The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

In this case, I’ll allow it.

US Blues and Archtop like this.
  2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well that's my point. The Hofheinz CD from 11/18/72 is fantastic. No one lost an appendage because it wasn't a full show. Full shows are great, but don't deprive us of quality stuff because you may or may not find a reel ten years from now.

3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

4. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

this just showed up on in my mailbox courtesy of my local! I couldn't quite swing the funds for the big box, but I'll be very happy immersing myself in this over the next little while. will report back eventually with my thoughts
    [​IMG]

5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]

KCWhistle, uzn007, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

WTF?! Where did you get that from?

7. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Greville Records in Prahran, they’ve been great during the lockdowns - drive around metro Melbourne delivering orders to your front door (often same day) for no extra cost!

8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Nice one! I have the big box on order but won’t be seeing it for a while!

Edit—the Fox, 10/12/71 show is now on Apple Music. Sweet.

9. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I got so many great shows to listen to, and rent to pay, that I couldn’t quite swing it for the big box, but I’ll very happily be pumping this one out for a while!

SJR likes this.
  10. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Seriously though, the gold leaf detail on the 12/10/71 3CD packaging is beautiful. I’d imagine even more so on the big 5LP version.

11. SwamiGD80s

SwamiGD80s Antagonist

Sooner or later this forum will have to address the elephant in the room - 10/8/1981 Copenhagen, Denmark. And by elephant, I mean the most docile yet boisterous animal embodying the commonly-acknowledged space. Absolutely blissful Loser, among many other delights.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    footlooseman, uzn007, Erik B. and 4 others like this.
  12. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

It's on Spotify too, I'm through the first set. Phil sounds surprisingly muddy in the mix and lacking in the definition I'm used to hearing from him. Everyone else sounds awesome, so I don't think it's a streaming-compression thing -- hopefully it will get better.

13. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

Agreed. Bass sounds buried and undefined compared to other releases. Everything else is cooking though.

uzn007, johnnypaddock and Crazy Otto like this.
  14. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Tidal has it too and Qobuz. Streaming now.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    SJR likes this.
  15. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

'71 show is also on on HdTracks at 24/192. I'll be listening later today!:righton:

SJR likes this.
  17. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

Checking out 12/10/71 on Spotify with a second cup of coffee before heading to work. Sounds good to me, but there’s not much Fall 71 that doesn’t.

18. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

I spent some serious $$$ at Greville Records getting my GD collection started back in the day.

Could chat to the guys there for hours about things, although I learned pretty early on from them that dealing with distribution from the GD offices was scratchy at best!

Paperback Writer, SlimLee and SJR like this.
  19. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

I wasn't feeling well so ended up being up most the night and listened to it entirely. Good stuff.

20. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Finally finished 8 September '73. I see what some of you meant - the second half of the second set is a notch down. I don't think I've ever heard such a restrained Truckin' jam. Even He's Gone is more laid back than usual going into Truckin'. The meat of the show really is the end of the first set but it's high grade. I guess if you take the first set of 8 September and put it with the second set of 7 September you have the ideal show.

21. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

I’ll listen to the Hi-res lossless version on Apple Music later today.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  22. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Listening now, sounds great!
    I have the box on order of course but this just fell off the interwebs.

No compression or limiting to be seen. Wonderful!

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I listened once through on my main system whilst doing other things, and thought it sounded rich and full. I must say I didn’t really notice a muddy Phil. I’ll go again tomorrow.

24. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Unfortunately during that timeframe the sound of Phil’s bass was not as good as it was before and not nearly as great as it would be later.
    It’s kind of overpowering in the mid-range and lacking in the low end.

25. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Hardly unique to the Dead, but in our current environment release dates are meaningless. Maybe it's time we just ditched promised dates and just go with "coming soon".

This box is out today, still not shipped. The new Yes album was due out today, bumped back two weeks. I pre-ordered the new Neil Young archival release, due out today and still not notice that it's even been shipped. I don't expect to get things on release day, but it'd be nice to at least have confirmation that they've been shipped come release day. And, before you ask, this is all CD so not tied to any vinyl production issues.