The greatest consumer cassette tape deck ever produced?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cowboy Kim, Feb 3, 2017.

1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Why do you have so much hate for the good sellers on Ebay? What have they ever done to you classic car dude?

2. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

yes my setting is 100 on my decks.

3. Classic Car Guy

120 can do it... See john. I have an analog 1/32 octave graphic equalizer. I been using graphics equalizer for a ling time basically I tried pretty much the best of the best. This one is one them. So I have no problem at all "shaping" frequencies.
    Okay back to the NAK. whats the verdict. what is a good playback machine? that has rigidity and workhorse?

4. john morris

I knew it! I knew it! Well my Nak deck was 1979 and the switch had provisions for only 120 and 70 micro seconds.

5. Classic Car Guy

The ferric chrome recordings Ive done sounds the best in the JVC anrs series.
    what model is your nak?

6. john morris

Ahhhh! Close but no cigar. If it was recorded 100 ms then it needs to be played back at 100 ms.
    You know that.

Now, go stand in the corner.

7. john morris

Sorry, the 582. When did they stop putting type 3 bias and EQ settings in cassette decks? 1977?
    1975?

8. Classic Car Guy

Well you know a lot about nakamichi. I hope they made a ferric-chrome capability, Burt I can always keep the JVC

9. Classic Car Guy

Nope... wrong info. 1981

10. john morris

Ahhh yea. The 582 was and is famous.
    A RTR sound from a cassette machine. The thing was like 18 pounds.

11. john morris

Yes, this is why I am asking. I recieved the 582 in 1980. But I could be wrong. Might have been 1981. I was 12 then. Out of Special Ed and into Grade 6.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  12. john morris

Not really. Female biology is my specialty.
    I am frequently shocked at how misinformed many ladies are about their own bodies. And how clueless many guys are.

Back to Nak A Decks.....

I read a lot. And I owned a Nak 582 back in 1981.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  13. Classic Car Guy

Well John youre right. 1979 is the last year of equalization. Here is a picture of my early JVC right before the ANRS.

john morris likes this.
  14. Classic Car Guy

Oh for real. ? I better start reading about it and learn more.
    Bro I wanna tell you a recipe that I been cheating on recently... I have a Tascam 102 and I been recording on real good type 1. Since I started using the motu interface, this recorder blew my mind when I heard the playback on the nakamichi. I'm serious man. I thought it was a glitch. I did about 5 to 7 c-90 mostly NAC, 1 Sony and 1 1987 Fuji. OMG. :nauga:
    One of my best recordings. Ill even send you a copy if you want.
    Thinking about selling all my CD which is not a lot. 150 cd can buy some quality blank tapes.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

$20-$30 for metal tape is TOO EXPENSIVE. When I can buy LPR-35 open reel pancakes for that each for use at home with the same amount of recording time, IEC equalization, 4 times the track width, and being able to print 3 times the flux level on said tape, which means I GET ALL OF MY MUSIC without waver, or lack of dynamics. And a lot simpler to repair, maintain, and setup. And unlike Dragon or Tandberg, I have enough spare parts to build 14 Otari MX 5050 B II machines at the ready.

16. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Good for you. Not so great for everyone else!

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My 1968 Gates Radio Criterion Stereo record/reproduce NAB cart machine outperforms the above cassette decks. In every aspect. And can do it at 0 VU referenced to 185 nwb/meter. And phase coherent. No metal tape or CRO2 necessary. And built to handle 18 hour/day use every day, money and revenue lost when it is down for any reason reliable. Cassette decks are for dictation, church sermons, survelliance, and car use. Choose TOY or tools, choose reliable or failure. I choose reliable and phase stability. And works every time.

john morris likes this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Simple, and reliable and failure is NO OPTION. Every 60 seconds the tape machines are down in my world, is money and revenue lost for the machines owner and caretakers, reputation lost. Mine is not an I Want, mine is an I NEED situation. Choose tools and workhorses, or choose the pretty toys which are unreliable. Cassette for me is for News actualities, emergency use or for similar situations. Not as on the air tape. NEVER on air save for news and field use. I am the one who recommends what is bought at my work, the one who installs it, the one who maintains it and services it, the one who trains the operators on how to use it and care for it, when to call or page me. And this is 24/7/365. Please understand where I am coming from, and where 47 years of experience is coming from in terms of my posts. This is from AM/FM broadcasting, and from 4 times a year proof of performances mandated by the FCC.

john morris likes this.
  19. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Type 3, Ferrichrome, was intended to played back with 70us, mostly for compatibility with previous models and circuits, although something else might have been better. But recording it was wildly variable on different units. It seems many decks with a Type III or FeCr setting on front used Normal bias and Chrome style EQ for recording because those circuits were already designed, and Chrome 70us EQ for playback. Probably only Sony decks at the FeCr switch had recording bias and EQ really designed for (their) FeCr, because Sony manufactured and pushed this type tape and held out the longest for it, and still 70us playback EQ.

john morris and sunspot42 like this.
  20. Classic Car Guy

Happy Friday and its recording time soon as I get home. See you there!

john morris likes this.
  21. harby

harby Forum Resident

A lot better if you can dial in the particular tape's bias setting with deck-generated calibration tones like my JVCs:

[​IMG]

This front panel bias knob is a sub-control of bias trim pots inside the deck for normal and chrome/metal. If the bias can't accommodate the range where you can calibrate both type 3 and 4, I expect it could be tweaked internally to a usable range (where the center detent is no longer preset for JVC chrome tapes).

I tried recording on some early 70's cheap normal cassettes, and my bias knob didn't go low enough to make them reproduce flat to 10kHz.

Tape type doesn't absolutely dictate the playback EQ. There were pre-recorded chrome tapes that played back at normal.

I've been curious what today's tape backup tape would sound like if it was sliced and wound into a cassette. I expect the hysteresis and coercitivity is more suited to 1s and 0s than linear audio.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    john morris likes this.
  22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I got a nice mid-price Sony deck in '83 that still supported FeCr tape, but by that point I couldn't find it anymore in the stores I had access to in Phoenix. Always wanted to at least give it a try, since the deck supported it.

You can get them on eBay now, but they'll set you back $15-$40 a pop...

23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Would probably shred the heads - I think most of those tapes are evaporated metal, aren't they?

24. john morris

Nice EQ knob. Mmm mmm good! I wish cassette decks still had that. Sad.

Yes you can record a Type 2 tape at 120 us. This will give you more high frequency headroom at the expense of signal to noise ratio. As in 2 db more of hiss. 120 us for Type 1, 70 us for type 2
    100 us for type 3, 70 us for type 4 were chosen for a reason. Those EQ will give the best sound for that tape type. Regardless, if you record a Type 2 tape at 120 us then you must play it back at 120 us. So if you record a Type 3 tape at 90 us, then you must play it back at 90 us and not 120 us. Tape Type EQ is not like EQ on a equalizer.

25. john morris

Some say 100 us for type 3.