The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

4. [​IMG]

Study In Brown CLIFFORD BROWN AND MAX ROACH (EmArcy) CD
    with
    Clifford Brown (trumpet), Max Roach (drums), Harold Land (tenor sax), George Morrow (bass), Richie Powell (piano).
    EmArcy CD edition first issued by PolyGram in 1985.
    Tracks recorded over three sessions - February, 1955.

5. [​IMG]

THELONIOUS MONK TRIO (Prestige/RVG Remasters) CD
    with - Thelonious Monk (piano), Gary Mapp / Percy Heath (bass), Art Blakey / Max Roach (drums)
    10 pices of Monk magic from 1952 (8 tracks) and 1954 (2 tracks)
    24-bit CD remastered by RVG in 2007

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  6. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Columbia Legacy Austrian Press CK-65187) 1997 .... recorded September 15th, 1961 @ Paris France .... Bud Powell (p) + Pierre Michelot (b) + Kenny Clarke (dr) .... beautiful Cannonball Adderley produced homage to the music of Thelonious Monk .... although late(er) in his career and fighting his demons Bud Powell is in impressive form here .... the well-attuned Piere Michelot + Kenny Clarke rhythm backbone is priceless .... btw excellent sounding Legacy release ....

7. Here is some finnish jazz for the day

Suomen Big Band Yhdistrys Ry SBBY CD 1 "Sinivalkoiset Tanssiaiset" - recorded 1983 - 1992

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mugrug12, caio vaz and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  8. and Jouni Kosimäki and his big band

Joko Records Joko CD 001 from 1989

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

caio vaz, Soulpope and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  9. [​IMG]

THE HAWK SWINGS COLEMAN HAWKINS (Boplicity/Crown) CD
    with -
    Coleman Hawkins (tenor), Thad Jones (trumpet), George Duvivier (bass), Eddie Costa (piano & vibes), Osie Johnson (drums).

Originally issued in 1961 on Crown LP 224. "Classic New York session from the pioneer of jazz saxophone". Remastered from original tapes by Nick Robbins.

CD re-issued in digipak with 8 page booklet. Marketed and distributed by Ace Records (UK). Playing time is just under 33 minutes.

10. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Tal farlow- Tal, Br 50s
    [​IMG]

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

[​IMG]

Mary Halvorson :: guitar
    Susan Alcorn :: pedal steel guitar
    Jonathan Finlayson :: trumpet
    Jon Irabagon :: alto saxophone
    Ingrid Laubrock :: tenor saxophone
    Jacob Garchik :: trombone
    John Hébert :: bass
    Ches Smith :: drums

12. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Record Japan "Blue Note Masterpiece Selection 150" GXK-8074) 1978 .... recorded May 24th, 1958 @ Van Gelder Studio Hackensack .... Bud Powell (p) + Sam Jones (b) + Philly Joe Jones (dr) .... more Bud Powell in my house .... this seems to me the entrance to his very last career phase, where he got rid (or had to get rid ?) of his overwhelming virtuosity and instead emotions finally took over .... his touching performance is augmented by soulful Sam Jones and energetic Philly Joe Jones .... dependable King Records Japan vinyl beauty ....

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  13. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CHICO HAMILTON With PAUL HORN (Boplicity/Crown) CD
    An 8 track compilation dated 1963 with a playing time just under 32 minutes. The CD was remastered by Nick Robbins and issued in a digipak that includes an 8 page booklet

The first four tracks most likely feature George Duvivier (bass) and either Jim Hall or Howard Roberts on guitar. The next four tracks cover a "revelatory meeting of Jazz with Classical music" from sessions made for an album by Fred Katz and Chico Hamilton Quintet with Paul Horn. These tracks feature guitarist John Pisano with bassist Carson Smith and were included, along with other selections on the Pacific Jazz LP ZEN

[​IMG]
    ZEN The Music Of Fred Katz - Fred Katz with Paul Horn and the Chico Hamilton Quartet

This is intriguing music!

14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Record Japan GXK-8052) 1978 .... recorded May 23rd, 1963 @ CBS Studios Paris .... obviously being still on a (late) Bud Powell binge and this gem features him - supported superbly by Pierre Michelot (b) + Kenny Clarke (dr) - with Dexter Gordon in cracking form .... for me this platter stands for what a great jazz session is all about .... another King Record Japan vinyl beauty from the late 70`s ....

