The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Hot damn, we’re talking now. So confrontational, you are.

2. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Probably meant 11/26/72.

uzn007 and Freebird like this.
  3. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

I was today years old when I discovered I’ve been singing the wrong words to Dire Wolf since I first heard it in 87.
    I’ve been hearing, and singing, “In the backwash of Fennario, the black and bloody mine.”
    :shrug:

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. Freebird

I don’t think so.

5. Freebird

Playing in the Band > Tiger Jam > Playing reprise

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Love those JGB versions, and was familiar with them back when they broke out I Want to Tell You at Shoreline. I was also at that run.

Billy_Sunday, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was at both of those, as well as 9/15 and 9/16. They were all solid, but 9/16 is the only one of those four that strikes me as particularly exciting as a potential official release. It would be cool for them to put out the Rainforest benefit show as well, because it was so unique, but imagine getting all the necessary rights could be quite a headache.

Crosseyed, rockinlazys and Freebird like this.
  8. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Bear really believed that his method of channel separation was an ideal presentation. For best results, however, he suggested pushing your speakers together to sort of create a mono sound but from a wide stereo mix.

sami, beatboy1975, Gary C and 2 others like this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I’m just glad we established 85 us the only year they did coke. I’ll be steering clear of that BS from this point forward. Safety first.

10. lc317

lc317 Forum Resident

While nothing will touch the magic of 68, 73-74, and 1977, 1985 was the year of my first show, and outside of that just a really fun and great year for the Grateful Dead concert-going experience, absolutely love it.

Guess you had to have been there.

11. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

What ab
    what about 1969, 1970 & 1972?!?!?

1978 and then 1971 to a slightly lesser extent

12. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

You tell ‘em @Freebird

13. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Today I listened to 6/8/91 (Buckeye Lake Music Center). Really good show. Highlights includes Sugaree, Minglewood Blues, Rubin And Cherise, Let It Grow, He's Gone, Wharf Rat and Knockin' On Heaven's Door. A rather well-played show with some quality jamming. Jerry sounds good and plays great, especially on the aforementioned Sugaree and Wharf Rat. Vince shines on songs like Picasso Moon and Crazy Fingers. Bob's excellent as well, as to be expected his vocals are great. Examples of this being Let It Grow and When I Paint My Masterpiece. Also should mention a really terrific Samon & Delilah, as another highlight. You really can't go wrong with that one. To summarize this is a hot show that should be up any '91-fan's alley.

Jerfan13, notesofachord, SJR and 8 others like this.
  14. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

Are you....ready?!

8/13/75, AKA One From The Vault:

The opening Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklin's Tower is incredible. It may be the best 15 minutes in Dead history. Maybe. It's that good. Newbies, it's very safe to venture here. Dive right in.

The Eyes Of The World is incredible too. Listen to Phil go, go, go with that stretched out bass solo. Yeah, man!

Crazy Fingers....the song is so deep. Look up the meaning of it. Incredible. Garcia/Hunter at its most mystifying and surprising. Is it reggae? Is it a ballad? Is it meaningless? Does it mean everything? Yes, no and all of the above!

The Music Never Stops is probably the best example of how Donna, when she wanted to, could make the Dead a band they couldn't otherwise be without her, before or after. She's so on, here, bigtime. Give credit where credit is due. Donna could slay (when she wanted to).

Jerry just torches this Big River, top to bottom. A song, that without Garcia, isn't special. With him and the boys hitting on all cylinders, it stomps hard! He tears this one up.

I live this show!

'75 is an incredible year. Only 4 shows and they're all great, this one included.

On to '76!

15. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

48 years ago today

Billy_Sunday, SJR, adamos and 3 others like this.
  16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I saw the entire MSG 1988 run, and most of it wasn’t memorable. Only 9/16 and 9/20 struck me at the time, and I haven’t listened to them in ages. The rainforest show was pretty bad in my opinion. Jerry was lackluster......and some of the special guests and songs didn’t work. The Grateful Dead playing “Everytime You Go Away”......,yuckkkkk.

Billy_Sunday, tobyd and fishcane like this.
  17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]
    it was a glorious day

Billy_Sunday, budwhite, trd and 12 others like this.
  18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

It was a tough follow up for me as I ended summer tour on a high note with that spac-roch-Maine run so had pretty solid expectations. These were the next shows I saw

19. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

Sounds intriguing. Tell me more.

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Thank you for responding for me.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  21. Freebird

Man, November 26, 1972 is straight fire.

uzn007, rainbow dome, dgwint and 2 others like this.
  22. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 11/23/73[El Paso Texas] on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Eyes Of The World.

US Blues and ARK like this.
  23. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

That is awesome. Did they give out a merit badge? I would love to go back in time and rent out a suite at the Penn Hotel and party down for nine Dead shows in a row across the street. What a marathon! Seriously I've read a lot of incredible stories in this SHF about the shows they've attended but you've gotta be among the top tour-heads in this joint.

I have a soft spot for MSG 88 because I think I saw my first show in there. I didn't wake up to the band until 89, caught 50+ after that but maybe I look at that MSG 88 and think what if? I honestly find 88 fascinating at this point, it's definitely a grinding it out year but new tunes are emerging and they're evolving. Like baseball it's just another season but I love baseball so I'll cherish 88 up there with all the rest.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    warewolf95 likes this.
  24. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

IWT

US Blues, dgwint and warewolf95 like this.
  25. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

OTGK

warewolf95 likes this.