace show for years, and have yet to play it, an unexplained quirk of mine (of many-lol).
    But I've been looking forward to playing it since I acquired it. It is like some forbidden fruit I keep
    saving up for, whatever that means. I will grace my abode with a spin of it and quite soon.

NP... with a nod to the '70-72 period, a pair here including a studio and a great DP... disc one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

interesting- is that technically a 'bootleg' unauthorized recording, i wonder? I don't have that official release, and i see copies on e bay are like 200-300 bucks. it is on amazon music (and maybe itunes?) for a digital mp3 (?) copy, tho.

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

No, that's an authorized re-issue as far as I know. I don't have that one, but if I'm not mistaken, there are some serious pitch issues with this one. Shame really, as the performance is great.

US Blues likes this.
  4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Guess we all have different ideas as to what constitutes deep adventure

wavethatflag and US Blues like this.
  5. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I made a note of this after reading your post last summer and yesterday was the day it jumped out on my listening list and declared its time had come. It is indeed a nice Terrapin; mellow in a good way with kind of a dream-like quality and then it revs up in the latter portion. I still need to finish Drums through the end but I’m definitely enjoying this show.

6. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Real Gone is a legit label, not a pirate, no.

ARK, Matthew Tate and bzfgt like this.
  7. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

On the Great Phil Moments theme, I don’t even know if my example fits into Astounding Improvisation, but the first thing I always think of is Phil’s bursting, belching, RAW roar into Other One from Cape Cod 10/27/79. And it’s a pretty good ride to appreciate the “Dancing > Franklins, He’s Gone>” that brings you to that moment. That segment remains one of my most indelible show memories.

Enjoy! This is another IWT show for me, that I loved at the time, but somehow tapes never captivated me until several months ago when I had this on repeat for a week or so. Another great upstate NY gig... that was good terrain for the band, when the metro/coastal deadhead kids made it out of Gotham for college and the more relaxed confines of municipal civic centers and college gyms.

8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Yes. I hate the speed :)

9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Thanks - I haven't heard this. On He's Gone and it's starting to really percolate. TOO in 3 minutes...

[Edit]: Nice. As a companion to this, and you likely have already heard this, but on 5/3/72 (same venue, the night following a hot Soft Machine show; one of Elton Dean's last with the band), Phil plays that TOO riff no fewer than 6 times (starting at 6:43) before they finally decide to get there. At first Jerry's a no go, and then Jerry decides to go there and Phil stomps that out; then Phil decides to go there and Jerry's not buying in...almost absurd in how ridiculous it all is but it's a fine listen.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  10. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I need one of those in my life. Really cool.

11. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

I’m sure they won’t mind me mentioning, but the seller on eBay is Custardboxrecords, and also has his own site :)

johnnypaddock and ianuaditis like this.
  12. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

This was a fun read:

Bob Weir and His Daughters Talk About His Iconic Grateful Dead Looks

On a more serious note, I had never heard about the intended back cover for Go to Heaven, so that was an interesting nugget.

The record was going to be called Go to Heaven, and when you turned it over, we would be wearing either red suits or these same suits, except all beat up, and it would be “Go to Hell.” We’d be hanging out on some door stoop with empty bottles and all that. But the guys didn’t have the patience to do the back cover. They were like, “Enough. **** it. We did the cover!”

Billy_Sunday, STGATX, uzn007 and 11 others like this.
  13. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I’ve got a couple reissued Dick’s Picks from Real Gone and they sound as good as the DP copies. The only difference is some branding

Oliver likes this.
  14. trd

trd Forum Resident

15. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

They have some really great album covers, that one is among their best.

I still can't believe people took it seriously and complained about it.

also, I'd respect Mayer immensely if he came out in a pink polo and cutoff jean shorts.

16. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Currently on 4/8/78. Really good show with some explosive playing. The Mississippi Half-Step opener has a lot of energy with some of the best drumming from the late 70's. Other highlights includes Me And My Uncle > Big River, Deal (another showcase of the very high energy this show has to offer), El Paso and the Lazy Lightning > Supplication sequence of the songs I've listened to so far. It’s not quite up there with the best shows of the year, but it’s still an excellent show worthy of a listen.

17. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

My favorite Scarlet>Fire. The back half of .5 Step is up there with any, too.

18. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

Sweet. Thanks for the heads up! Ordered!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. trd

trd Forum Resident

[​IMG]

uzn007, US Blues, DrLunchbox and 2 others like this.
  20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Of course, since they don’t have any “albums”, this won’t be an album cover. OTOH, as long as they keep putting the professional recordings of almost all their shows on the Archive, who needs an album?

US Blues and trd like this.
  21. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Who are they?

22. ianuaditis

I hit like but I have no idea who these people are.

US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  23. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Hat and glasses on the right gives it away.

bzfgt likes this.
  24. ianuaditis

Meanwhile, after three solid years of very systematic listening, for the past three months or so I haven't managed to keep that up.

But I do still listen to all kinds of random stuff: Today it's Bobby McGee from 7-19-74, which is still Garcia's best 'outside' soloing I've ever heard him do. I'm going to start spamming that guitar teacher guy with links to that show on every single video he posts until he comments on it, maybe.

Next it was 'Here Comes Dark Star' into Bobby McGee from 4-2-73, which should require no introduction...

25. trd

trd Forum Resident

That’s JRAD, Halloween 2015

US Blues, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.