The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

I personally like June of 85. Greek Theater, Hersey, SPAC, Merriweather. Being 1985, every show had it's off moments but the high points outshined any lows.

2. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Skipped right to Space > St. Stephen > Throwing Stones > Touch Of Grey on 10/11/83, haven’t heard it since the cassette days, it’s as fun as I remember.

Interesting note on the Grateful Deadcast that “I see you’ve got your list out / say your piece and kiss off” was likely a reference to an intervention with Garcia in Barcelona.

Crispy Rob, Bruso, Mad Dog and 3 others like this.
  3. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

I think Garcia may have even said "piss off" in a few of the early versions? Portland 9-17-82 comes to mind but I have not heard it in years and may have been having auditory hallucinations, from my old cassette.

Bananas&blow, Bruso and US Blues like this.
  4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

He did indeed. Listened to that show just last week.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

“Piss off” was the original line. He brought it back 3/8/92 and 3/18/92.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and Wright like this.
  6. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

It’s a treat. Real dark horse, given how little that era’s been covered.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  7. Guy Smiley

Needs a Stealie on the push button.

Bananas&blow, ARK, Bruso and 5 others like this.
  8. Guy Smiley

While I wouldn’t go that far, I do love 80s Dead. And I love Brent’s playing and backing vocals too.

Most of my post-‘70s listening has been ‘87-Summer ‘90, but I’ve become enamored with 1985 lately (Thank you @LandHorses), and I’ve always liked ‘82. Now this MSG box is going to get a lot of play in the months ahead.

Not sure many were clamoring for an early 80s box, but it’s turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. Dave deserves his props!

9. Guy Smiley

Love ‘em both, but you may be right!

US Blues likes this.
  10. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

North American insomniacs like me are usually around when you post in the evening Melbourne time.

Bananas&blow, ARK, WaterLemon and 7 others like this.
  11. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Roanoke Park Indefinitely Forum Resident

So I just read about 9/24/72 after seeing an anniversary tweet about it. Dark Star into China Rider? Good lord. Must listen.

12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

This arvo’s listening is Stanley Theatre, Jersey City, New Jersey, 26/09/72.

[​IMG]

Back in NJ a week after playing at Roosevelt Stadium, this is yet another terrific September ‘72 show that kicked-off a hot three-night run at this venue.

You all know the next (middle) night as Dicks Picks #11—it’s about time this, and the final show was released.

No full run-through. It’s Fall 1972, so you know it’s all gonna be good … and, it is.

Some brief highlights …
    • We’re treated to the first major highlight of the show with an absolutely sublime He’s Gone, which highlights some extraordinarily wonderful band interplay and first-rate vocals, and features an outro that is so utterly blissful it is too beautiful for words. Really, it’s such a complete performance and a perfect rendition despite Bobby not knowing quite sure what was going on at the beginning, as he’s playing Bird Song for the first 10 seconds or so before realising! FFS, Bob!
    • Bird Song. 1972. ‘Nuff said.
    • As is usual for this era, PITB features an exploratory monster jam—dive in and bathe amongst its luxuriously thick and mellow, jazz-tinged, psychedelic swirls of sound and colour. It is quite exquisite.
    • [HISTORICAL NOTE] … this was the last-ever outing for the sweet and gentle, country-rockin’ You Win Again.
    • Truckin’ > TOO — Truckin’ gets down and boogies, jamming hard as it scales dizzying peaks before exploding and drifting out into space … then a brutal cut/reel change … with no words, a powerful and dynamic TOO is a jam of epic proportions which highlights the GoGD’s telepathic collective consciousness, and their uncanny knack for face-stealing group improvisation, before a chaotic meltdown that slowly dissolves surprisingly into …
    • a tremendously soulful It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue, which aches with heartfelt emotion—one of only two played in ‘72 (the other a few days earlier).
    • an absolutely bouncin’ Sugar Magnolia smokes—igniting during Sunshine Daydream, it proceeds to burn the disco theatre down.
    • [NERD-ALERT] … there’s a brief 26 Miles tune-up before the Johnny B. Goode encore.
    “Well folks, it’s real hot y’know—we’re just getting worn out real easy, so we’re uh, gonna do this next tune and then we’re gonna leave you with it, ok?”

I: Promised Land, Cold Rain And Snow, Me And My Uncle, He’s Gone, Mexicali Blues, Deal, Cumberland Blues, Black-Throated Wind, Bird Song, Big River, Sugaree, Around And Around, Casey Jones.

II: Bertha*, Playing In The Band, You Win Again, El Paso, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Greatest Story Ever Told, Tomorrow Is Forever, Truckin’ > The Other One > It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue, Sugar Magnolia.

E: Johnny B. Goode.

13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:edthumbs:

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

[​IMG]

ARK, Crispy Rob, Matthew Tate and 3 others like this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Not yet, but it’s probably going to happen…

17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The artwork vibe is more adulterated street acid than clean family blotter or liquid, to be honest, although depending on the show or the year, one or the other was more accurate for my experience

18. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

I'm thinking of turning to Quobuz for my source of music.

But it's not clear from their guide how I get to choose the download rate - I want to stick with 320kbp, but the option just says "cd quality".

Does the choice of download rate open up once I've made my payment?

Any advice appreciated.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Wait a minute! … There is a verse. I’ve just discovered a more recent source which has patched the missing almost 7 minutes(!) of SBD of this TOO. It’s not just a verse, but a huge Phil solo, too! Happy days.

20. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

Ending my Dead hiatus with the new MSG 3/9/81. Great sq, mix, & performance. Looking forward to the box.

Crispy Rob, mgb70, mBen989 and 2 others like this.
  21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

26 September 1991- Boston Garden

This morning's Dark Star, accompanied by other fine songs. Some view this outing as the last great latter-day GD show, some enjoyed shows further up the timeline, this was a good night is a classic venue.

22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

We’re hearing reports of a wild animal loose on the prowl in the Bay Area this evening, local residents are being urged to stay indoors …

Our reporter is on the scene outside of a locked-down Warfield Theatre, San Francisco, CA, 26/09/80 where it’s believed a dog has wandered onto the stage just as the Grateful Dead’s acoustic set was coming to a close, leaving terrified concertgoers shocked and in disbelief.

[​IMG]
    The Grateful Dead, shortly before the apparent animal attack.

One onlooker described the beast as being, “wolf-like in appearance with two big sharp front teeth—it was snarling and it had its tongue sticking out … I thought they (the band) were goners!”

We reached out to band member Jerry Garcia a short time ago for comment—when asked what had happened, Garcia, appearing to be in a playful and nonchalant mood, simply shrugged and said, “Oh … that’s Otis.”

I’m SJR for GD Daily News, coming to you “between the dawn and the dark of night” …

[​IMG]

23. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

:medal - numerous phenomenal tapers & gear came about in the late 70’s/early 80’s - the MOTB is an excellent project for AUD fiends (like myself), thank you for the recommendation/reminder!!!!

johnnypaddock likes this.
  24. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

if there are to be any remaining vinyl releases of single shows, I'm hoping Amsterdam and Rotterdam get the treatment.

25. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

this was intentional. Captures the early '90s vibe of the liquid blue tie died tshirt era. Really loud and busy

notesofachord likes this.