The Highwaymen (Netflix)--Woody Harrelson, Costner, Kathy Bates March 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Feb 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I watched this and highly recommend it. I would voluntarily watch it again, which is as much as you can say for a movie.

Hawkman, Motorcity supernaut and Myke like this.
  2. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Title means little. Conviction; well that's another thing. I may have overstated my case in Woody being the superior actor. I like Costner a lot.

3. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Actually I agree with you. Costner, for me, could be hit or miss, with a few misses for sure. He was a hit in this role. Just great, and you didn’t feel like you were watching Kevin Costner play Kevin Costner. Harrelson is terrific in almost everything and this was no exception.

4. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

Entertaining, but a lot of it didn't ring true, especially the portrayal of the governor.

5. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

In what way? I had a quick look online after watching it and the governor doesn't come across as a character of virtue!

6. Well, Bonnie didn't scream when the first bullets hit her. Supposedly that happened in real life.

Some of the sequence of events were off, but I don't think they hurt the movie. I saw this last night. I liked it a lot.

As far as being accurate, though, they did a great job with the sets, the language, the costumes, and it was a nice touch that the weapons were all correct, including the Browning Automatic Rifle used in the film, which in real life, as in the flick, it was a Colt knock-off of a BAR from the early '20s, with that funky flash suppressor at the end of the barrel. They are rare. One has fetched up to $100,000+ at auction.

I didn't notice any acronyms, which is something I always scout for in a period piece.

The only thing I didn't like was the car chase in the dirt field. I can't find any reference of that happening in real life; moreover, c'mon, these guys are portrayed as bad asses (and they were), but none of that should have stopped them from bagging B&C in that moment, alone, not to mention in the town, where Gault could have pushed through the crowd, on foot, to nab them.

Otherwise, that's kind of nitpicky. It was a great watch!

GodShifter likes this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The car chase in the dirt field was definitely something made up for dramatic license.

8. Stupid typing on my phone.

Paul J likes this.
  9. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I watched this last night and I loved it. The big surprise for me was seeing William Sadler as Clyde Barrow's father. I think this is the best performance of his career. Great scene. I loved both lead roles and Kathy Bates was perfect for that role. I wish I'd had the pleasure of seeing the film on a giant screen. The photography is superb. I'll watch this one again for sure.

DML71, The Panda and trumpet sounds like this.
  10. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Watched this last night and enjoyed it. Like you I thought the film looked fantastic, one of the best looking films I've seen on Netflix. I particularly liked that it left Barrow and Parker as very peripheral characters and whilst it made it clear they did have a level of notoriety and misplaced hero worship the film didn't glorify them in anyway. In fact it was quite the opposite.
    Costner and Harrelson were both excellent in their roles along with a great supporting cast and also agree with you about Kathy Bates.

I think Bonnie supposedly screamed when the first bullet hit Clyde in the left temple (a well place opening shot by Deputy Oakley from his Remington Model 8) and just before everyone else opened up.

Whilst for sure there was some artistic license shown with the portrayal of Frank Hamer it righted a lot of wrongs from the 'Bonnie and Clyde' version of him as he was was portrayed by Denver Pyle in Penn's movie.

Yes, and the only really false step of the film for me. I was watching that thinking well that surely never happened and whilst I accept there will be other things that never happened (not sure that Hamer met Barrow's father as it was shown for example) they didn't throw me out of the film like the car chase segment did. It was possibly added in to give the film a bit of momentum as it is a slow burn, which I have no problem at all with the pace of the film, but perhaps they were worried the general audience would need some 'action' to liven it up.

The other bit which I did find hard to believe is that they would bring the car with Barrow and Parker's bodies still in it into the town. But of course this did happen with all the unpleasantness that surrounded it as alluded to earlier in the thread.

EVOLVIST, GodShifter and Simon A like this.
  11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I really liked the movie. As mentioned above the costumes, sets, cars, weapons were accurate.
    My mom was born in Oklahoma in 1923. When she was a girl the death car was being hauled around for viewing for a small admission price.

Phil147 and Simon A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.