The Hasselblad 500C and why NASA took it to the moon. (NPR Story)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

The 'Blad 500C is a timeless masterpiece of a design that was a perfect choice for the moon assignment.

NASA had to make some heavy handed mods for this very specific purpose, but the pictures the astronauts made with them are still mind blowing. Kudos to Kodak as well, of course.

Great story.
    The Camera That Went To The Moon And Changed How We See It

dan c

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

4. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

You'll get a very brief view of a Hasselblad 500C in this trailer for 8 Days To The Moon & Back, fantastic reconstruction currently on BBC iplayer

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

As an amateur photographer I have lusted my whole life for a 'Blad. I wish I could justify the expense, but my meager skills could not do it justice.

longdist01 and Dan C like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Honestly, you should be able to buy one cheap enough from an estate sale.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

Prices are going back up. I've been watching for one, should've bought one several years ago.

In 2014 I borrowed a 500C kit for a newspaper shoot. I wish I could've kept it, and I'd bet money it hasn't been used even once since.
    Gallery: Platte Valley Braces For Change

dan c

8. Chris DeVoe

Possibly, but my friend who runs estate sales has to get rid of film cameras all the time as basically scrap metal. Admittedly HB has a cachet, but I would shop around, especially on the last day of a sale.

longdist01 likes this.
  9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

HasselbladsStill not “cheap”. A CM body runs $400-$700 depending on condition. With basic lens starts at $1,200 — they're sorta the Thorens of cameras. Ain’t nobody selling them for $50 bucks. Any estate sale shopper in his right mind is going to trample you to get at a Hasselblad.

Dan C likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

I guess I missed my opportunity then. I was assigned the rather weird job of going through a storage locker belonging to a man who was in a nursing home... to get rid of all the pictures of this man dressed in drag. One of his friends paid me to do this so his family wouldn't be shocked when they went through the stuff after he died.

Also in the storage locker was a bunch of vintage Hasselblads, including a bunch of lenses.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. arley

arley Forum Resident

One thing to note in looking at the images captured on the moon: notice how clear and sharp they are. There is no air to diffuse the light. That's also why the shadows are completely dark.

Literally out of this world.

13. Dan C likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I like the fact that NASA machined some unneeded weight off of the camera. I guess that means no audiophile-cabinet equipment on the moon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.