The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Prestige US Press Blue Label Stereo PRST 7295) 1964 .... recorded December 3rd, 1963 @ Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs .... Booker Ervin (ts) + Jaki Byard (p) + Richard Davis (b) + Alan Dawson (dr) .... to me a perfect hard bop with edges session with his working rhythm section (Alan Dawson !!) pushing tenorsax ace Booker Ervin even further .... based on the countless releases on the Prestige label it still leaves me wondering why Byard + Davis + Dawson were not awarded a trio recording session .... after a long search I finally obtained some years ago a mint, unwarped and dead silent Prestige Blue Label copy which always manages to make my heart beat faster .... fantastic music indeed ....

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Records Japan "Blue Note Masterpiece Selection 150" GXK-8126) 1979 .... recorded November 6th, 1960 @ Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs .... Freddie Hubbard (tp) + Hank Mobley (ts) + McCoy Tyner (p) + Paul Chambers (b) + Philly Joe Jones (dr) .... Freddie Hubbard in his early prime (f.i on both Kenny Dorham compositions aka "Asiatic Raes" and "Karioka" his solo work is sensational) and Hank Mobley demonstrates his capabilities inside out .... simply superb music ....

MagicAlex, vanhooserd, rxcory and 9 others like this.
  3. LinnsondekLP

LinnsondekLP Forum Resident

Inspired to spin some 'Jug'. First from 1957 on Prestige 7110 ('84 OJC-129 repress)
    'Jamming in Hi-Fi With Gene Ammons'
    [​IMG]

MagicAlex, rxcory and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Again, can't see the images you're posting...

rxcory, fingerpoppin and Fastnbulbous like this.
  5. A british leader for a change with US guests and a strong rhythm section
    Horace Parlan (p) / George Duvivier (b) / Dave Bailey (dr) - Ⓒ & Ⓟ Sony Music Entertaim,ment Inc. 19956

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note Liberty Blue White Stereo BST-84151) 1966 .... recorded November 8th, 1963 @ Van Gelder Studio Englewood Cliffs.... Joe Henderson (ts) + Andrew Hill (p) +Richard Davis (b) + Roy Haynes (dr) .... do own numerous editions of this glorious Andrew Hill session for Blue Note and decided to give the Liberty Press a spin .... regardless of the version this Blue Note release is a true classic ....

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  7. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

J.A.W. and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know that forum and I'm not going to register there. I wish people would post images everyone can see, not just members of another forum.

9. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Allmusic.com and Discogs.com are where I grab album cover shots for this forum. Never had a problem with either site's gifs.

10. LinnsondekLP

LinnsondekLP Forum Resident

More Jug. From 1960 Prestige PRLP-7180
    'Boss Tenor' ('87 OJC-297 repress)

Followed by 1961 Prestige PR-7208
    'Up Tight!'

11. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

This is my favorite album of his but I've never been able to find a copy worth keeping. It's being reissued all analog by blue note later this year so maybe I'll finally get a fighting chance!

Roy Haynes puts it over the top for me...

12. Re pictures:
    Yes the DISCOGS are easy to copy but the quality is sometimes inferior I csan say as formerr member. I scan my covers myself with "Paintshop Pro" and process them with "Photoshop Elements Editor".

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  13. [​IMG]

SOUL BROTHERS - MILT JACKSON & RAY CHARLES (Atlantic)
    +
    SOUL MEETING - RAY CHARLES & MILT JACKSON (Atlantic)

2CD edition issued issued in 1989 on Atlantic Jazz.

Sessions recorded 1957 & 1958

This is a slightly confusing release because it is not, as you would expect, a straight re-issue of these two great instrumental albums. Atlantic have taken all tracks from both original LPs, mixed them together and presented them in a totally rearranged running order, including adding two 'bonus' tracks into the new sequencing - but it all hangs together nicely, and this 2CD release (that includes 8 page booklet) is a good opportunity to get hold of all these tasty sounding sessions, plus bonus tracks, all in one go.

I suspect the two bonus tracks, 'The Genius After Hours' (5.22) & 'Charlesville' (4.53), are both the same takes that were issued on the Ray Charles Atlantic LP The Genius After Hours.

14. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

New records, courtesy of @Parkertown ... all originals (except the Music Matters 45 of Grant Green, of course), all in exceptional condition for their age. Detailed pics in coming soon!

[​IMG]

MagicAlex, Cactus Bob, SJR and 7 others like this.
  15. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

[​IMG]

Can you hear the passion and the fire? Yes, you can listen to Gato Barbieri

16. Skeeter Best is credited with guitar on all tracks that do not feature Kenny Burrell and he sounds very competent.

The sleeve notes state that on the track 'Bags Guitar Blues' Milt Jackson plays vibraharp, piano or guitar. I suppose this comment just adds to the other general confusion surrounding this release.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  17. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Nice haul! Silver’s Serenade gets a lot of play at my house. Kind of sad that one hasn’t received any audiophile love. At least not yet anyway. Enjoy, and keep us posted with your thoughts.

cds23 likes this.
  18. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

Yep I’m waiting for this one later this year too!

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This is being reissued in Japan on cd as well.

ausgraeme likes this.
  20. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

That’s great! Waiting for the Blue Note reissue on vinyl later this year.

21. Thanks for the Info. Re Skeeter Best I made an error. He was indeed a guitar player. Have him indeed on some swing recordings.
    Re Milt Jackson: as many vibes player they play occasionally piano (see Terry Gibbs for example) because the keybord is somewhat similar but never heard Milt Jackson played guitar. Probably someone else has a source for this Information.
    W.

22. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Some good ones..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]