The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

6/19/89 has an amazing Birdsong that gets way out there, worth a listen on the Archive

2. Duffy Shrimpton

Duffy Shrimpton Forum Resident

Wot now, son?
    Them lot was done 15 years earlier, mate...The Godchaucers sacked...Keefers was strung out playin' wedding gigs
    with him bird...THEM WAS ON STAGE AT THE LYCEUM a few years before this bollocks...
    The Leshers....bloody HELL The Leshers ye barely knew was on the bloody podium him was so quiet...yer man...
    the intro to "Other One" sounded like a feminine napkin jingle on the telly...Mick came back ta the lot...nigh...a SHAMBLES that
    ...bloke needed ta keep him in Marin and OFF the bloody band stand...him and him cow-bell shambles.....Garcia?...
    the lads reckoned once him dropped the lysergic gear him fell off...yer man needed a bit of kit every show like him done in '72...
    the lads knew...Taffy heard by the 80's the backstage punters looked more like a bloody gymnasium concern than a proper Dead gig....
    what a yoga mat doin' backstage where the bloody powder, ale n' hash buffet once stood then, my sons?
    Nigh...there NO Gratefuls gear allowed in the Arms after "Blues fer Allah"
    Ask any punter stumblin around Cornwall with a boot in him flares, HIM will tell yas!
    The knowledge needs ta be passed down ta the young yanks about the west coast lot WILL drive a man ta drink!
    and it shall, my sons, and it shall!

3. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

And so was the album thusly known, forevermore

4. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Fire on the Mountain

US Blues and KCWhistle like this.
  5. uzn007

I believe Taffy may have been misinformed.

6. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Avalon Ballroom
    1244 Sutter Street, 1967

[​IMG]

7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

8. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

April Fools. The tone is just exactly perfect though. My reptilian brain was convinced for about two seconds.

I don't think Phil and the Drummers will ever agree to anything other than to disagree.

Post this on reddit and watch the chaos. Or maybe this is from there?

What's really happening is Mayer's Dancing Bears featuring Donna. Stay tuned . . . .

No joke, listening to Dave's Picks Vol. 43: SF 1969/11/02 | Dallas 1969/12/26

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  9. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

I'll be getting to that one soon, later today.

10. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Welcome Back Garcia is right one down

Thank God Travolta doesn’t look like anyone in the band
    Let alone Horseshack

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  11. uzn007

Weir said almost the exact same thing a few years ago, presumably in earnest:

Bob Weir on Dead & Company’s Future, John Mayer’s Strengths – Rolling Stone

12. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  14. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Spring 1990 boxes have such nice artwork as well.

15. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

The CSN cover?

16. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Just started up a first listen to 1989/07/10 East Rutherford, NJ (Giants Stadium 87, 89, 91) and this completes the Giants Stadium '87-'89-'91 box for me.

[​IMG]

17. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Workingman’s Dead is back taking orderers / in stock at Music Direct for the Mobile Fidelity 45 rpm
    Warning - it is analog to dsd but it sounds fantastic

18. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Great show

19. they had a fake backstage anteroom, with a side entrance to the real place.

< the dead were so big at that point that they replaced the entire audience with paid extras, just to con the welsh

20. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

IWT

22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

IWT

23. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I almost feel guilty how often I say I was there, but I was and we loved the show. I’ve written about this night previously. We were very close and there was a moment when Jerry pulled a riff off in Truckin that was extremely tasty. Donna looked over to him and smile d and Jerry gave a smile and shrug back as if to say “I don’t know where that came from either”. LOL. True. Not a hallucination I assure you. OtherOne into rider was a real treat. :bdance:

That was almost a wrap for me that tour but had to get back to Boston for 4/2:tiphat:

24. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I’m clean over 18 years and I’ve never found it “easy” just a simple one day at a time (not a cliche) process with me attending many meetings per week the whole time I’ve been clean. I’ve never been more than 4 days without a meeting.

My life is a result of an initial total surrender to the principles of the 12 step fellowship I’m a member of. I’ve seen so many die from the disease of addiction I’ve lost count.
    Blessed to be at my 7th theatre show in the last 3 weeks tonight. Wilco at Capital Theatre.

So far I’ve never forgotten what it’s like to have no car, no job, on probation, completely unemployable and facing a second bankruptcy and being beyond hopeless at 44 years old.

fwiw Wilco was incredible on Thursday night & expect the same tonight. There is nothing like live music. I also do not forget that from March 2020 through Spring/Summer 2021 that there was no live music for me and others. I’m planning on dozens of shows through this year including Dead related, Per ****ing Ubu on 6/19 and many many live improvised avant-garde shows in NYC including Vision Fest in June in Brooklyn and maybe even the Berlin Jazz Festival later this year.

a 72 year old friend in recovery (multiple cancer survivor) said a week or two ago “if not now, when?”

most know what I’ve been through since last October 21st when my wife passed suddenly on her 66th birthday / and that’s why I say it’s never “easy” to stay clean but I do know that life is for the living. Her death and dealing with my grief without using is toughest thing I’ve ever experienced besides getting & staying clean in November 2004. I took well over a thousand bus rides to go to ** meetings before I was able to get a cheap car with over 2 years clean. This week I ordered a new 2024 Mustang GT V8 to replace my current 2020 Mustang.

peace and blessings to all of you here / especially to Scott & Chris:)

Still,,,,,,

Coming Down the Mountain

25. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I honestly am completely over it and don't struggle at all. Maybe I'm lucky. I have never done the 12 steps and attended only one meeting on my 3rd day of sobriety.

I used Eastern spirituality, music, yoga, counseling and breathing exercises. Also my family was my main motivator.