The Greatest Movie Rip-Offs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham

Graham Senior Member

How is the latter a rip-off?

2. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

If we are going to have a Clint rip off it should be Play Misty For Me & Fatal Attraction.

peopleareleaving likes this.
  3. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Shawshank is the superior film, but there are ringing similarities throughout.

4. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I just saw Body Heat and except for the twist at the end , which in retrospect you could tell in some ways, I found it very underwhelming . I know in its time it was very daring but now feels dated and trying too hard to seem like noir imo. ( the dialogue, the heat, fog ) So it is a rip off of DIndemnity but not a good one .

misterjones likes this.
  5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Any & all Marvel films.

6. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

If I'm not mistaken, Midnight Madness (from 1980) was itself an imitation of Scavenger Hunt.

7. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Next you'll be telling me West Side Story ripped off Romeo and Juliet.

8. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

"To Have and Have Not" borrowed a lot from "Casablanca". Bogey as the same sort of cynical, world weary character, acting neutral during WWII, sticking his neck out for no one, but ends up helping the good guys.

9. Of what?

10. There's a thin line between tribute and a rip off. It's all about the execution I suppose.

11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Themselves

12. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I generally liked Body Heat, though there's no comparison to the Wilder-Chandler Double Indemnity.

While we're on the topic of not-so-good homage movies, how about Vertigo and Body Double. Ick.

13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Airplane II: The Sequel is pretty much the same movie as the original Airplane, but I love William Shatner's role so much that I can forgive it.

14. There are only 36 dramatic situations. One could argue that all films are redressings of what came before.

There are tropes that are part of origin stories that are hard (if not impossible) to get around. I never understood the need for example for Sony, with the reboot of Spider-Man with Andrew Garfield. One origin story is enough. I think that for the "Hulk" reboot they did the wise thing with just summarizing the origin and then moving on.

Hopefully they will do something similar with the Fantastic Four given that we've had told twice in two major films (I'm not counting the cartoon series nor the Roger Corman film).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  15. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

The cinematic release A Quiet Place vs. the Netflix original Silence.

I believe A Quiet Place is playing now in Amazon Prime Video.

16. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

And, of course, my favorite of the 36 . . .

Coincidentally, there are many scenes in Barton Fink taken from Eraserhead (and not just Turturo's haircut).

17. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Never saw Body Double but if they were trying to imitate Vertigo or Hitchcock in general , it's a big mistake .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.