The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

2. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

3. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

4. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

5. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

6. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

7. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I just bought the Blue Note Covers album book . It’s really beautiful especially since I don’t have vinyl covers to look at. Highly recommended.

8. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

What’s the title?

9. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

The Cover Art Of Blue Note Records

10. beatboy1975

beatboy1975 Amateur Appreciator

One of the few trombonists who recorded as a leader for Blue Note, and one of the very best. Joyful, engaging, bluesy, swinging hard bop, with a couple of thoughtfully played standards. This album always scratches my itch, no matter my mood. Released January 1959:

[​IMG]

Lonson, fingerpoppin, ultron9 and 5 others like this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. parman

parman Music Junkie

I saw these at a local book store, fantastic!

beatboy1975 likes this.
  13. beatboy1975

beatboy1975 Amateur Appreciator

Reid Miles was an absolute genius. I would pay for a book of his handwritten shopping lists and telephone message notes.

14. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I’m sure I have the last one, not sure about the first two.

15. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

Great sounding lp from Bill Frisell, very quiet pressing from Blue Note too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mwheelerk and beatboy1975 like this.
  16. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

DAVID DURRAH FEATURING CALVIN KEYS | ANGELIC STREAMS | 1975 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING ON QUADROPHONIC SOUND MODULE 2LP PURPLE VINYL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

David Durrah is probably best known for his co-leadership (next to Doug Hammond) on "Reflections In The Sea Of Nurnen" from 1975 on the Tribe label. This is and will probably remain the most sought after Tribe LP. But Durrah was even more active on the Black Jazz label. He contributed as a composer and sidemen on records such as "The Skipper At Home" by Henry Franklin or Calvin Keys second outing "Proceed With Caution". Speaking of Calvin Keys: he is prominently featured on this record called "Angelic Stream", released in 2009 for the first time on LP and CD. Recorded in 1975, it raises the question why non of the private labels picked up this recording for release. The record certainly doesn't lack quality. The opener and title track "Angelic Streams" is one the best Deep Jazz tracks I've ever heard. It is hard to put into words, so before I embarrass myself, I'd rather you listen to the video below. You will notice that the recording sounds much drier than 70's soul jazz recordings in general. There is practically no reverb, probably because the recording and mixing engineers wanted to focus on the rhythm section. Therefore it sounds almost like it was recorded yesterday (at least to my ears).

Unfortunaltey this 2LP (with Side D being blank) was only pressed in an edition of 1000 copies - it is extremely hard to come by nowadays. CDs are still available, at least in the used bins. This should be reissued as soon as possible.

frightwigwam and fingerpoppin like this.
  17. Here's a great title that was posted upthread just the other day.
    [​IMG]

introducing JOHNNY GRIFFIN (Blue Note) UHQCD

Bass – Curly Russell / Drums – Max Roach / Piano – Wynton Kelly / Tenor Saxophone – Johnny Griffin

Recorded 1956. Introducing Johnny Griffin is aka CHICAGO CALLING (on the back of the sleeve)

The UHQCD (which includes 2 extra tracks not on LP edition) was issued in Japan 2019 in the Blue Note 80 Works series.

A fine session from Johnny & band!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    SJR, Rycherocker634, Shimrod and 6 others like this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm not sure, but isn't the last one a "reissue" of the first two combined?

19. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

From 1960, it features a very young Larry Young and Thornel Schwartz (g), who played with Jimmy Smith, among others.

beatboy1975 and John Fell like this.
  20. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I believe so. Same authors.

Bill007 likes this.
  21. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

I play this record frequently.

beatboy1975 likes this.
  22. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I just looked at the book ( blue and white cover) and it does seem to be a UK published combination of 2 prior volumes.

23. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I’m not familiar with this artist so I sampled this record. I really like his tone but too dissonant a record for my tastes. Is there an album that he recorded that was less so and did he ever record a record of standards?

24. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Check out his album Rambler. It's not dissonant and has some good grooving songs on it.

He did a record of standards with Fred Hersch called Songs We Know. It's a duet setting however.

Bill007 likes this.
  25. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

He did cover Monk's Epistrophy on his album of the same name. A little less dissonant but still trippy Music Is which are all original compositions is quite enjoyable. Earlier in his career was Nashville heavily country flavored with a full accompanyment is very beautiful with a cover of End of the World. Also Small Town with a cover of Gold Finger.

Bill007 likes this.