The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Blue Note Universal Japan UCCQ-5059 SHM-CD) 2015 .... recorded on March 7 th + October 2nd, 1963 @ Van Gelder Studio Englewood Cliffs .... Hank Mobley (ts) + Lee Morgan (tp) + Andrew Hill (p) + John Ore (b) + Philly Joe Jones (dr) and on two more tracks Hank Mobley (ts) + Donald Byrd (tp) + Herbie Hancock (p) + Butch Warren (b) + Philly Joe Jones (dr) .... both sessions (the October 2nd date assembled here completely) stand for the best of Hank Mobley in the 60`s .... he is nothing short of superb throughout but for me the session with Andrew Hill has a slidge edge - probably nitpicking though .... must admit, that re-listening to Hank Mobley`s euvre still is an ear-opening experience even after - all these years ....

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  2. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

....................................... [​IMG]
    ´

MagicAlex, Berthold, AaronW and 9 others like this.
  3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Very nice record! I've got this on CD and just love the music.

4. Bobby Buckshot

[​IMG]

Bill Jennings With Jack Mc. Duff* ‎– Glide On
    Label:
    Prestige ‎– 7177, Prestige ‎– PRLP 7177
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Mono
    US
    Released:
    Genre:
    Jazz
    Style:
    Soul-Jazz

I searched this particular JB thread for Bill Jennings and didn't find any prior post about him. I recently stumbled across this record while on YT and streamed it. Jennings is a guitar man and he's with Jack McDuff, Wendell Marshall, Alvin Johnson & Al Jennings (who's on both vibes and guitar as well). From these speakers, the vibes sound particularly well recorded in this RVG session - very resonant which struck me at first listen. I'd like to get a hold of this LP one day - doesn't look like any CD pressings were done, nor any cassettes (well I'm now seeing where Fresh Sounds put something out on CD :sigh:). There's a lot of soul jazz here as well as blues (I posted in this over in a thread dedicated to jazz/blues hybrids as well). I'm guessing there's some reason why Jennings has slipped through the cracks but I don't know. Regardless, I think this is definitely worth a listen.

5. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Blue Note Audio Wave XRCD24 AWMXR-0013) .... recorded March 18th, 1961 .... Stanley Turrentine (ts) + Tommy Turrentine (tp) + Horace Parlan (p) + George Tucker (b) + Al Harewood (dr) .... back then probably dismissed as regular early 60`s Blue Note session and later evolved to (at least) minor classic status .... the Turrentine bros as delicate horn section (btw an undeniable showcase for Tommy Turrentine) and the Horace Parlan Trio a rhythm section of selfless class .... another fabulous Alan Yoshida mastered XRCD ....

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  6. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I had a very lucky day today. All original pressings from a single collector who took care of these as if his life depended on it. I‘ll be back with some detailed photos in a bit.

[​IMG]

7. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Last night I played two albums in a row and although they are totally different kinds of jazz I heard a strong connection between them. Maybe it was just how I cued them up that way?

Miles Davis- ESP
    Albert Ayler and gang- New York Eye and Ear control

Both bands are very texture oriented imo. On ESP there are moments when suddenly it's just bass and piano, and then everyone is playing, going from high dynamics to a whisper and back seemingly on the turn of a dime. One of the hallmarks of the second quintet.

NY eye and ear control is the same, except it's free playing. The listening is so focused between the band- Suddenly it gets very quiet with only one horn and drums playing and then with a couple loud fast notes it whips the group up and everyone is playing at once, until the next inspiration to quiet down to a whisper, w some folks just laying out completely.

Sorry for the long post but I was just thinking how free improv does have many "formal" elements for the ear to hold on to, even if they're not written on a page first. These albums are both streamable if you want see what they might have in common for you as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Wow. :love:

:::::::deep bow:::::::

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Looks great, they're all excellent albums.

10. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

11. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Bobby, the good news is that that album actually was issued on CD paired with (appropriately) the only other Prestige session Jennings made as leader (or co-leader with McDuff) called "Enough Said!" It was part of Fantasys so called "Legends of Acid Jazz" series.
    Bill Jennings / Jack McDuff* - Glide On

It does seem to be expensive now (these were actually cheap down here!) but I have seen it online recently for around $15. Personally I'd ignore the Fresh Sounds release and hunt down a cheaper version of this one instead. Mastered by Joe Tarantino in 1999 :thumbsup:.
    Oh, and I suspect you have already done so but if not, check out the Bill Jennings recordings with Willis Jackson, some of them also available in the "Legends of Acid Jazz" series.
    Nice and greasy!! :cool:

12. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Almost forgot, haven't had much time to listen to Jazz lately but I have been playing some Mose Allison (on the Prestige label) in the car, inspired by the posts earlier by @Barolojoe. Great pics of the LPs btw :thumbsup:

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  13. Bobby Buckshot

Ah, Legends of Acid Jazz to the rescue again! Thanks for the tip! :cheers:

I'll take whatever helps me skip over those Fresh Sounds collections.

Marzz likes this.
  14. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Horace Silver Quintet - Finger Poppin'. With Blue Mitchell, Junior Cook, Louis Hayes and Gene Taylor. Hard bop at its finest.

[​IMG]

15. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

......................... [​IMG] .......... [​IMG]
    ´

16. From the 20 CD box Jazz from America On Disques Vogue (Sony Music/Legacy)

CD3 - a disc that has it's ups and downs!

[​IMG]

Tracks 1-9 Art Tatum from Gene Norman's Just Jazz - Art Tatum (10" Vogue) 1949
    *Not the best sounding live recording.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tracks 10-11 Gene Norman's Just Jazz Vol. 3 (10" Modern) 1947
    with - Howard McGhee / Ernie Royal (trumpet), Wardell Gray / Vido Musso (Tenor Sax), Arnold Ross (piano), Barney Kessel (guitar), Harry Babasin (double bass), Don Lamond (drums)
    *I love these two very cool sounding extended Jams. They have a playing time of just over 25 minutes.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tracks 12-21
    Frank Bull & Gene Norman's Blues Jubilee (Various - 7" Modern | 7" Jazz-Disques | 7" Discovery) 1947-1950

12-15 - Pete Johnson (piano), Barney Kessel (guitar), Harry Babasin (double bass), Don Lamond (drums)

*Great for me to hear some swingin' boogie woogie for a change!

16-17 -Jimmy Witherspoon (vocal), Don Hill (alto sax), Gene Gilbeaux (piano), Herman Washington (double bass), Henri Green (drums)
    *The variety of styles continues with these two live Blues pieces recorded at different concerts, the first of which is a great club recording. The second was recorded in a much bigger venue and is less impressive. Both sessions were originally released on Modern.

18-21 - Helen Humes (vocal), Charles Gillum (trumpet), Jackie Kelso (alto sax), Jimmy Jackson (tenor sax), Camille Howard (piano), [possibly Jimmy Rogers (guitar)], Lawrence Kato / Dallas Bartley (double bass), Ray Milton (drums)
    *I don't really care for these sessions - all recorded in a venue that removed any possibility of getting an intimate sound.

17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Time Audio Fidelity AFZ-007 Hybrid SACD) 2003 .... recorded January 19th, 1960 @ Capitol Studios, New York .... Tommy Turrentine (tp) + Stanley Turrentine (ts) + Julian Priester (tb) + Horace Parlan (p) +Bob Boswell (b) + Max Roach (dr) .... actually a Max Roach Sextet recording under Tommy Turrentine`s nominal lead .... this was a powerful unit and both the leader and trombone player Julian Priester shine .... btw great mastering by a certain Mr. Steve Hofmann ....

18. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Blue Note Universal Japan "Blue Note Masterworks" UCCQ-5024 SHM-CD) 2014 .... recorded on March 1st, 1962 .... Ike Quebec (ts) + Grant Green (g) + Sonny Clark (p) + Sam Jones (b) + Louis Hayes (dr) .... testament to the late "velvety toned" Ike Quebec, who excels here also in a more bop oriented context .... Sonny Clark - as usual great - and the Sam Jones/Louis Hays combo dance with resilient groove .... leaves me wondering why this remained unissued until 1985 ....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  19. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue King Records Japan "Blue Note Masterpiece Selection 150" GXK-8121) 1979 .... recorded July 29th and August 7th, 1955 + April 19th, 1956 .... Herbie Nichols (p) + Al McKibbon/Teddy Kotick (b) + Max Roach (dr) .... indispensable ....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    MagicAlex, Berthold, Mugrug12 and 9 others like this.
  20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Nice. :righton:

21. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

22. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

............................ [​IMG]
    ´

Berthold, Starwanderer, Marzz and 2 others like this.
  23. Bobby Buckshot

Quality records and hilarious emojis!

24. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

I've heard and read a lot about Braxton's music, but "nice" never figured into it. :laugh:

But seriously, always great to see someone discovering his music, and what a massve and some would say impenetrable oeuvre he has. One of those artists that, if asked by a Jazz fan to turn them on to him, I could just as easily drive them out of the romm as I could transfix them for hours.

25. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

And s[eaking of Braxton, been in a duet mood for a few days. Played this several times yesterday.

Ran Blake & Anthony Braxton: A Memory of Vienna

Ran Blake: Piano
    Anthony Braxton: Alto Saxophone (yes, just alto)

A beautufilly sympatico performance and recording from November, 11, 1988 at Haus der Begegnung, Mariahilf, Vienna by Peter Pfister. An incredibly engaging set of "standards" recorded with almost no preparation in a short session during extra time left from a previous Blake session. Brax stopped by to check the scene, Pfister made the suggestion, Brax and Blake discussed some common tunes and tape was rolled. And the results are magnificent. You can hear them listening to each other, responding in nano-subdivisions of time. The sonics are front-row key pads, breath, pedals on wood floor. You are there. Plenty of solo passages, plenty of duet harmonious amazement. My wife called it simply "beautiful". If you don;t think you like Braxton, check this. If you've never heard the great Blake and his amalgam of American Jazz + Euro Classicism check this. And check the setlist.

1 'Round Midnight Written-By – Hanighen*, Williams*, Monk*
    11:06
    2 Yardbird Suite Written-By – Charlie Parker
    5:38
    3 You Go To My Head Written-By – Gillespie*, Coots*
    7:57
    4 Just Friends Written-By – Klenner*, Lewis*
    6:24
    5 Alone Together Written-By – Dietz-Schwartz*
    4:59
    6 Four Written-By – Miles Davis
    4:53