The Jack Ryan thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jacob29, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Also spectacular filming locations and cinematography. Like Ep 2 when they did the parachute jump. Wow. It’s nice to some exotic locations in a series rather than so much north-east and west.

ssmith3046, FVDnz and GodShifter like this.
  2. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Enjoyed S2. All but the last few minutes which was
    very similar to last S1’s ending.

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Didn’t read it, but thank you for cloaking that comment in a spoiler tag.
    :wave:

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

S2 is off to a ferocious start!

5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

That’s kind of a spoiler-y type of comment.

6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Good season. The Bonalde lady is cute.

7. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

My apologies. I guess didn't think about that.

Brenald79 likes this.
  8. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

A few months ago we binge-watched season one and liked it a lot, looked forward to s2 a lot...and thew first episode delivered...got us back into it....but since then...a few episodes that leave me asking if I really want to keep watching...just barely into the second season and already getting into what looks like convoluted plots with some action tossed in to try keep interest up.

I'll give it another one or two episodes, but if it doesn't come up anything better I'll bail on yet another show. Yeah, I'm very picky...posting here is often time better spent than watching some of these shows - now if that's a testament to the forum or insult to the shows...or some of each, take yer pick.

GodShifter likes this.
  9. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The 'leaping from buildings with a single bound' content of season two is leaving me cold. Bring back the analyst with moves.

RayS and Bachtoven like this.
  10. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Enjoyed both Seasons and now I've legally signed up with Prime (so much for not giving Jeff Bezos my money), I'm glad I have now. Just finished The Boys and will watch that Oliver Stone look into Ukraine soon.

I hope Abbie Cornish will be back for Season 3?!

11. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Seems like another series influenced by the Marvel shows. The fight scenes involve people receiving repeated blows that would seriously injure, if not kill, people in real life. And the blows Greer took while being interrogated ... wow! Still I liked the season and will watch it again.

unclefred likes this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Season 2 was not as good, but it wasn’t bad.

Who knew “Mattice” is the “Bud Light King”?

Gotta make living, yo.

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It’s very good for the spy thriller genre. A few more good seasons and it will rank with the top all time series of the genre like MI-5, The Bureau, and Homeland.

Thomas D and GodShifter like this.
  14. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

The moment I saw that the CIA station chief in Venezuela was Doug Stamper (House of Cards) I figured the guy was up to no good. Michael Kelly really got some heavy-duty typecasting from that HOC role!

unclefred, tmtomh and GodShifter like this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought Kelly's character would turn out to be a heel. Turns out, I was wrong.

16. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

i think we have 3 episodes left. We're spacing them out rather than binging.

17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Agreed. As the series progressed, I liked it less and less for that reason.

jbmcb and unclefred like this.
  18. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I bet John LeCarre loved it.

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just finished season 2 and am thoroughly disappointed! I got so bored I began to daydream that the bad guy was Boris from Rocky & Bullwinkle! The sad thing is, it was a superior production with superior actors, was gorgeous to look at and the locales really popped. BUT.... as is SO often the case, the story, the writing, was pedestrian at best. Especially bad when Clancey's name is attached to it, this series was the most 'un-Clancey-est' project of them all, I'd generously give it a 2 outta 5.

unclefred likes this.
  20. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Agreed. Enjoyed S1 but 2 (finished it tonight) slid further into both preposterousness and repetitive action sequences as it progressed. Or at least, more so than is typical with shows like this; reminded me of 24’s weakest seasons.

21. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Just started watching this. I’m very impressed.

22. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Just finished season 1. Overall pretty well done - great acting by all involved and the directing was generally tight and focused. It had a few plot problems, and some technical issues I'll get to in spoilers:

If you are going to put Tom Clancy's name on something, it had better be pretty technically accurate and realistic, as that was what he was mainly known for.
    My issues:

1. The firefight at the end of the first episode - you had three Toyota Hilux light-duty pickup trucks vs. a .50 caliber machine gun, then a 20mm autocannon. There wouldn't have been much of the trucks left, and anyone standing behind them for cover would be dead. For reference, a .50 caliber gun will put a hole through an anvil. A 20mm shell will cut it in half. At the end of the scene the attackers hopped in their trucks and drove away - which is just silly.

2. When Yazid gets thrown into the air by the drone's missile, he would have been dead, not just a bit scarred up. That much force would have crushed his internal organs. Hanin got knocked to the ground, but she was a bit further away, so she probably would have survived, but she would have her ear drums ruptured, at the very least. This is a common conceit in moviemaking, but, again, you are putting Tom Clancy's name on it.

3. When Hanin and her daughters are at the safe house, her older daughter talks to her brother over chat. That would not have been allowed - no internet or phones at safe houses for this very reason. The GPX console she was using doesn't even have wifi by default, but that could slide - it's more ridiculous that they have a staff of guards watching the house but have open wifi to use.

4. The last episode had the most ridiculous plot holes, IMHO. So, after a biological attack on the president, anyone can just throw on a paramedic's uniform and stroll into the president's hospital? We have sophisticated facial recognition technology, Suleiman's face is undoubtedly plastered all over terrorist watch lists, but he manages to get into the USA with a fake passport? The dumbest conceit is that the president's room would be on the same HVAC system as the rest of the hospital, which is completely unsecured. As if the secret service hadn't thought of this. It's most likely there is a secure wing of the hospital specifically for high-ranking politicians. At the very least, the hospital would be crawling with secret service and Marine guards.

Most of these would be excusable as regular liberties taken with action/spy shows. However, if you are going to put Tom Clancy's name on a show, you had better come up with something more clever than, after a biological attack on the president, there is an easily executed secondary attack on a relatively unprotected hospital.

MerseyBeatle and budwhite like this.
  23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I liked Season 1. Season 2 got increasingly far-fetched and comic booky. I’m 2 and out.

24. Once three roles around, I,will still give it a try. TV seasons are like the weather a little different every year. At least watch the first episode.

RayS likes this.
  25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Not sure why, given I've never read the books and haven't enjoyed any of the film adaptations that I've seen but I just watched episode one of series one and had a whale of a time. It's rare to have an action show that's not completely knuckleheaded.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Atmospheric likes this.