The Grey Fox (1982 film with Richard Farnsworth)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, May 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I've been wanting to see this film again, but with no luck. The DVD is out of print, and it doesn't seem to be available on streaming.

Richard Farnsworth, who you may remember from Into The Night or The Straight Story, starred as Bill Miner, a stagecoach robber released from prison into a world where stagecoaches have been replaced by automobiles.

It was beautiful without being cloying, wistful without being saccharine. I'd love to see it again, and in HD.

Almost all of the IMDb reviews are raves: The Grey Fox (1982) - The Grey Fox (1982) - User Reviews - IMDb

Edit: I think I've found out how this slipped through the cracks when I saw the trailer - American Zoetrope was the studio.

2. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Have never seen The Frey Fox sounds interesting, I like Farnsworth.

3. Chris DeVoe

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Don't remember much of it, but I remember thinking 'what a great intelligent movie' when it ended

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

6. Chris DeVoe

I was reminded of this by the Murder Ballad thread, and a moment in the film of Farnsworth singing Sweet Betsy from Pike.

7. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I think I saw this in the theater during its original release after Siskel & Ebert gave it a strong recommendation on their old PBS show. If I’m not mistaken the location photography was very nice, probably deserving of a blu-Ray release today. However, it might of fallen into rights-holder limbo being a Canadian production.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

That, and Coppola's ill-fated American Zoetrope studio. It's a crying shame, as I think a lot of people would love this film if they ever had a chance to see it. Another film like that is Never Cry Wolf.

9. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I watched the Gray Fox on cable many years ago & really liked it. I think that was my introduction to Richard Farnsworth.
    It's interesting you started this thread because just in the past few days I started searching online for a dvd copy of the film & found this. Does this not look like a reliable copy of the film?

The Grey Fox (DVD)

There are a couple of other online film stores that have it for sale. I'm thinking about buying one.

longdist01, TMRY and Chris DeVoe like this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

I'm sure it will be a burned copy from the Laserdisc. I called home and asked my wife and she's sure we have it on VHS and may have it on Laserdisc.

11. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

"The Grey Fox" is an excellent film. I hate to think of it as somehow being unavailable as I have not seen it in decades.

Richard Farnsworth was so authentic and natural on screen in all of his roles. Nothing forced or showy, just homespun aw-shucks charm and charisma. A fascinating life, too. A stunt man in a Marx Brothers film ("A Day at the Race") plus "Gunga Din" and "Spartacus"? Bit parts in "Gone With the Wind" and "Red River"?

12. htom

htom Senior Member

Some four years or so back a British label named Panamint announced a Blu-ray release (region free). There was some confusion about the intended aspect ratio but it did sound as if the intention was to go with 1.85:1 over the 1.37:1 transfer initially announced. But that was the last anyone heard about this particular title in that catalog.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

I can't recall what the original aspect ratio was, but Zoetrope's One From The Heart was 1.37:1, so it might have been.

14. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Here's a documentary about it:

15. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

I was just looking for this film yesterday and was coming up with no way to see it. Came here figuring if anyplace could help me it would be this forum...oh well, at least i got good company! (tho my interlibrary loan system here came up with nothing on The Grey Fox, try your local branch, i've gotten to see a few hard to find VHS stuff that way)

16. Chris DeVoe

Sadly, it's stuck in limbo apparently due to the collapse of Coppola's American Zoetrope.

17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Wonderful, gentle, touching film. Haven't seen it in at least 30 years. "Sweet Betsy from Pike" was a great moment.

18. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Now look what you've done. I have to go blow the dust off of my LD copy.
    I loved him in "The Natural" too.
    "Sure can't spell it but it eats good."

longdist01, Karnak and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Yeah, i read that above and i get it, a shame, wonder what if anything could inspire this to get even a stream. And the thing is i went looking for this for my parents, they love Richard Farnsworth and you can only watch The Straight Story so many times, know what i mean?!?! (Great movie though)

Am seriously considering that link above for what has to be a dvdr burn of the movie.

20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Would a video label like Shout Factory, Twilight Time or Arrow be one to pursue a license to release on Blu-Ray eventually?

21. Chris DeVoe

I would hope Criterion would do it.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. Grilch

Grilch New Member

I first saw The Grey Fox as a teen in an art house theatre and was utterly captivated by its beauty, characterizations, acting, photography, and story. It's hard to overstate the effect this film has had on me. I downloaded an illegal rip of the disappointing VHS version but I keep checking every so often to see if it will get a proper digital release. No dice so far.

I just purchased a laserdisc version on DVD-R from MovieDetective.net (but now I suddenly don't see it there anymore) which is better than the VHS but not by all that much. I'm borderline obsessed with this film and every time I watch it I'm still thrilled and moved but it's painful because the inferior fullscreen home video versions can't even begin to capture the visual beauty of the theatrical version that I remember.

I reckon Chris is right: It's probably stuck in legal limbo somewhere. How do you find out who owns the rights to a film? If we could find out, there might be a way to lobby them. Anyway, nice to see so many other fans!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. TMRY

TMRY Forum Resident

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

25. Chris DeVoe

The trailer looks beautiful:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.