The Guess Who's Best Of LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

Did all of the LP's of The Best of The Guess Who use the edited version of American Woman? I once had the same album on CD and the CD has the album length version of the song.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The LP, Cass and 8 Track did not.

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

......neither did the quad 8 track!

:-jon

4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The Guess Who has more best of cd compilations than one can even count. I'm sure there is some odd lp compilation that has the long version - somewhere.

5. Sckott

Not that I know of. Even the UK LPs had the short version on GH.

"American Woman" is a great album. Should be savored as an artist concept away from compilations. The album itself carries at least four songs I would consider their best.

6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Canned Wheat often gets airtime on my table. Love the full length version of No Time.

7. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hello reb.

Tell me more about a full-length version of No Time. ¿Isn't the 3:45 version the only one?

Thanks in advance.

8. thomh

thomh New Member

Speaking of The Guess Who, on my Elvis Welcome To My World LP from 1977 side A is incorrectly labeled The Greatest of The Guess Who with the following 6 songs: These Eyes, Laughing, Undun, No Time, American Woman and Hand Me Down. The music is pure Elvis though. Was this an actual Guess Who LP at the time?

Thom

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

On the Canned Wheat vinyl LSP-4157 RCA label. No Time clocks in at 5:15. First time I heard it I nearly fell out of my chair- as the only version I had heard previously was the 3:45 or the 3:44- 45rpm single. Canned Wheat was recently remastered for cd- the long No Time might be on that.

10. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

The CANNED WHEAT version of "No Time" is known to fans as Version 1, since it's the 'original version.' In addition to Version 2--the 45 mix/fade, there's the AMERICAN WOMAN version, a slightly different mix w/longer fade, IIRC, but the same take as the 45. Haven't played either in ages; the Quad Japan Lp of AW is a killer: clean sound, fun and playful mixes. A keeper if you're a fan of such things.

ED:cool:

scottc1963 likes this.
  11. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Thanks reb and Ed.

Will the CW version sound weird to me, been used to the Best of version?

The harmonies of that song are deeply ingrained in my eardrums, next to the ones from BB's and The Association's.

Is the Best of version the same as the 45?

Which one is the basis for the Quad version?

Thanks in advance.

12. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Version #1 ONLY came out on Canned Wheat. ALL other releases are the 45 version.
    Now tha BMG is doing DVD-A, let's see some 5.1 Guess Who!

13. Sckott

I own Canned Wheat on CD but I'm almost positive (??) the single version is on there.

I have a Discovery CD that has the Version 1 cut, so I'm sure it ended up on something....

14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I have the newer, remastered one, and it definitely has version 1 only.

15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

How is the sound quality on that. The Guess Who on cd is vey tough to get right. Much of that material has an AM radio style of eq on the tapes.

16. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Thanks!

17. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Very hissy too I might add. But at least they didn't no-noise the tapes.

My favorite Guess Who is the 3 CD ultimate collection. All the essential stuff is there.

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I had the 3 cd anthology but sold it. Think it was no-noised. I finally found a cd I can live with -the 1999 Greatest Hits cd. RCA 67774-2. Every other GW cd I have heard is just plain bad. I'll look into the Ultimate set. But the GW is best on vinyl IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.