The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Try 11/6/77 Jerry does a very cool and unusual jam at the end.

2. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]

two shows that while you get the choice cuts it still was butchered

3. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

The free Dead & Co. @ Bonnaroo video webcast has started, but on a delay. The audio is live on Sirus XM dead channel and about 30 min ahead. Listening now and they sound good tonight. Nice to see and hear Donna onstage for Bertha and a really nice jammed PITB.

arrowman, warewolf95, nitsuj and 8 others like this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

It sounds fantastic. John is killing it on guitar

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I haven't put on some dead in over a week. too much stuff to listen to. the 1978 road trips when the band returned from Egypt is still next up

6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

It was "curated," and in fairness there are sonic issues in the first set of both shows. We did get the choice cuts, as you noted, and in the end I am grateful we did.

7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This is one of my top three or four from that series.

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I would have preferred the whole shows. But overall, I agree, everything on it is gold, and I think the Fall '77 and MSG '90 were much worse butchering jobs.

9. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I stopped buying the Road Trips series after the first year and I think that was a big mistake. That Wall of Sound release is one that I regret not owning because it's a period that interests me. That said, it was the sense of buying a lot of music with the flow chopped up and lots of material missing that made me skip.

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    The mother of all E72 releases. Doctored, sped-up, mixed to a tee. One of the most elegant Grateful Dead albums ever.

11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I just recently read that it was sped up. Any info on why?

US Blues likes this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Maybe to make it sound brighter, who knows.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. US Blues

Well, time moves differently in Europe than in California. When they got the tapes back to the Bay Area, the band was faced with the issue of correcting the space/time anomalies caused by the translation back to the San Andreas Fault. Plus Phil has perfect pitch, and his need for control had to be assuaged- the only solution was to change the speed of the tapes, while doing all the studio overdubs, to make everything just exactly perfect. Or something.

14. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I bought the triple LP in 77 or 78. I have no idea where the records are or where any of my records are, for that matter. Best guess is either in Union, NJ or more likely in West Orange, NJ.

In any event I havn't owned an LP (or a turntable) of any type in over 25 years. I think one reason I avoided this site as I knew the primary(?) focus was sound, audio equipment, etc. which is not my deal except that I like music that sounds great on whatever I'm playing it on!!!

So the original was a big favorite (along with Skull & Roses) and maybe a bit of WD, AB & WOTF. I was MUCH more into Genesis, Yes, Floyd, Gong, Traffic, Gentle Giant and especially King Crimson.

So when 5/11/79 didn't sound like Europe 72, my interested faded save for buying and liking Dead Set. For whatever reason, I never "heard" the Jams. I had Live/Dead but I couldn't make it through Dark Star!!!

I think I had to discover Miles, Mingus, Trane > Cecil, Ornette, Ayler, Bley>>>> Evan Parker, Misha Mengelberg, Hamid Drake, Barry Guy, John Stevens, John Butcher, Axel Doerner, Fred Anderson, Paul Rutherford, Tony Malaby and Joe Maneri, et al BEFORE I was able to hear this group of ultimate improvisors.

I always heard the 'songs'. I knew Brown Eyed Woman, Candyman, Loser, Jack Straw and Ramble On Rose were classics.

I did NOT know that Lesh & Garcia were the best and the *only* musicians who could and did play what they played. I'm now astounded. I think I'll go back this week and spin my current 2 CD set of Europe 72 for good measure:)

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

This was a really important album in the band's history: first ever officially released "China>Rider", the prototypical "Morning Dew", great quantity of new numbers which would become classics, some astonishing improvisations on sides 5 and 6, first album with Keith (and Donna), last album with Pigpen.
    Given the importance and quality of that tour, Europe '72 might look as a mere souvenir, but it's also a truly brilliant album. I remember not being extremely thrilled by this music the first time I listened to it. It was a really different sound from the 1968-1969 period which was the one that obsessed me when I started to listen to the band. It didn't take long until I fell for it...

16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Great scott!

[​IMG]

17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Is it true that the Dead staff is sending Jeffrey Norman back in time to 5/8/77 to do a multitrack recording at Cornell? :D

ailgin, warewolf95, LUNACHUCK and 3 others like this.
  18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Yes, I guess those who have the complete '72 have moved on from the original Europe '72 album, but until very recently it was still getting mentioned as one of the first ports of call for a trainee deadhead, and it completely holds up (as, for me, does Skull & Roses). I think we often tend to see the GD in terms of the latest high-profile releases, but there's undeniable classic status to many of the early releases.

19. wavethatflag

I have the 72 suitcase and I still listen to the good 'ol original album. Just like I have every version of Live At Leeds but still listen to the original MCA CD.

I've probably done it, but right now I'm gonna say I'd never start a new Deadhead on a full show. You have to work up to that gradually or you might strain something and go back to your Monkees albums. And that would be a tragedy.

As to your first post above, (I messed up my reply here on my phone) I think intellectually I prefer full shows, but viscerally I don't care. I put in any RT that isn't a full show and I never have a problem listening to it. Sometimes l'll catch myself thinking "Wow, this is the best show ever" and then remember it's not one show.

But that said I've never listened to the full versions of many RT shows, so I don't know what's missing. Ignorance being bliss and all that.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  20. Dahabenzapple

Before I came to this forum and saw the main music page, I had NO idea that ANYONE listened to Monkees CDs

I wouldn't have known they even released CDs of the Monkees!!

21. wavethatflag

I don't know why I felt the need to take a shot at the Monkees. Oh well, it happened.

And I'm unaware of any empirical evidence that the Monkees are a gateway band to the Dead. They're not your stepping stone. o_O

22. Dahabenzapple

I read the rules around this place and I've also become much more civil vis a vis musical discussions or I woulda jumped in on a few of those incredibly huge threads discussing incredibly inane and boring music:)

laf848, warewolf95 and wavethatflag like this.
  23. wavethatflag

I don't know the context in terms of when, how and where he said it, but when I saw the recent thread about how Peter Tork stated the Monkees have the second or third best songbook in rock, I had to put myself in a straight jacket lest I get banned from the forum.

24. US Blues

Better they should record October thru December of 1973 in multitrack.

warewolf95, budwhite and LUNACHUCK like this.
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, of course, but they would sell more copies of Cornell, so that's why I put that example. Don't make me dream of multitracks that will never happen, because the list wouldn't end.

budwhite, LUNACHUCK and Spadeygrove like this.