The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. trd

trd Forum Resident

Every time I watch highlights of an “old” college basketball game (ie the 70s through the 90s) I’m reminded of how far the college game has fallen. It’s becoming unwatchable.

I was a big fan of college ball my whole life. Never been in to the NBA but I went to a college games and watched even more.

2. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Bummed they're ending the Shakedown Streams but thankful for all the unreleased footage that came out of it. Wonder how they'll wrap it up. So close to Jerry's death date maybe 7/9/95? Hoping for Cal Expo 8/6/89 though, fits into the Daze Between date range and has an appropriate farewell in the encore. Happy Jerry Day superfans!

Billy_Sunday and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

add to the sad stories of the blazers sabonis coming over finally at about 30 years old and several major injuries.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  4. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

All the best players are in the NBA at 19, or something else?

trd and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. trd

trd Forum Resident

I guess? I feel like that doesn’t really adequately explain it but I don’t have any other answers. Never spent a ton of time reflecting on the why, the 60-50 scores in Final Four games is depressing enough.

6. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Supposedly they're not ending it.........just ending it weekly. Lemieux/Lambert said before the David Crosby pre-show last week that they're still going to happen, but just more sporadic.

7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That is a great question, one perhaps without an answer. Laird was a childhood friend of Jerry's and part of the early scene, likely he moved on to have his own life in other circles.

marmalade166 likes this.
  8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Life's too short. If I want to listen to early-80s Jerry, this album is way down on the list.

US Blues likes this.
  9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

The lyrics tho.

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]

5/13/77, Second Set:
    Samson and Delilah >
    Bertha
    Estimated Prophet >
    Drums >
    The Other One >
    Stella Blue >
    Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad > (actually from 6/8/77, but the liner notes say nothing about it)
    One More Saturday Night (same as above)
    U.S. Blues

Crispy Rob, SJR, Zafu and 5 others like this.
  11. Duffy Shrimpton

Duffy Shrimpton Forum Resident

[QUOTE

Grateful Dead: Bill Kreutzmann, Laird Grant, Bob Weir, Ron "Pigpen" McKernan, Danny Rifkin, Jerry Garcia, with Phil Lesh and Rosie McGee in back, and Rock Scully and Tangerine in front

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

knew a bird from Bognor Regis named Tangerine we done
    Bird hung roun the Crunchy Vicar public on high street I reckon the lad met at the 6th form HMC they done. Tangerine was a right bit o crumpet she was too I tells ya right proper, my son. Me mate Taffy shagged her sister he done,
    Bird named Talula, she ran with the Gentle Giant lot out of Portsmouth, one of them Shulman lads I reckon, me mates at the Vicar had NO use fer them twats, Dabney would throw down his cider and curse the lot every time “free hand ” came on, said HE’D give em s foooikin bloody hand he would, the C***s he’d say... it was the Frisco lot for the most part
    with the lads ...the Dead most times than not
    with the crew .. the lot would cue up American beauty, have a nibble on a lysergic or bloody 3,
    and the ales would flow...them was fun days in
    Cornwall, mate...the airplane, Riders, Hot foookin Tuna...
    them boys was plugged inta somethin we didn’t have in England...we thought it’d never end we reckoned

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Never gets old.

trd, ianuaditis, uzn007 and 1 other person like this.
  13. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Hope you're right...

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

If you have to listen to Weir sing a post-space ballad, does it really matter which one it is?

Jerfan13, Dahabenzapple and US Blues like this.
  15. bzfgt

That was indeed odd. I thought they were going to say he's a fan, and then what they did say about it I didn't even understand, unless it was just some Kevin Bacon thing

SJR, budwhite and notesofachord like this.
  16. bzfgt

I really hope he is. My fear is they've been getting lucky. Historically, they have shown no awareness whatsoever of the importance of pitch correction.

notesofachord, ARK and trd like this.
  17. bzfgt

@warewolf95 Prompt Post

18. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

19. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Wasn't there a big discussion on here recently about pitch correction and how Plangent wasn't doing it? I believe Jamie chimed in and sort of implied people didn't know what they were talking about it. It was a bit over my head.

bzfgt likes this.
  20. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

This was so strange and senseless. Not only were the Blazers practically assured of winning the division and the top seed in the playoffs, but they beat Philadelphia that night by 21 points, even though Walton played just 13 minutes. And then he tried to come back for the playoffs, but had to leave early in the second game against Seattle, and he never played for Portland again because he couldn't trust management to look out for his best interests. That worked out well for 8 year-old me and my Sonics, but really a shame for the Blazers.

21. bzfgt

Yeah maybe it could have replaced one of the 19 Brent songs on that album...

22. bzfgt

Jamie says he is aware of and on top of pitch correction. But Plangent is only used on the big box sets that come out once or twice a year.

23. bzfgt

That makes sense to talk about him then. However, either I missed that point, or they didn't make it...it seems like they mentioned his use of "dire wolves" and then they pivoted to something else tangentially related...

trd likes this.
  24. trd

trd Forum Resident

There’s also a location known as Weir Woods. I do not recommend leaving your woman alone there.