The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I saw every Philly show 1985-1995. 34 Spectrum and 2 JFK. It felt like home base even though I saw more in the NJ/NJ area. 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, and 1993 were my favorite Spectrum runs. 1988 was very good. 1987 I had a good time, 1994 had a great 1st night but non memorable afterwards. 1995 had a good middle night and the 1st “Unbroken Chain” but the rest wasn’t very good. The 1992 shows stunk.....especially St Patrick’s night.

tobyd, Erik B., ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  2. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Forgot about that summer Dylan & The Dead show at JFK in ‘87 also so 7 shows in Philly that year.

Erik B. and Crispy Rob like this.
  3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

You know as well as I, he had to die.

Actually, they stopped doing it because Jerry didn't like singing it. (Stop me if you know this, oh wait, too late.) So maybe you are right about keeping the music and losing the lyrics, or changing them--"He had to fly" or "He got high." (Calling Dr. @footlooseman--code 'head.)

budwhite, trd, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  4. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Now I'm imagining the Cryptical reprise with Jerry growling "Well, you know that he got high-igh-igh!!" before the big climax.

5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

"He had an extra slice of pie--ie--ie-ie!"

6. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

“A taste of your elegant pie.” I can never hear the right lyric.

US Blues, Erik B., bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  7. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

And shaking his head like he's Beatle Jerry.

DrLunchbox, bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  8. wavethatflag

And the music right after that line sounds like getting high! It's like, circular. @Archtop could explain what they are playing there.

bzfgt and Archtop like this.
  9. wavethatflag

Exactly, Jerry wasn't going to sacrifice his gravitas to an inane lyric borne of overuse by every band ever.

Look man, and history will bear this out, those early songs were written for young women. Period. That is no different than a group like The New Kids On The Block or The Backstreet Boys. Except the Beatles were writing their own material and could grow into something else, and I'm sort of sure the first two groups I mentioned weren't writing their hits.

But it's not like Jerry and Pigpen could ever play those roles anyway, so they had to go after the weirdos with their music, and kept Weir as pretty boy insurance. I'm being cynical, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. :D

US Blues, ianuaditis and frightwigwam like this.
  10. uzn007

"Pastrami on rye-eye-eye!!"

KCWhistle, US Blues, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  11. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

“Imagine me sipping champagne from your b**b...”

12. wavethatflag

"The tissue was three-ply-ah-IIIII!"

S--t, we'll have a Phish song written in the next couple posts.

ARK, mBen989, Blue Note and 4 others like this.
  13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Perhaps, if I were so inclined. :whistle:

US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  14. wavethatflag

I'm supposed to "like" this post? Spill the beans, professor. :D

US Blues, uzn007 and bzfgt like this.
  15. Archtop

No, just tell me what you're talking about. :nyah:

US Blues and wavethatflag like this.
  16. wavethatflag

I like you.

We were talking about Cryptical and how Jerry didn’t want to sing “he had to die” so they stopped doing it. And then I started talking about the figure Jerry plays after he sings that line, and then I said, “Archtop would know what he’s playing there,” but I don’t know that anything you could say would make sense to me because I’m not a musician.

17. Archtop

Well, that makes one person. And my dog likes me too. My wife is justifiably hit and miss on this issue. :nyah:

Anyway, I'll try to look into it and offer a cogent response. For starters, a great deal of music is "circular" because some very common patterns follow the cycle of fifths (or fourths, if'n you think about it the other way 'round).

18. wavethatflag

Oh, maaaaaan, I'm listening to the Viola Lee Blues live bonus track from the first Rhino reissue of The Grateful Dead, WOOOOOOOOOOW. Wow. That's my analysis.

laf848, ianuaditis, KCWhistle and 8 others like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Hey, so I finally bit on trying to download (and paying for FLAC versions of) the Angel’s Share Workingman’s Dead outtakes. And the. I downloaded them and got a ZIP folder of FLACs. And when I try clicking on that and I archiving it, instead of a regular folder of FLAC files I get another ZIP-type file of FLAC.zip.cpgz files, whatever that means. Which I can’t play or see as individual tracks or move into iTunes. Anyone know how to convert these into actual files I can play, ideally by converting from FLAC to AIFF, which I know how to do - just can’t find the FLAC files for songs - I am stuck at the level of zipped folders...

In other news, I listened to DiP 27 12/16/92 today. One of the best shows of 1992 (a weak year overall), but featuring the best p0st-Brent Shakedown, and a very unique version. Bobby and Jerry both really driving the jam, as well as some surprisingly good Vince contributions.

20. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

know someone also who attended Nassau 73 +400 some shows and their favorite shows were MSG 1981. I just like when the amp gets knocked over

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The acoustic sets are a gas, many of them circulate and are burned to Holy Silver Discs in my collection. The electric sets are more hit-or-miss.

22. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

You need something to unzip those files, and extract them to wherever you save your music. WinZIP is pretty reliable.

The only annoyance there is after your “30 day free trial” you’ll get a message saying the trial has ended and they want you buy it each time you use it. But you can just click through without ever paying for it. But it works fine.

If you downloaded FLAC files, they’ll be FLAC once you’ve unzipped/extracted them.

Not sure if this helps or not?

Crispy Rob, budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  23. uzn007

7-zip is a good file-extractor for Windows.

7-Zip

24. uzn007

I would like to direct y'all's attention to another thread, over here, where a burning question has been asked but not answered:

Who played piano on Wharf Rat?

KCWhistle likes this.
  25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I'd get XLD which will convert them for you and you don't have to do the trial period thing, then if you can't figure out how to use it ask and I'll tell you