The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Do you remember any of it?:tiphat:

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Tonight I ripped 4/8/72 "Dark Star" to my computer and reversed it using Goldwave. The result was a few minutes of a repetitive but pretty 4/4 rock groove that suddenly devolves into a space nightmare. That was the first five or six minutes. I'll listen to the rest later.

3. I totally remember the day. I was 15. But not specific music or songs. Saw lots of shows GG Park and several at the Polo Fields there.

4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

tonight 4/26/72, hundred year hall

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Here’s a flashback. I can still clearly hear this guys voice in my head.

6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That may have been the Orpheum ca. the turn of the century, but according to this article, it was renovated in 1915 to change the layout: A Peek at the Past: Orpheum Theatre

The Orpheum we all know and love is a more typical "theater" layout with most of the balcony seats facing directly forward, and only a small number of "box seats" on the sides.

That's my recollection, too. The sign out in front just said "Music Hall," as I recall. I was too young to see the Dead at the Music Hall, but I saw Doug Henning there once.

Here's a picture of the interior of the Wang Center (I guess it's called the "Wang Theatre at the Boch Center" now, but **** Ernie Boch, Jr.). I think this is the same as it was in the 70s, but it was probably a lot more dingy then.

[​IMG]

budwhite, ARK, Dahabenzapple and 6 others like this.
  7. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

I know, I own it, so killer. I'm talking about laying down that sweet Dark Star on my turntable! A vinyl of Steppin' Out would be sweet but probably like 6 discs and a million dollars!

wavethatflag and SJR like this.
  8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well, that's what I was trying to say: the venue in that 1900 photo is how the old Boston Music Hall looked before being renovated in ~1915 as the Orpheum (a vaudeville theatre), then a movie theater and then a music venue in the early '70s. I saw Journey there in 1979 from the front row of the balcony (don't tell anyone; ooops). Anyway, my overall point was that the photo was of the original BMH which is now the Orpheum, not the MH where the GoGD played, which is now the Wang Theater. Everyone following along at home? :nyah:

What's up with Ernie Boch, Jr.? Hasn't he donated/purchased several thousand musical instruments to/for high school programs across the state? Maybe I'm missing something. PM me if you prefer.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  9. Gabba Gabba

Gabba Gabba Forum Resident

I still have a 1-900- USA Dead refrigerator magnet!!!

ARK, KCWhistle, AintGotHalfOf and 5 others like this.
  10. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I saw Big Brother there in 1968 when I was 18 and the thing I remember most clearly was the conversation I had sitting down with the flowers in the bushes on the way out of the park.

11. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

Close enough to April ‘78 but the UVM show from 5/6/78 is SPECTACULAR... not sure who it was that recommended the Terrapin > PITB but it’s easily 30 min of my favorite top-shelf Dead to my ears. Give it a listen!!

12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

:tiphat:

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Probably Craig Harris, who played on the Dark Star album, but I don’t know for sure. It’s possible it was George Lewis. Other than Fred Hopkins I didn’t really know who the guys in Murray’s band were, but they were good. I also saw them at the Fillmore, but the old Yoshi’s in Claremont was a much better setting for that band.

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Hard to top Junior Wells and Buddy Guy doing it on Hoodoo Man Blues, but Pig and the boys put their own stamp on it well.

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That sequence is what got @US Blues on the bus IIRC

16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Sweet! Cheers, I’ll get onto that :righton:

17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ah right, gotcha! Imagine Steppin’ Out on vinyl? As you say it’d cost a fortune and probably be even more than 6 discs!

They should just release a different Dark Star every year for RSD. I’m sure they did release one one year? I can’t remember which, offhand.

18. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

I think this is a photo from 4/8/71 someone posted here a while back...
    [​IMG]

ARK, hoggydoggy, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  19. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

PHIL: I promise to play only anti-notes from now on. I've reached the peak of my career and now I'm going to reverse it!
    JERRY: Right, inverse notes! I'm going to play everything I used to play, only starting in the other direction. Going back from now.
    (Conversation with Gans, 1983)

budwhite, ARK, pbuzby and 8 others like this.
  20. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Thanks for all the '80s AUD suggestions, everyone. I'm going to go and collect them into some notes.

Yesterday evening I listened to 3/9/81 MSG on my studio monitors--the Barry Glassberg recording. Holy cow, I've heard multitracked official live albums that sounded worse! A really great show, too.

21. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

It’s truly fantastic, I can’t believe how good it sounds for an audience recording from the 80s. That Glassberg fella really knew what they were doing! It’s way too soon for me to truly appreciate the early 80s performances yet, to know what they’re about - it’s clearly different from the early 70s but I can’t explain how yet. But it was a rockin performance. I enjoyed hearing some of the audience chatter between songs too, felt very natural, close to being at the show.

22. US Blues

That is correct, I was an innocent Freshman in college when I first heard the Vermont '78 tape, right around the time Donna and the boys were in Egypt. Something clicked, and it will never get un-clicked.

budwhite, ARK, Crispy Rob and 9 others like this.
  23. US Blues

Yes, you'll note Ned Lagin on electric piano in the back corner of stage right. I wish he was better represented in the mix.

24. US Blues

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole.

25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Nice theatre. Saw King Crimson there on their last tour before the plague and also saw Bob with Wolf Bros.

ARK, Archtop and wavethatflag like this.