The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I love Garage Dead.......as garage rock is one of my favorite genres to listen to in general. It makes me love their debut album more than most people.

I especially love “Mindbender / Confusion’s Prince”.........I wish it made the 1st album and that they didn’t bail on it so soon (though it would’ve been gone by 1968 regardless). It was in an old cassette I had early on.

2. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 7/13/84[The Greek Theater]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Scarlet/Touch/Fire.

3. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Cue Brass Bonanza

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

It's been a while – 80's Studio/Dead . . .

"I told Althea I was feeling lost
    Lacking in some direction" . . .

[​IMG]
    1980/2013 Friday Music ‎– FRM 9508, Arista ‎– AL 9508

"I will get by
    I will survive" . . .

[​IMG]
    1987/2012 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab ‎– MFSL 1-369

"But never give your love my friend unto a foolish heart
    Unto a foolish heart" . . .

[​IMG]
    1989/2011 Friday Music ‎– FRM 8575

5. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I don't think quoting one's own post is good form, but I have to. It's from this morning. Now I'm home and just went to Relisten. Guess which show it defaulted to. Yeah. I kid not. Come for the CC>CF>R, stay for the PITB.

And I'm less than 10 stops away for the blue van that's bringing me WD50 and Saint Of Circumstance 6/17/91. This is one of the better Mondays I've had in recent memory. :agree:

6. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Bill Graham must've been so pumped to get on that In the Dark cover. Even if no one recognized him.

7. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I miss The WHALE!!!!

8. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

1973-09-15 Providence 1st set a poor sounding AUD; last Bird Song really good Jerry, but I can see why they thought it ran its course; Really good PiTB; 2nd set SBD: solid Big River; Truckin’ (w/horns) Phil says “Howard Cosell said that!” after “What a long strange trip it’s been”; horns sound cool in spots, but don’t entirely work; Eyes horns sound good here, but take up a lot of Jerry time at the end; Wild WRS, again horns are at times cool, the band plays some different stuff in jam out of it; horns are good on Stella Blue and Sugar Mag

9. bzfgt

1973-09-17 Truckin’>Eyes Truckin’ turns into amazing jam, great Eyes; WRS is pretty wild; Stella Blue again good, almost no horns audible this time until near the end; Jerry sings the first couple lines of Sugar Magnolia!

10. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

After a hard left turn into 80’s studio Dead, I’m now back in 1971, with a show I haven’t heard in ages; Three From The Vault — Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY, 19/02/71 (two nights earlier than the recently released show as part of Workingman’s Dead 50th).

It’s great hearing new-at-the-time songs go through a work-in-progress live. I believe this show has only the second-ever performances of Loser, Bertha, Playing In The Band, Greatest Story Ever Told, and Wharf Rat; and also premieres of Bird Song and Deal.

Excellent stuff :righton:

[​IMG]
    1971/2007 Grateful Dead Records — 8122-79983-1

laf848, Bossyman, mgb70 and 17 others like this.
  11. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

This one gotta be coming up.

12. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

News to no one but me: This July 78 box is insanely good.

I unexpectedly had to spend a lot of time in the car today, and the second set of 7/3 is all killer, no filler. Sure, Jerry's singing is hit or miss at times, but I enjoyed the heck out of this Scarlet>Fire, and Stella Blue is quite lovely. Raucous Not Fade Away with very much Donna (hooray!), and I've long since forgotten what bored me about the disco Dancin', which I'm pretty much always delighted to hear.

I'm saving the bulk of the second set of 7/5 for tomorrow -- Estimated Prophet just started, which suggests things are about to heat up for real. First set was awfully good, and actually of the 12 songs preceding Estimated Prophet only two (Looks Like Rain and Deal) appeared in either of the previous shows. Keepin' things fresh! Wild Supplication. Surprised and not unhappy to hear Beat It on Down the Line, which I don't associate with this period at all.

After being resistant to 78 for so long, I'm glad I started exploring this stuff late last year. I'm a fan of the energy and the occasionally aggressive thing they had going on. Haven't ventured into Egypt and post-Egypt yet, but I bet it won't be long before I do.

13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Behold, King Jamerson.

[​IMG]

14. notesofachord

Another groove master, Donald “Duck” Dunn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Being okay with this is the key to loving that box, IMO.

Taylor16, SteveD., ianuaditis and 4 others like this.
  16. yes, that one.

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. notesofachord

The dude could play a mean French horn, too.

[​IMG]

uzn007 likes this.
  18. notesofachord

Hey man, who you callin’ riff raff? :nyah:

[​IMG]

KCWhistle and US Blues like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I miss Fudgie the Whale!!!!

20. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

21. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

It's still a puzzle to me! Bird Song had been getting ever more relaxed, but Jerry still plays some hair-raising stuff in this last version of the '70s.

22. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It was thirty years ago today...

A friend of mine got shut out of this show by trading his mail-order ticket in the stands for a counterfeit floor ticket.

Little did I know that this would be "The Last Time" I saw Brent Mydland perform. I wasn't expecting to literally "Bid Him Goodbye" at the end of the night.

23. bzfgt

Yeah he does but it increasingly seems to lack focus. The last versions are all good, but compared to the spring (and Fall 1972) it felt like they were drifting with it a little, it does seem like their commitment to it was waning.

24. bzfgt

I bought a fake ticket in the parking lot, got kicked out, then somehow got back in...

25. I was up close for this one. It's the show where Phil gets down on his knees while doing the bass solo.

I remember this as a very good performance. It was the one that got me aboard, so to speak.