The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Dahabenzapple and MorningDew like this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

13 April 1969- The Coloversity of Unirado, Boulder, CO.

It was during this trip to Boulder that Jerry purchased his first pedal steel guitar. A great decision on his part, and we benefited.

The show is really fine, too.

3. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Had a fun listen to 11/29/66 The Matrix; the recent new version from SIRMick. Apparently only sets II and III are known to exist. At this point a lot of songs feel similar musically but I like the overall sound of the band, including Pigpen's organ. And there is nice casual banter between songs.

In the second set Me & My Uncle sounds good musically and it's interesting to hear Bob's vocals on it at this early stage. If he only knew how many more times he'd play this song! :) The Same Thing with Pigpen has a low down but smooth vibe with a nice little jam to finish. Stealin' is catchy as always; Jerry calls it an old jug band song. Big Boy Pete is an old rock n' roll song with Pigpen. One Kind Favor has a nice feel with some good soloing by Jerry and Early Morning Rain has nice harmonies. There's a good Cold Rain & Snow with its fun fast pace and Viola Lee Blues is awesome as always, even at this early stage.

Set III: Down So Long has more of the same catchy vibe and sound. Something On Your Mind is a nice Pigpen ballad complete with a couple short raps. Lindy is fun with some lyrical back and forth between Bob and Jerry and a harmonica solo. Good Morning Little Schoolgirl is a highlight and is pretty developed already, although the overall vibe of this performance is a bit gentler. I Just Want To Make Love To You rocks out with their signature swirling sound and then Merry-Go-Round Broke Down is a brief Looney Tunes-esque farewell.

Good show!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  4. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Mine showed up yesterday! A very pleasant surprise!

Erik B., US Blues and Glenn coates like this.
  5. Bigthunder

Bigthunder Forum Resident

Same here!

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Glancing at the comments about the Wall of Sound Road Trips my first thought was that people were purchasing that miniature Wall of Sound that a newspaper mentioned some guy assembled recently.

7. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Afternoon listening: 11/10/73 (Winterland '73 box)

[​IMG]

8. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

My copy arrived yesterday - glad to have this one, as it is one of the few that I missed the first time around.

9. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

I just ordered mine, along with the 12/28/79 Road Trips.

Funnily enough, some joker on eBay is trying to sell the WoS Road Trips he just received (and opened) for more than it costs from Real Gone. It takes all kinds, I guess...

By the way, their reissue of DP#23 is already sold out. Damn.

SJR, Burningfool, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  10. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

The 11/10/73 PITB>UJB>Morning Dew>UJB>PITB is already altering my consciousness, and all I'm doing is sitting here...

11. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Today I listened to 10/12/68 (Avalon Ballroom). Terrific show. Highlights includes Dark Star, The Eleven, Death Don't Have No Mercy, Other One, New Potato Caboose and Morning Dew. The jamming in DS and TOO is excellent. The Eleven is always great, and this version is no exception. Some of Jerry's most soul full vocals are in full display on Death Don't. It's honestly up there among my fave renditions. The same with the Morning Dew. There isn't much more to say about this show that hasn't already been made clear in this post. It's simply a fantastic show.

12. US Blues

Very low pH.

13. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Got my first Dick’s Pick yesterday (“they grow up so fast”) - Vol 29! So this morning I’m spinning it for the first time, May 19, 77 in Atlanta, GA. I’m not really all that familiar with the fabled 77 shows, so I’m looking forward to hearing what the deal is!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  14. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Congrats; enjoy! P.S. To avoid any misunderstanding you might want to add an apostrophe s :)

15. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

Hendrix was at Winterland that weekend and I've heard he was supposed to jam with the band but was too late getting there and it didn't happen.

16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

And technically their best singer in the history of the band

uzn007 likes this.
  17. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I'm a proud papa. I just watched my son's senior thesis in which he designed a portable oscilloscope using a little blue pill and interleaving DACs.

18. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

Currently listening to the 7-10-87 Philly 24-bit Ulta-Matrix. What an absolute scorcher! Tight and right.
    Aiko, Jack Straw, Sugaree, Minglewood to start.
    Can’t wait to hear the Dylan set. Opening notes of Althea kicking in now.
    I don’t think I’ve ever heard this show. I was at Foxboro the week before.

laf848, Mad Dog, adamos and 10 others like this.
  19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It's worth comparing that version of the palindrome to the one played at the Pauley Pavilion just eight days later. My take is that the version from 11/10 has the better improv, but the transitions on 11/17 are magnificent and truly worthy of -->s or >s or whatever segue icon is your preferred indicator.

20. US Blues

One of the finest ">" is on 1 December 1973- Boston Music Hall, from Playing In The Band > Uncle John's Band. Jerry teases the UJB theme for 2 or 3 minutes before dropping into the tune, unutterably amazing!

21. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

That Dave's Pick is on my list if one ever comes along at a non-ridiculous price. That show immediately appealed to me.

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was at Foxboro, too (as well as Giants), which was my first show, but not this one. I'm pretty sure I've heard the Dylan set from it, but not the rest.

diamondstylus likes this.
  23. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Winterland - 6/24/70 with my lovely wife in the Jeep on the way south past Stumpy Point, NC where the terrain changes and it looks like the end of the world and dinosaurs live there. There's a Dark>Sugar>Dark>st.>China>Know thing.

24. Frank's Tower

Frank's Tower Well-Known Member

The Shakedown Street on this is a monster!

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  25. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

6/24/70 is the great Capitol Theater show with the Dark Star->Attics->Dark Star
    If a better recording circulated, this would be in the running for their best show ever.

Set 2:
    Not Fade Away
    Easy Wind
    Dark Star
    Attics Of My Life
    Dark Star
    Sugar Magnolia
    Dark Star
    St. Stephen
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider