The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

yes, I know the Frank Foster LP has the lowest Mainstream catalogue number but it wasn't even yet recorded when Barry Miles - White Heat was released :)
    Fwiw, Ruby's Art Department did Frank Fosters cover as well.
    Point is though that much about BYG is vague! And from what I've read/heard "shady" as well.

That's definitely Moki Cherry artwork (the painting) and she recieves credit only for that. She doesn't recieve any other "design" credit on the following Actuel releases. I thought of Bisceglia as well, but it's never stated explicitly. Coupled with the fact that BYG became defunct, their design would have been easy to, um, appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2019
    AxiomAcoustics and Yesternow like this.
  2. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Jazz album covers... That's a great subject!

Does anyone have an original mainstream album?

They use those frames on top of artists photos. I want to know if the entire photo was available on the original albums.

There are reissues and CDs, but I'm not sure about the original artwork.

Example of a favorite of mine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@Marzz, hope you don't with the Jazz beat... and conversation :)

3. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

@Yesternow I gotta ask if you don't mind - Curious why you think that I'd mind about the conversation? I love the conversation part and there's not enough here!! Anyway, it's not my thread, heck I don't think there is a "thread starter" here. I only post here as I usually don't have anything to say on the other one (or much time to frequent both), plus I started here when I joined SHF and found some very knowledgeable folk here too :thumbsup: (not that they say much!!)
    I can't say for anybody else but I find it hard to imagine that any Jazz Beat regulars would mind conversation - but again I can only speak for myself.
    I just assumed that Lonson started the other thread so they could converse about things other than jazz. I actually thought it was a great idea and even posted there in the beginning.
    The Jazz thread splits had nothing to do with me :sweating:

Oh, Jazz album covers. Great idea... get back to you soon

4. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Do you have an idea about how the Foster LP got a lower catalogue number, if it wasn't yet recorded when White Heat was released?

I suspect that Discogs just has the 1971 release date wrong. Although White Heat was recorded in 1971, other discographies indicate that it came out in 1972. Amazon lists a 1972 copyright.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  5. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Just bought an original copy of Sonny Rollins Freedom Suite.
    Almost ruined, almost for free.

Cleaned it up and about half of it sounds ok.

Bobby Buckshot and Marzz like this.
  6. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Oh yes, you could very well be right and it wouldn't be the first time for Discogs! Let me back to you later (when I have much more time tonight) as now I'm very curious where I read that - it was more than one source too.

7. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Inspired by the conversation about Mr. Brötzmann on the other thread...

Peter Brötzmann and Hamid Drake - The Dried Rat-Dog (1994)
    Peter Brötzmann (tarogato, e-flat clarinet, alto & tenor sax).
    Hamid Drake (drums, tablas, frame drums).

(Okka Disk CD)
    [​IMG]

8. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

At least the price was good! Could have paid a lot more and gotten less! ;)
    How do you like that half?

tug_of_war likes this.
  9. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

It sounds good considering how bad it looks. The poor record has seen better days.
    But yes, I was very lucky to find it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Marzz likes this.
  10. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

What a line-up, ehh?

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Golden Boy
    Colpix (1963)
    TOCJ 50063
    Jazz 999 Best & More Series

Drums – Art Blakey
    French Horn – Julius Watkins
    Piano – Cedar Walton
    Tenor Saxophone – Wayne Shorter
    Baritone Saxophone – Charlie Davis
    Alto Saxophone – James Spaulding
    Trombone – Curtis Fuller
    Trumpet – Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan
    Tuba – Bill Barber
    Bass – Reggie Workman

[​IMG]

11. [​IMG]

And Then They Wrote - Teddy Wilson Trio (Sony) CD

Teddy Wilson Plays the Great Songs Composed by the Great Jazz Pianists

Recorded 1959. Original LP released 1960. CD edition reissued in Japan as part of Sony's Jazz Collection 1000 series.

Clocking in at round about 34 minutes Teddy & his trio rework 12 well known Jazz compositions including a fine version of Stan Kenton's 'Artistry In Rhythm'.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Berthold, mktracy, MagicAlex and 3 others like this.
  12. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I guess he didn't and still doesn't get the credit he deserves for the simple fact that he didn't record (enough) as a leader on the hip Jazz labels in the 60's. Even Sam Rivers managed to get his share of recognition with his wonderful Blue Note outings, but somehow Coleman always played 'second fiddle' behind everyone else if you will, rendering publics perception of him to a mere sideman status, while acknowledging his talent on sax but unaware of his compositional ideas.

13. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I have the ORG pressing of Silent Tongues. It’s great.

[​IMG]

14. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

George Coleman is still active too, at least when I last saw him circa 2016-2017. He put on a string of shows at Smoke Jazz club in Harlem. He was great.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  15. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Meant to say I had both ORG pressings of Silent Tongues and Tutankhamun. Posting from iPhone, image didn’t link. Fixed.

[​IMG]

16. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Some months ago I was about to ask everyone what about getting both threads again into a big jazz community. Thankfully I spent some time thinking about it and concluded it was a bad idea.

They complement each other. People shouldn’t have any problems with posting in any of the threads.

A conversation about jazz questions makes sense in both threads. But I love the fact that a jazz subject can lead into a conversation about something not related to jazz in the jazz&con thread.
    Also the fact that jazz heads post other albums that are not jazz is great.

But I also find big pleasure in reading the “jazz beat” and getting all the details about rare records that I and don’t see people mentioning anywhere else.

So, Mark, as I told you thru PM: I was just teasing you. I know that you don’t impose rules, and I know that you also enjoy a good conversation and (as seen with the mainstream records subject) you’re whiling to share knowledge.

I like both threads as they are. Will read them until I’m 100 years old :righton:

Lonson, jay.dee, Marzz and 1 other person like this.
  17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Columbia Legacy US Press CXK-66955) 1995 .... recorded"live" December 22nd + 23rd, 1965 @ The Plugged Nickel Chicago .... Miles Davis (tp) + Wayne Shorter (ts) + Herbie Hancock (p) + Ron Carter (b) + Tony Williams (dr) .... thereof the superb third set from December 23rd - timeless music indeed .... btw still have for sentimental reason the original Sony Music SRCS 5766~5772 Box from 1992

[​IMG]

with some of the tracks being edited - outstanding sound though ....

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The original Jazz Beat thread was started by member @Bogey way back in 2010. Lonson started his Jazz&Conversation thread for reasons explained in his first post - see there.

19. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Have either of you seen the ORG Roland Hanna Perugia Live At Montreux 74 under the Freedom labelreissue from 2018? Awesome performance (my first exposure to Roland Hanna) and very well curated by ORG for what I think was $30.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  20. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

David Murray Quartet - Shakill's II

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

After my recent forays into Murray's music this looks like a must buy - how is it?

22. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

ROY BROOKS / BEAT / WORKSHOP JAZZ / 1964 / US STEREO FIRST PRESSING WS 220

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FULL SIZE PICTURES
    https://s1.shotroom.com/img/181225/9u5fi_o.jpg
    https://s1.shotroom.com/img/181225/uDeya_o.jpg
    https://s1.shotroom.com/img/181225/UKqnU_o.jpg

This album has been an instant favorite of mine since the first time I listened to it - over streaming services that is. There is no CD apart from a Fresh Sound reissue (made from a needle drop) and it's never been reissued on vinyl. Imagine how glad I was to find a NM copy over christmas at my favorite record store for less than half of what I would have paid, had I won one of the (rarely seen) auctions of totally beat up copies. I bet no one can resist the groove of "Soulin", a real hit. This is basically the Horace Silver Quintet sans Horace Silver, hence the slightly less latin and more "dry" hard bop presentation. I sincerely hope this gets reissued on CD and LP.

23. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Nice find. And you are good at sleeve photos :)

Marzz likes this.
  24. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Now I have that Carl Douglas song stuck in my head. dammit! :D

NP: Lester Bowie - Fast Last! (1974)
    Lester Bowie (trumpet, flugelhorn), Julius Hemphill (alto sax), John Hicks (piano), John Stubblefield (tenor sax), Cecil McBee (bass), Phillip Wilson or Jerome Cooper or Charles Shaw (drums), Bob Stewart (tuba), Joseph Bowie (trombone).

(Muse)

[​IMG]

25. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Haven’t heard that pressing unfortunately.