The (Hopefully) Ultimate King Diamond/Mercyful Fate Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marblesmike, Nov 28, 2012.

1. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I have a slimline DBTO and there's definite tape drop out in the right channel around 2:15 of "Desecration of Souls." Been aware of it forever. And if memory serves, there's tape drop out elsewhere on the album too though not as noticeable.

nosliw likes this.
  2. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I've managed to acquire all the European Metal Blade vinyl versions of King Diamond albums from Fatal Portrait through The Eye as well as Mercyful Fate's first couple albums and their first EP. Wow, these vinyl pressings are freaking wonderful. Everyone of them are dead quiet, as quiet as any $50 MFSL LP I've ever heard! And they sound fantastic too. I made the mistake of trying to get into King/Fates at the time of the CD remasters of the early/mid 2000s and figured they weren't for me. But it really was the loud and treble heavy mastering that was ruining it for me. Now I can crank them without reaching for Bayer aspirin. I'd love for Metal Blade to reissue the later albums by King/MF.

3. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Yes. What are they waiting for ?
    The first ones sold out quite rapidly, iirc.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Barnabas Collins likes this.
  4. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

On the 2020 CDs, why didn't they include the bonus tracks "The Lake" and "Phone Call" that were on the original King Diamond CDs for Fatal Portrait and Them respectively? They're even using the same master! They're included on the bandcamp digital versions.

5. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

These recordings with the dodgy remastered edges smoothed off are Metal grail lore.

6. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Today, I came across an April 2020 interview with Mercyful Fate guitarist Hank Shermann indicating that they found the master tapes, stored in the Warner Bros. warehouses. In the case of the CD/vinyl reissues, the 2020 reissues were sourced from high resolution digital files, taken from the original analogue master tapes.

Here's the article: MERCYFUL FATE Interview

7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I don’t know what happened then but the 2020 Melissa CD is sourced from the 1989 Caroline CD. I don’t have the 2020 but word is it’s also from an old CD. The debut EP is from tape for the first time on a digital release as far as I know so it’s a new transfer.

nosliw likes this.
  8. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

I often tell the tale of when MF chickened out of supporting Manowar at Hammy O in 1984. Any MF obsessives got more details of why they were so scared that they ran from Manowar?

9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Typo in the above. I mean to say I don’t have the 2020 Oath CD

10. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

Other bands play. Manowar kill!

11. Trillmeister

... with power!

elgoodo and healter skealter like this.
  12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Depends on whom you ask. From memory... Manowar say they just didn't go down well with the Manowar audience and chickened out. Mercyful Fate say they weren't treated well, not allowed a proper soundcheck or full use of live sound equipment, etc., so they pulled out.

13. nosliw

I wonder about the LP reissues if they were sourced from the original CDs or new digitized transfers from the analogue master tapes. I haven't found a definitive answer, from what I can glean online.

EDIT: I forgot to add that it was @MrGoatimus that stated that the vinyl masters for the US LP reissues uses the same masters from their 2014 releases. The European pressings uses new masters specifically for the vinyl LP reissues.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

If anyone could post 96/24 clips from the Euro LPs, I'd be able to see if they are sourced from CD resolution. If not, then they wouldn't be from the same sources as the CDs. If they do show 44khz limitations to the source, then the suspicion they are sourced from the same old CDs as the 2020 CDs would be very high.

15. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

:laugh:

elgoodo and Trillmeister like this.
  16. Trillmeister

What a terrible shame.

Any ManÖwaRrior denying 'Fate - and vice versa - is balancing precariously 'pon the tightrope of truth - above the abyss of falsness.

Anthrax likes this.
  17. healter skealter

At the time, I wished they'd turned up - I'd bought Melissa to familiarise - and anything would've been preferable to an hour of Chinese martial music, even half an hour of screechy, cod/faux-Satanic nonsense :biglaugh:

Trillmeister likes this.
  18. Trillmeister

Chinese water music (literally acoustic torture) was what I seem to recall before my encounter during their Kings Of Metal tour in the late 80s.

It had the desired effect because when the guys emerged the venue fairly erupted; what a great show that was!

healter skealter likes this.
  19. healter skealter

Well that's probably what they used in 84, too - seemingly random rhythms, at varying volume & intensity? Water or martial, you're correct - torture it definitely was! :cussing:

Trillmeister likes this.
  20. nosliw

Roots Vinyl Guide

Not sure how many care about the link above, but there was an eBay auction around 2013 of the "Production Copy 1:1" analogue master tapes sent from Roadrunner Records to Banzai Records (BRC-2001 catalogue number) for Mercyful Fate's The Beginning release.

This is part of the description I found:

This auction consists of Four (4) Reel-To-Reel Master Tapes used for the 1988 Banzai Records release of the Mercyful Fate - "The Beginning" album (Catalog Number BRC-2001). I do not have a lot of information on these, but it appears that two of these reel-to-reel tapes may have originated from Roadrunner Records (since they have the RR 9603 catalog number and were done by "HOLLAND CUTTING"-- the Banzai catalog number "BRC-2001" is also handwritten on the boxes of these two tapes). It is my guess that Roadrunner sent two of these tapes to Banzai Records to be used for creating their own master tapes for the Canadian release of Mercyful Fate "The Beginning".

Sometimes, Banzai Records would receive metal stampers from several labels to produce their own records, instead of hiring Emile Lepine at Discques SNB to cut the record from the duplicated master tape. Thought this may be of interest to a few people here.

Anthrax likes this.
  21. fateicon

fateicon Forum Resident

I've checked the 2020 pressings of Them and The Eye against the US, APCY, and German pressings. They don't null. Sound is similar though, maybe slightly duller. The APCY pressings have been my preference since I found them some years back. If you already have an older pressing, I don't think you need these 2020 versions unless you want to complete your collection.

22. damnit

damnit Great Cd Mastering Only Please

Is the APCY of Them better sounding than the US version?

23. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

The four debut EP tracks on the 1987 "The Beginning" CD were also sourced from a master, not from vinyl I think.

nosliw and rnranimal like this.
  24. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

After checking, I can confirm that the 2020 EP CD simply uses the tracks from the 1987 Beginning CD.

25. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I am sure they never used any mastertapes for their reissues. When you ask me, they simply copied the old CD pressings...

nosliw and rnranimal like this.