15. Europa Jazz EJ-1031 Benny Goodman Big Band live - recorded 1958

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fastnbulbous, jbg and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  16. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD SteepleChase Eurpe Press SCCD-31147) 1989 .... recorded December 5th, 1980 .... Teddy Edwards (ts) + Kenny Drew (p) + Jesper Lundgaard (b) + Billy Hart (dr) .... underrated Teddy Edwards`s career had in the late 70`s sort of a well deserved resurrection and this excellent quartet date is proof of the facts .... great to hear Kenny Drew in excellent shape and the rhythm backbone Jesper Lundgaard + Billy Hart performs spot on .... warmly recommended ...

jbg, smilin ed, dZp and 3 others like this.
  17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note Blue White Label Liberty Press Stereo BST-84160) 1967 .... recorded December 13th, 1963 @ Van Gelder Studio Englewood Cliffs .... Andrew Hill (p) + Richard Davis (b) + Eddie Khan (b) + Roy Haynes (dr) .... still rather unsung Blue Note outing by Andrew Hill with the bassist tandem supplying dense rhythm structures - btw Richard Davis seems to solo universally in blind understanding with Andrew Hill - and the always innovative Roy Haynes on drums .... great sounding Blue Note Liberty vinyl edition ....

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Cactus Bob, Starwanderer, jbg and 8 others like this.
  20. [​IMG]

v[​IMG]

AFRIQUE - Count Basie & his orchestra (BGP/Flying Dutchman) CD
    Recorded 1970. Arranged and conducted by Oliver Nelson
    The LP was originally issued in 1971 on Flying Dutchman and has been re-issued on LP/CD on a number of different labels over the years.
    "The Orchestra deliver one of their finest works".
    This CD (distributed by Ace) was remastered by Nick Robbins and sounds very good.
    I like everything about this great album and only wish I had bought a copy of it much sooner!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    danasgoodstuff, jbg, Soulpope and 2 others like this.
  21. From the CamJazz MAL WALDRON 11 CD Box set

[​IMG]

THE COMPLETE REMASTERED RECORDINGS ON BLACK LION AND SOUL NOTE (Volume 2)

CD 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UP AND DOWN - CHICO FREEMAN | MAL WALDRON FEATURING TIZIANA GHIGLIONI (Black Saint) CD
    with
    Chico Freeman (Tenor & Soprano Sax, Bass Clarinet), Mal Waldron (Piano), Tiziana Ghiglioni (Vocal), Ricky Knauer (Bass)

"The interplay between Freeman and Waldron, who is one of the great jazz colourists, is consistently fascinating" (source: The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD - Eighth Edition).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  22. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Sonny Clark, Art Taylor, Curtis Fuller, Donald Byrd, John Coltrane, Paul Chambers – Sonny's Crib (1957)

[​IMG]

23. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Herbie Hancock, Chuck Israels, Donald Byrd, Grachan Moncur III, Grant Green, Hank Mobley, Tony Williams – My Point of View (1963)

[​IMG]

AaronW, Starwanderer, jbg and 11 others like this.
  24. From the CamJazz MAL WALDRON 11 CD Box set THE COMPLETE REMASTERED RECORDINGS ON BLACK LION AND SOUL NOTE (Volume 2)
    Disc 2
    [​IMG]

UPDATE - MAL WALDRON (Soul Note) CD
    Mal Waldron (piano). Recorded March 10, 1986 at Barigozzi studio, Milano.
    A challenging first listen, but one I have enjoyed and look forward to hearing again.

Disc 3
    [​IMG]

Sometimes I'm Blue - KIM PARKER (Soul Note) CD
    with
    Kim Parker (vocal), Mal Waldron (piano), Isla Eckinger (bass), Ed Thigpen (drums)
    Recorded May 28 and 29, 1985 at Barigozzi Studio, Milano.
    I'm usually hard to please when it comes to vocalists, but oh dear, the singing on this record is not for me and I doubt if I will ever listen to it again. On a more positive note the backing musicians are in good form throughout.

jbg, fingerpoppin and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  25. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Duke Pearson - Merry Ole Soul
    Via Mosaic Select 08: Duke Pearson- Disc 3 Session (H)
    Duke Pearson, piano & celeste; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Mickey Roker, drums; Airto Moreira, percussion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019