The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

No "sorrys"! :)

What about "Wake Up to Find Out" (Nassau Coliseum) and "Saint Of Circumstance" (Giants Stadium)?
    "Wake Up to Find Out" sounds incredible good and the performances are stellar.

And I really like every RSD and Black Friday release the Grateful Dead released.

ARK likes this.
  2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

3. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Listening to 12/1/73. 1st set thru to Big River pretty solid so far plus the soundcheck is pretty cool with Blue Suede Shows and Working Man Blues which is basically played like Deep Elem but Jerry sings Working Man Blues (at least partially) instead of Deep Elem.

adamos, Zafu and Crispy Rob like this.
  4. Garcia borrows Dylan's Nashville Skyline voice for a couple of shows...:)

5. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Anyone have any favorite performances of Sugar Mag, especially those with a great Sunshine Daydream coda?

6. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

7. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Apparently, today is the day:

Now listening/watching 7/9/1995

adamos and Islands like this.
  8. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

2/1/78 and 4/22/78 were neck and neck, but I ultimately decided they're different enough -- more specifically, the solos between Sugar Magnolia and Sunshine Daydream have such different characters -- that they can both be my favorite.

9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Man, this 3-28-85 Scarlet>Fire is something else. It's been a while since I've listened to this show.

10. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Braver man than me. I've yet to listen to anything post-'91 other than a few tracks from compilation albums like So Many Roads or Ready or Not.

batdude98 likes this.
  11. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Get thee to October 94: October '94

12. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

There be serpents, yonder...

Eyes74 likes this.
  13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

KCWhistle is spot on about 4/22/78 (it rocks hard), but my personal favorite is from 12/1/79, with a rather unique ending.

14. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

the ironic part is, some of those "less than stellar" period bootleg releases are amongst the best in the series. Self Portrait, you already mentioned, but the Trouble No More release of his live Christian period was phenomenal. I actually find them a little more fulfilling than his "golden" period releases (electric trilogy, Blood on the Tracks) because they offer more surprises. So yes, I say bring on a Dylan and the Dead archival release!

15. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Tempos in the first set are a little on the "easygoing" side by E72 standards, but that second set is a doozy.

Crispy Rob, dgwint and SJR like this.
  16. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Logistically, it also would've been a lot easier to play France/Netherlands and then just jump back over to London. Munich took them 831 km in the other direction.

SJR likes this.
  17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They did have four off days before the next London gig though. Must be the most relaxed schedule ever on a successful tour.

uzn007 likes this.
  18. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

They had to cross and re-cross borders and go through customs multiple times on their itinerary. Seemingly a bit of a risk for that particular group of people.

I assume that booking a tour on a different continent in those days was a bit of an adventure--how to even figure out who to contact, for example.

SJR and frightwigwam like this.
  19. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Does the gentleman who puts together Save Your Face ever do lossless offerings? Don't get me wrong I listen to fair amount of MP3 (most of my collection for portability and saving space), but IIRC, these are VBR?

If so, ultimately I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I thought I might ask.

20. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I made it through Set I and found it too sad to finish yet.

KCWhistle and Islands like this.
  21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I became a fan in '93. Some good stuff that year. Check out the Playing from 5/26/93.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and frightwigwam like this.
  22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

September 93 has a lot worthwhile too with Spectrum and MSG.

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yeah, exactly. Though Luxembourg borders Germany, it just seems strange they’d head east rather than west, en route to the U.K. Another show in France/Netherlands, or even easier/closer, Belgium would have made more sense.

It doesn’t really matter, it was more a curious observation that’s all.

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, although there were a few California bands who had experience touring Europe by then. Zappa/Mothers and Santana for instance.

bzfgt and Gratefully Deadicated like this.
  25. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

You're doubly brave today. First you listen to 7/9/95. Then you admit this on SHF. :hide::D