The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

:tsk:

Disc 20

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

15 January 1979- Springfield Civic Center

This entire performance is scintillating.

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If I recall right, Greil Marcus's book Mystery Train had a section about the many "Stagger Lee" related songs (the original book was from around 1975, but there have been updated versions that I assume mention the Dead song).

Zafu, Crispy Rob, Archtop and 5 others like this.
  5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Though I only enter this thread on a rare occasion I always appreciate seeing the title as I scroll which provides me with the gentle reminder "listen to The Dead"

6. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

I gave 6/28 and 6/29 '76 a critical listen last night. 6/28 is a great show with lots of interesting and energetic playing happening. The 29th is just OK and would be best served as filler/bonus for a full 6/28 Dave's Picks release.

So here's my updated DW's Keeper's list for June '76: 6/9, 6/12, 6/14, 6/19, 6/28. As always, IMHO-YMMV!

7. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

I wanted to put that on first, but I have to re-order the sequence on 10/30/73 set 2 to the proper order and I've been lazy so I just went with the 10/18/72 show.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

12/31/85 - if you count reprising "NFA" as a song.
    12/31/88
    12/31/89 - if you count "Sunshine Daydream" as a song.

SJR, Crispy Rob, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

You didn't do Grateful Dead tours :D:biglaugh:

I saw it 46 times.

10. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

Getting stuck in ‘71-‘72 is a nice problem to have. There seems to be wide agreement on how great ‘72 was, but I dig ‘71 a lot too. A couple of my favorite Dark Stars so far are from ‘71… the DiP 2 Halloween DS and that 2/18/71 DS/Wharf Rat sandwich from the American Beauty 50th release.

You’re right about there being too much to listen to. I went on a spending frenzy during the Covid lockdown and I’ve collected music faster than I can digest it. I’m a public school teacher, so if I can make it until the end of May, it might just be the summer of the Dead!

11. Mr_Flanders

I did notice that the ‘73 shows from the St. Louis box are just about 10 days later. What a remarkable run they were on through the hiatus in ‘74.

frightwigwam, SJR, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  12. Mr_Flanders

That’s fair! I think one of the reasons I’m still enjoying the ‘71 releases that a lot of people seem to feel ambivalent about it probably because I haven’t heard Me and My Uncle 500 different times over the decades. So maybe Don’t Ease Me In and I are still in the honeymoon phase!

13. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

"Okay, we'll give you the Scarlet > Fire but in exchange we're closing the first set with Don't Ease." A common tradeoff in the Brent-era as Deadbase confirms. Also LandHorses your stats are insane. I did a nice job avoiding it - 3 times out of 50 or so shows...

SJR, US Blues and LandHorses like this.
  14. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

The first show I saw was 9/20/82 and peering down from the seats thought exactly what you wrote.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and LandHorses like this.
  15. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

Yeah, that 7/4/86 Vid, while the playing is pretty good Jerry just looks like a gob of meaty flesh.

uzn007, US Blues and LandHorses like this.
  16. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

It's kind of alarming how quickly Jerry transformed in that period, actually. Chasing a dragon you'll never catch will do that to a man, I guess.

17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

There is a SBD of this show, which came as quite a surprise to me after decades of listening to what I assume is Steve Rolfe's audience tape. There's also another audience tape (by Kathy Sublette) that I don't believe I've heard.

18. captainplanet8422

captainplanet8422 Forum Resident

Had not heard of Roon until now! Thx for sharing. I will have to look into this. I’ve been so buried in vinyl, spinning a lot of cannonball adderley and funkadelic this past month. At risk of persecution, 70s dead was just a little stale for me last month, personally speaking. I really wish they’d collabed more with black artists, like, as if the praises sung for every Marsalis collab wasn’t enough.

Getting into Grayfolded - Transitive Axis as we speak, and wow ive already had to pinch myself as I’m being taken into the dark star dream state that we all so appreciate… and, wait… I’m still sober?? Gonna have to change that tune on this fine Saturday afternoon :agree::agree::agree:

Zafu, uzn007 and johnnypaddock like this.
  19. captainplanet8422

captainplanet8422 Forum Resident

Wise words, a lesson for us all. Jerry has shared so much wisdom with us, even that which he did not intend as such… Or did he?

Paperback Writer likes this.
  20. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

The '72 shows are my favorites from the box.

:cheers:

Zafu, Islands, Spazros and 2 others like this.
  21. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

Half way through 10/19/72 and I really dig this Birdsong

22. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

TOO>He's Gone> TOO from 10/19/72

[​IMG]

23. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

I read Phil’s book recently and found most of the post-hiatus years pretty depressing between Phil’s drinking, Jerry and Brent’s issues, and the burden of keeping the organization running. Even while filling stadiums, the financial strain was there until the end because they had hundreds of families on their payroll. Maintaining their ideals and “family” cost them a great deal. Most bands would’ve just laid those people off, but that wasn’t them. At least that’s the impression Phil gives about why they didn’t take another hiatus after Brent’s death, which seemed like the obvious thing to do. Jerry likely wouldn’t have stopped anyway, according to Phil, because he needed the money for his addiction. Sad ending to the story.

24. Absolutely a galaxy powered sound phenomenon! What a freaking concert!

Right now, I am laid wasted by the precision, the sound quality, the performance, innovation and superior band performance in San Diego , 11-14-73; (bet Bill Walton was there. ). lol.

I think this was barely mentioned a couple months ago, but glad I finally dove in!
    I promise - if you give this a listen - it will enter your all time top concerts. It blows away many more highly touted concerts - by a mile.

Superb sound. Phil dropping cable wire bass notes, Billy mastering the skins, Jerry all over , inside and outside the music, Bobby being the super guitar rhythm Ace and Keith pushing , advancing and driving the songs. He’s.very audible, here. The singing, including Donna is top shelf.

Over 3 hours. Some of the best versions of each song is here - especially:Here Comes Sunshine, Cumberland Blues, Tennessee Jed, and that’s just the warm up 1st set.

The second set, in my opinion, is amongst the very best they’ve ever done - especially one w/o Dark * or PIB.
    Here’ what’s included in 2nd set:

“The Other One” : A Quadruple Decker masterpiece of over 67 minutes!

Starts here- Truckin’ > The Other One Jam > The Other One > Other One Jam > Big River > The Other One > Eyes of the World > The Other One > Wharf Rat,!!!

W - O - W !

Dick Latalava must have set this aside for full release before he passed. This is my choice for a full official release. But don’t wait till then - listen ASAP.

• [​IMG]

Beaches in San Diego

25. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Check out some acoustic versions from 1970 too. They have a nice feel. I still remember it as the opening song of the acoustic set when I saw them at the Capitol in Port chester in late 70.

budwhite, notesofachord, Zafu and 9 others like this.