The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. truth: around 25 years ago, I bought a small floor fan in a thrift store in Sacramento that had a strip of adhesive tape on it with this name printed across the bottom: "PARRISH". And, I had to wonder- could this implement be labeled this way because at one time it served as a cooling fan for a stage amp, for, the, uh...

I realize that alternate theories are possible, to explain that mystery. And I know that lead quippie Steve Parish only spells his last name with one "r." But that doesn't mean that anyone else would necessarily know how to spell his name, even his fellow roadies.

Needless to say, I still have the fan, packed away in storage. Waiting for The Rest Of The Story, if there is one.

tobyd, ianuaditis, BMac19 and 4 others like this.
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Nah. You’re thinking about Stan by Eminem.

ARK, trd, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  3. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

9/19/70 is pretty cool.

4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

[​IMG]

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

You should turn that thing on and see if you really have to move.

In all seriousness, intriguing story.

6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

My rather Capt. Obvious post deserved nothing less than a snide response. :D

uzn007, ianuaditis, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Nooe… that’s entirely fair. There most definitely is a difference. :cheers:

ianuaditis and SlimLee like this.
  8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That was Estimated Prophet.

Oh, you meant a box fan... :p

uzn007 and Archtop like this.
  9. There's no question that specific events sometimes inspired rh's song lyrics. But it's a different matter to infer that the meaning of the song is to be reduced to being "about" that event. As the liner note on the back cover of Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die LP points out, a good song lyric makes itself available to many other interpretations. Not so much on account of imprecise language as due to the lapidary levels of meaning to be drawn from the symbolism. Both Dylan and Hunter often use very clearly outlined imagery, but multiple different pictures- and scenarios- can be drawn from the connotations. The latent potential of the words can activate quite unexpectedly many years after the writing of them, to make connections with events and even personal experiences, on an ongoing basis...whaat?

< whaat?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    ARK, MorningDew, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  10. Right.
    Cher's heart has always been in the right place.

True confession:
    Fact: I’ve occasionally wondered what Cher would sound like singing some of Donna Jean’s parts on Dead songs ........back in the 70’s....., .”Me and My Uncle > Bang, Bang (He Shot Me Down) ...........

ARK, Matthew Tate and MorningDew like this.
  11. WoW , awesome.

Didn’t consciously know, but the collective unconscious is always on duty and gave that to me. lol.

US Blues, Panama Hotel and Crispy Rob like this.
  12. I always already have to move, anyway.

It is a "vintage mid-century" fan. A Toastmaster.

As found, the brushes are a little cooked- the prop often requires a bit of priming, wanting a few spins to engage properly. And then there's an intermittent squeal...

All of those indications arguably amount to more clues that my extravagant conjecture may be correct.

One day, I may navigate the labyrinth of modern photo hosting- figure out the entire 3-step process of how to register, and then load some photos on to it. As yet, something else always seems to come up to distract me. I admit, I've basically been pouting ever since Photobucket locked me out of my own photo archive. Really. The sheer perfidy of it. It's soured me on the entire activity.

US Blues and Crispy Rob like this.
  13. Archtop

No, I meant a fanatic.

US Blues likes this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

No, actually, it's an intriguing take on the song that I'd never quite put together. Maybe stupid that I missed the obvious wordplay, but it's an interesting new angle on the song for me to consider. Also, The Fan by Little Feat is a freaking fantastic song.

trd, Dahabenzapple and Archtop like this.
  15. Archtop

That's interesting. I mean, I've never read anything about it being about anyone in particular, but it seems pretty obvious to me that it's about a rabid female fan who they (or Jerry or someone) didn't want to know. I knew about the office fan association back in the day (I had a box fan in my frat room in '83-'85 that I labeled "Bertha"), and I'd always assumed that the fanatic thing came first and then the office fan thing happened around the same time, and someone referred to the office fan as Bertha, they all got a laugh and then Hunter wrote the tune. Maybe that's too tidy...

16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

"just like jesse james" and "save up all your tears" are great tunes

Paperback Writer likes this.
  17. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I'm glad to see all of the deep exploration into Cher and of course the standard Elvis - Donna - Dead connection.
    Props to the mention of Silkwood above - I haven't seen that in 30 years but it was a fantastic movie and an important story which continues to remain relevant. Not the nuclear regulatory part but the general abuse of power in search of more money whenever possible.

As for my interpretation of Touch of Grey, the idea that Hunter didn't write many songs with a singular clear message is an important one. However, once any art is created, it no longer "belongs" to the creator, it belongs to the audience. This year, or more specifically last night, Touch of Grey was about me in the audience, getting to do something I have sorely missed.

Finally, Jerry's cover of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes is absolutely worth hearing, and the video has Ashley Judd in it, which never hurts.

This was one of the last "new" things Jerry did, I think the video came out soon after he died.

One of the commenters on youtube says that they were considering it for their wedding song. I don't think they listened to the lyrics that closely.

So, I chaffed them
    As I gaily laughed
    To think they would doubt our love
    Yet today, my love has gone away
    I am without my love (without my love)
    Now, laughing friends deride
    Tears, I cannot hide
    Oh-oh-oh-oh
    So, I smile and say
    "When a lovely flame dies
    Smoke gets in your eyes"

18. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

He often does...

Archtop likes this.
  19. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Dark Star>Half Breed

ARK, KCWhistle, KeninDC and 5 others like this.
  20. Archtop

Gloves are off, Mr. Exalted Date-Spacer.

bzfgt likes this.
  21. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

ARK, Gollum, KCWhistle and 6 others like this.
  22. SwamiGD80s

SwamiGD80s Antagonist

Shows most enjoyed last week:
    4/22/79 Spartan, 4/8/85 Spectrum. Both of these have pristine SBD sources that I don't remember being so clear, and excellent performances.

Shows upcoming to review this week:
    7/19/90 Deer Creek, 10/3/81 Rainbow Theatre & 6/22/86 Greek Theatre.

trd, LandHorses and ianuaditis like this.
  23. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Are we talking about rap again then? I'd forgotten about these. This one's OK but 'Party and ********' is better.

There was a set of them that was someone actually rapping over GD beats, but I can't find the same ones now

ARK and trd like this.
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Speaking of wedding music, I went to my cousin's wedding ~4 years or so ago, and one of his friends was in charge of the music, after about 1030 PM it was nothing but techno. Too bad I didn't have this kind of thing:

ARK, notesofachord and trd like this.
  25. image is not working for me. I don't know why that happens sometimes, but it does.