The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

You want the Charlie Miller SBD.

5/22/77 is in my opinion, the best show of May 77 and the second best of 1977 period (I think Englishtown, 9/3/77 is the best, i.e. Dick's Picks 15). Its a quirk of timing with the archival releases that the full show wasn't released, it certainly should have been.

laf848, SJR, KeninDC and 2 others like this.
  2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

5/23/20, the day that The Grateful Thread turned into a debate about streaming vs. CDs with a sidebar on “economics”.

:hurlleft:

Yuck. I avoid those threads like the plague. Can we get back to the wonderful music of the Grateful Dead?

:wiggle:

budwhite, jmadad, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  3. SBegonias17

Saving involves some legs or some trees, and some software that allows you to download certain types of files. Perhaps a torrential amount of shows can be downloaded.

US Blues, trd and Erik B. like this.
  4. SBegonias17

Yes, just listen to the music play!

US Blues and Erik B. like this.
  5. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

Literally everything you find, around that time, will be as good or better.

ratstack likes this.
  6. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

I agree - I have most all of the official releases from then. Still waiting for the rest to be officially released... like May 26 Baltimore and the other Palladium concerts ... I can't believe I was living in B-more at that time in college and didn't see them then - I have no idea where my head was at back then!

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    US Blues, bzfgt and Erik B. like this.
  7. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

And a rare bad move by Dick back then - totally misread the market :(

SJR, Erik B. and SBegonias17 like this.
  8. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

For sure. I guess for me it’s the instant access and zero storage space needed for things I own CDs of or whatever, plus the encyclopedic range of music at your fingertips for whatever reason. If I truly dig it, I buy the cd or the vinyl or both. Always. But on the beach it’s also handy to have 30 days worth of music in a playlist I can shuffle in perpetuity and the only limit is battery life.

I’m fortunate in that, for me, the monthly fee is a pittance, and I don’t mind the “nothing physical to show for it” aspect, especially considering the endless hours of good times soundtracks = an experience and literal memories that will last that I’m “renting” more akin to hitting a show or hiring a DJ rather than renting a car or whatever.

farewelltransmission likes this.
  9. SBegonias17

Dick always wanted to release full shows, it wasn't until after Dick's 4 that he got clearance to release full shows from the powers that be (the first being 12/26/79, i.e. Dick's 5)

And even then he had to fight for some shows to be released, while its commonly considered a classic of the series now, there was a lot of resistance to Harpur College (5/2/70, Dick's 8) being released.

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

1971-08-06.

Yes the classic August '71 gig.
    Jerry is on top, he dosn't hit every lyric but you can tell from his voice that he is on!
    And the band sounds fantastic on the opening number - Bertha!

I was thinking this is turning into the proto sounding '72 sound. But then Jerry was hitting his solo and I was reminded that this was the great early days(or later days) of Gibson guitars or the likes of them. What a difference a solo makes...

11. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Sorry - this thread is extremely malleable and organic - I’m not helping! :hide: I’ll stop.

anyway... how about this -

Is anyone gonna mask up and brave the early hours for a copy of 5/9/77 on RSD? That’s the RSD release this year, right?

I’m trying to decide if I want to invest the time and energy or just pay double or whatever to a flipper on eBay/Discogs. Sorry- that’s also a tangential Econ question isn’t it!? :laugh::laugh:

Erik B. likes this.
  12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Never been to RSD. It’s a scam.

Matthew Tate and SBegonias17 like this.
  13. SBegonias17

There is no RSD this year, most of it will be released eventually online. A lot of indie stores like Bullmoose, Zia, Plaid Room, Rough Trade, etc. that have an online presence should have it available at retail.

Also no reason to spend double, the last few GD RSD releases have usually been available close to retail for at least a few months after their release

14. And that’s how things go today. Hard for many artists to get paid for the work they create.

There’s an expectation now to get these things free or cheap. Many feel entitled to simply take

tobyd and Erik B. like this.
  15. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

At the time, he had to get everything cleared with Phil, Sam Cutler, Jeffrey Norman, and maybe others. If Phil didn’t like a performance, or Sam didn’t think something like a 3-CD full show from an obscure date would sell, or Jeffrey didn’t like the audio or couldn’t fix a tape, then Dick’s ambitions would get shot down.

16. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

Little did the others know ....

US Blues, Matthew Tate and peskypesky like this.
  17. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Hmm... yeah I don’t know man. Some of the awesome first time pressings and repressings I have disagree. And I’ve been building my collection since I was 12 in ‘92. I hate the hype around it and I hate the crowd and hipsters and flippers, but we get some great pressings from it. That Warfield set from a couple years ago is stunning.

18. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

All this talk of 5/22/77 reminded me of a question I have been wanting to ask. Did the Dead ever skip the Lady With A Fan part in other shows or was this the only time? And does anyone know why they didn't play it on 5/22?
    When I think back to '95 when I started listening to them something funny happened. I heard Cornell first and then I bought the DiP that had been released. DiP 3 was the first time I heard Terrapin. I just assumed that's how the song went. I had no idea about the Lady With A Fan part until I heard Dozin' At The Knick iirc. I eventually discovered the 5/22/77 version was the exception not the norm. :doh:

budwhite, US Blues, SJR and 1 other person like this.
  19. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

As far as I know they split it into 3 days - as of now - each month starting in August.
    Home | RECORD STORE DAY

Erik B. likes this.
  20. Mr Bassie

Mr Bassie Back for more

I had never seen the whole thing. Most excellent thank you

Oliver and Lunna like this.
  21. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

I love this music so much that even when I have the downloads I tend to violate my guiding principle - downsize - and hunt down the physical versions too. I know it makes no sense, especially since I live in such a small apartment here in Queens, NY, but at least I limit myself to doing so only for the Dead!

laf848, US Blues and ratstack like this.
  22. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Anyway - anyone else eyeing up the RSD or alternative-RSD Or whatever Buffalo 77 pressing? That’s probably my second favorite of that box.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  23. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

This has become an anthem for younger musicians dealing with this issue.

Billy_Sunday, budwhite and tobyd like this.
  24. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

Yes Oliver - this made my day!!!!

25. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

10/28/77 really hit the spot for me today. I had heard it before but was perusing the more recent Charlie Miller uploads and it clicked great with me. From my perspective kind of a sleeper - I’m not sure it’s mentioned much. Probably is though and I don’t recall or overlooked.

Any other favorites along the tight, late 77 - 78 sleepers that don’t get a lot of attention that you gravitate towards?