The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. I want to try it out. I want to confound the algorithm. I want it to build improbable **** for me, completely oblivious to what it's talking about.

2. that's what's funny, I notice where the seams are showing. It's decontextualized. It's turning Bill Burrough's prose into a set of stock tropes.

I bet he'd love it.

"It was amazing. All that would be required for me to write a bestselling novel would be to instruct Siri with a one-sentence plot outline. And then I could return to my researches. Yes, to my researches..."

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    profusion likes this.
  3. Jimbobwe

Jimbobwe Forum Resident

The night before is also a keeper. Hopefully to be released some day.

edit: I think it’s the last Cryptical>TOO

profusion likes this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

1985 would like a word with you.

KCWhistle, US Blues, SJR and 2 others like this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I knew you were going to be all over that…

KCWhistle, uzn007, YouCantWin and 5 others like this.
  6. Jimbobwe

Jimbobwe Forum Resident

Speak to me 1985. On which date can I find you? I’d love a listen.

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

9/3/85 - Starlight Theater is the last one.

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

There were five versions in '85, starting with 6/16/85 at the Greek, followed by 6/24 Riverbend (in the Porch Crusher), 6/30 Merriweather Post Pavilion (possibly the best show of the year), 7/13 Ventura, and the aforementioned 9/3 version. Jerry's '85 vocals are shaky at pretty much all of the versions that I've heard, which are all except Ventura, but it's been a while since I listened to Starlight. Anyway, all 4 of the shows that I have heard are stellar overall, with Cryptical being a bit more of a welcome novelty than a linchpin of those shows.

9. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I had a thought over my morning coffee earlier, regarding potential future archival releases:

I regularly read lamentation about the early Dick's Picks being highlights or compilations of shows or runs that deserve full-show treatment. Just in the past few pages, we've seen discussion about the shame early December 1973 shows were cut up for Dick's 14. Furthermore, I also have read plenty of commentary around the mastering of these early Picks as being substandard compared to what modern technology allows, and at the very least, what is often available on the Archive.

Well, October 31st, 2023 marks the thirtieth anniversary of Dicks very first pick! And what better time to launch the new line of archival releases,

Ladies, gentlemen, and non-binary friends of the Dead, Dave Lemieux and Rhino Entertainment proudly presents:

UNCUT DICKS

An ongoing series that revisits the early Picks, remastered from the original tapes and represented in full.

Dick's Picks Uncut, Volume 1, we've got the complete show from December 19, 1973
    Dick's Picks Uncut, Volume 2, the complete October 31, 1971
    Dick's Picks Uncut, Volume 3, the complete May 22, 1977
    Dick's Picks Uncut, Volume 4, a mammoth set with both shows from Feb 13 and 14, 1970....

What about Volume 5, I hear you say? That does represent a complete concert... Well I would take the opportunity to remaster the performance, and bundle it with an unreleased performance from a date or two either side of it.

You get the idea.

And yes, all this was an elaborate thought experiment that stemmed from an immature pun on the title of the series.

10. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I’m in. Where do I sign up for subscription?

US Blues, SlimLee and shadowcurtain like this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Just Google "Uncut Dicks" and I'm sure you'll find plenty of subscription options. You go first.

12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:biglaugh:

Ha! My wife’s just getting over me talking about and googling Dick’s Picks!

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

We had a party recently when one of our friends who is back on the dating scene was talking to my wife about the whole dating app trend of sending the other kind. Neither of them are into the Dead, but another woman friend who is walked into the conversation and they asked her what she thought about Dick Picks and she said something like "Oh I love Dick's Picks, they're so great," and then was mortified when she found out what they were really talking about, and was like "oh! NO, NO, NO!!!!" It was comedy gold in the moment.

14. of course this should happen.

Paul Krassner would approve.

US Blues and SlimLee like this.
  15. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

So who's gonna start the petition for Dave to release the Uncut Dicks?!

US Blues likes this.
  16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I want to party with you, man. Post scotch tasting included.

17. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I'd advise DL to be circumspect about this.

Dahabenzapple, Archtop, ARK and 6 others like this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

We need to make this happen! Peaty or non-peaty scotch? I favor the former, but there is much to like about either.

19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I wanna come, too. I love scotch. Mmm, scotchy scotchy scotch.

20. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

:medal

21. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Thanks!! It’s about time someone recognized my achievements

OhioHead, US Blues and YouCantWin like this.
  22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Well, if we want the new series to fly under the radar, and avoid potential cross-contamination, I'll offer a name variation:

No Bris Dick's

Crazy Otto, ARK, SlimLee and 7 others like this.
  23. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

9 December 1989- Great Western Forum, Englewood, CA

IWT. Perhaps a less-recognized show from the time-frame, they played wonderfully. This was a Bear Medicine show, Uncle Albert was delighted.

SJR, Crispy Rob, Billy_Sunday and 3 others like this.
  24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

My last 3 West Coast GD shows… Caught a couple JG/DG in Jan and my last JGB shows before heading home in February but this night was fun…. Killer DS and opener but Ornette brought a dream to life. Thought this show was better than the night before and Branford the next but actually had great fun at all 3
    [​IMG]

SlimLee, SJR, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Not sure if this was posted here or not, still haven’t caught up completely from my ((trip)) but thought it was worthwhile