The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Tonight's listen:
    1972/04/08 London, England (disc 3)
    1. "Dark Star" (Garcia, Hart, Kreutzmann, Lesh, McKernan, Weir, Hunter) > – 32:09
    2. "Sugar Magnolia" (Weir, Hunter) > – 7:17
    3. "Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)" (Grateful Dead) – 18:30
    Encore:
    1. "One More Saturday Night" (Weir) – 5:46

2. OK, football time out, quick hit, here.

I believe I’ve heard Weir refer to the song Dire Wolf (paraphrase) as a “Paranoid Fairy Tale”

Location; song says there are timbers and backwash, so woodsy near a body of water.

If we follow the Dire Wolf, we learn:

The Dire Wolf Competed for Prey With the Saber-Tooth Tiger
    [​IMG]

The La Brea Tar Pits, in downtown Los Angeles, have yielded the skeletons of thousands of dire wolves—intermingled with the fossils of thousands of saber-tooth tigers (genus Smilodon). Clearly, these two predators shared the same habitat, and hunted the same assortment of prey animals. They may even have stalked each other when extreme conditions left them no choice.

So would you believe prehistoric L. A. ?

I’ll surmise - it’s the place in our brain where paranoia resides.

Great song!

3. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Very cool photo, never seen it before. It's not a 1974 WoS show, the speaker stacks are off to the side of the stage, which juts out. Similar to Watkins Glen, but at Watkins Glen there were trees behind the stage. Compare to:
    [​IMG]

Not Iowa, Santa Barbara, Kezar, RFK, or Roosevelt either. My best guess is Nov at Feyline Field Tempe. The crew is wearing flannel and jackets, so maybe...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  4. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Switching gears, also prompted by recent mentions:

10/19/73 OKC Dark Star > MLB Jam > Morning Dew. A dreamy wander through beauty, weirdness, power and bliss.

5. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

I really love that Vancouver 66 show included on recent reissue of their debut album.

6. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Listening to the first half of DaP 40 this morning, 18 July 1990. The first set starts off slow and loose, the early highlight being the Brent-led "Easy to Love You." Things really start to pick up with a smokin' one-two punch of "Cassidy" and "Deal" to close the set. Second set, the band come out swingin' and don't let up the whole way. We got a glorious "China/Rider," a "Looks Like Rain" even I can appreciate, and then a meaty "Terrapin>Jam" into Drums with some whacky hilarious laughter sound effects most likely triggered by Mickey the prankster which continue through Space. "The Other One" rocks, and then a respectable "Morning Dew" finishes it off before "The Weight" for dessert. Love this set, and it really makes me appreciate Brent all the more (RIP).

The following night is probably even stronger than this, despite having a slightly more b-grade setlist. Goes to show it's not always about the songs on the back of the cover!

7. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Phil remarks to the indifferent crowd, "Our fame has preceded us." For the rest of the set, the band barely speaks to the audience at all until after Cream Puff War, when Weir announces, "We'll be back, and we're probably gonna play the last set tonight, and there's gonna be a lot of entertainment in between, so stick around, yippee."

8. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I think wacky vocal sounds were usually from Dan Healy at the soundboard.
    I was listening to the other show from this set earlier. Messing with Bobby's vocals on The Other One is one thing. I don't approve but guess the weirdness of the lyrics fits with the weird vocal effect. During Desolation Row? Not OK at all.

9. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Oh maybe, would Healy have had the ability to trigger those laughter samples? I do like the effects in TOO, Desolation Row is a vibe-killer though.

10. MorningDew

MorningDew Forum Resident

This is currently my favorite Dark Star. Steppin' Out mix. Shout outs to 11/11 and 12/6/73 as well as 4/24/72.

11. Jimbobwe

Jimbobwe Forum Resident

I typically listen to full shows that have been officially released. I find myself spending about 75% of my Dead listening in the 72-74 era, but bounce around when necessary to keep things somewhat fresh. Currently, listening to 1/22/78 DaP 23 Eugene. A week early I know, but I can’t help myself. This is a great show and I hope we get more from Jan ‘78 in the near future. If I go to the archive it’s to seek out a particular PITB, Dark Star or TOO that has yet to be released.
    Edit: I also have attempted on several occasions to listen to full tours through on the anniversary dates (Europe ‘72 and Spring ‘77 and ‘90) which have all failed in some capacity, but it’s enjoyable to try and make it to the end.

12. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I usually go full shows because I like to have context for the truly mind blowing moments. The last few years I've been going chronologically a lot. I like hearing the gradual evolution, and there are so many great moments along the way. It's nice to take the decision making out of my head too... Just go to the next date and hit play.

13. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

After that it felt like time for a Here Comes Sunshine, and it’s hard not to go directly to 12/19/73 Tampa (via DiP 1, as recently brought up by @Islands). There are certainly multiple great candidates but that one is burned into my brain and it hit the spot tonight.

14. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

That Pick suX.
    I just like the artwork, and maybe a few songs.

Mr_Flanders and SJR like this.
  15. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

24 bit 10/11/80 Miller SBD appears on this Saturday.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  16. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

Listening to 1/13/78 it is another great one on the California Dec/January 77/78 tour. Even this Around is noteworthy.

Crispy Rob, adamos, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I can't comment on the whole show, but in terms of long jams, the 10/18/72 looks like the best on paper (and it is very good), but IMO, the long jam from the following night blows it out of the water.

18. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Take the last train to Clarksville.

Matthew Tate, notesofachord and Zafu like this.
  19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Dislike! :laugh:

Crispy Rob and Day_Tripper2019 like this.
  20. Eyes74

I listened to 1/7/78 recently, one where Jerry doesn’t sing because of laryngitis, and that 23 minute Dancin’ is amazing. The whole show is fantastic, especially Jerry’s playing.

21. Eyes74

3/14/71 tonight. Tight show with a killer 21 minute Good Lovin’>Drums>Good Lovin’ and a nice Hard To Handle. Is this the first of many great Wisconsin shows? Looks like 4/26/70 is the first, I’ll have to check it out. A “best shows” of Wisconsin box, maybe 6-10 shows ranging from early 70’s to 89, would be awesome. This show, the two 73, the Keith and Donna 79, and some Alpine 89 would be my votes.

22. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

In my top 5-ish live shows attended, the Boston Music Hall 11/30, 12/01 & 12/02/1973 run is in there. I just pulled out Dick’s#14 and was sadly reminded it just included songs from 11/30 & 12/2. Does anyone have any idea why 12/1/73 is missing ? It was probably the best of the three nights, although all three nights felt like one insanely perfect rock opera for those of us that attended.

Zafu

23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Make more time for the Grateful Dead.

:righton:

Crazy Otto, ARK, frightwigwam and 2 others like this.
  24. notesofachord

[​IMG]

:evil:

25. notesofachord

This.