The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

...followed by:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorcerer, fingerpoppin and John Fell like this.
  2. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

3. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Andrew Hill’s first album since his last Blue Note recording is 1970. This one from 1974:

[​IMG]

Cervelo, kmusic, Sorcerer and 2 others like this.
  4. Shimrod

Shimrod Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    the new reissue in SHM cd.

kmusic and fingerpoppin like this.
  5. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

MARION BROWN | MUSIQUE DU FILM DE MARCEL CAMUS _ LE TEMPS FOU | POLYDOR_PRIVILEGE | 1969 |FRENCH FIRST STEREO PRESSING 658 142 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marion Brown's rarest record and one of his finest is a soundtrack for Marcel Camus' film "Le Temps Fou" ("Crazy Time" or "Crazy Weather"). The music heard on this record is mostly free improvised Jazz, but on one track, "Boat Rock", Brown unleashes a Free Funk monster that should have made him a rich man were we living in a just world, except we're not. Can't get enough of this music and the gorgeous cover, which is as psychedelic as a Jazz cover probably gets, but in my list of favourite Marion Brown albums, his debut still ranks on first place. This has recently been reissued by "Le Très Jazz Club" from France with original artwork (even used a flipback construction as found on the original pressing) and from what I read it also sounds good.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  6. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

7. cds23

THE JOE MCPHEE QUARTET | UNDERGROUND RAILROAD | CJR | 1969 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING CJR_1 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Underground Railroad", Joe McPhee's debut as a leader, has nowhere near the cult following its successor from 1971 "Nation Time" (though just as rare with only 500 copies pressed at the time) could gather over the last fifty years. I'm not a music or jazz historian, but I guess the reason is simple: "Underground Railroad" isn't funky, it doesn't add soul elements to the mix nor are there any vocals. It is a late 60's Free Jazz record in the tradition of those first privately pressed Loft Jazz recordings, especially Clifford Thorntons "Freedom And Unity" coming to mind (on which McPhee had an apperance on one track, by the way), sounding pretty dry and more focused on building up tension than creating a certain sound. Speaking of sound, this record is a bit distant (but still very visceral) sounding, but by design, since it was recorded in a monastery (though not before an audience, as far as I know).

Standout track is "Harriet", which sounds as if the Quartet was taking a break from the heavy percussive 23 minute opener occupying the entire A-side. Almost meditative and with really great solos, love the vibes and don't miss the drums at all (both of which is rare).

This album has been reissued both on LP and CD, the latter including a ton of bonus material (a previously unreleased concert before at the same location), all spread over two CDs.

webbcity likes this.
  8. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

9. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

10. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

11. cds23

MARION BROWN | SWEET EARTH FLYING | IMPULSE | 1974 | US FIRST PRESSING AS_9275 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wonderful "cosmic" jazz by Marion Brown - can't stress enough how talented and important this man was. "Sweet Flying Earth" is played quite loosely on this album, the melody is just hinted at - contrary to the version Brown played on the "Zenzile" album from 1976 (I've posted a few pics of this record last year or so), which captivates the essential melodic core of this composition. This earlier take feels more "free" and serves as a vehicle for all sorts of ideas, each represented in one of the fours parts this track has been separated into (though I have not the slightest idea what happened to "Part 2").

Cervelo, kmusic, webbcity and 2 others like this.
  12. JAZZ Information [SWEDEN] 2 LP set - Gerry Mulligan Quartet feat. Bob Brookmeyer - rec. 1957 - Engineer: Olof Swembel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

14. cds23

GUNTER HAMPEL GROUP | MUSIC FROM EUROPE | ESP_DISK | 1966 | US TEST STEREO PRESSING ESP_DISK 1042 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very early Gunter Hampel release and one of the few I really likex - to be frank, I can't stand the singing of his wife Jeanne Lee, and since most of his 70's output features the latter, count me out. But this "Music From Europe" release on ESP Disk is excellent.

webbcity likes this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

16. cds23

PHAROAH SANDERS | TAUHID | IMPULSE | 1966 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING AS_9138 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Tauhid" is still considered by many as the best work by Sanders and though I do very much enjoy "Black Unity" and "Izipho Zam", I agree. This, of course, due to "Upper Egypt & Lower Egypt", but Side B is no slouch either (though it gets much less praise than Side A), far from it. It comes very close to a "perfect" album and therefore ranks very high in my list of desert island discs.

17. cds23

GARY BARTZ NTU TROOP | HARLEM BUSH MUSIC_UHURU | MILESTONE | 1971 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING MPS 9032 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Classic Jazz Funk album by Gary Bartz with Ron Carter and the prominent voice of Andy Bey. Highlights are "Blue (A Folk Tale)" and "Celestial Blues", but frankly all track are great.
    This is a first pressing - most of them come totally trashed with damaged covers and/ or vinyl. While this copy has a very nice looking cover and no visible spindle marks on the label, it is obvious that is has been played a lot throughout the last fifty years - the already quite sibilant recording is quite harsh in percussion heavy moments, but still enjoyable. I use the latest LP version from "Jazz Dispensary" as a playing copy though - comes with Stoughton gatefold cover and mastering by Kevin Gray, so highly recommended if you're not willing to hunt down or wait for an original in acceptable condition. There exist also two japanese CD versions.

Cervelo and kmusic like this.
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Shimrod, JorgeGvb, Sorcerer and 3 others like this.
  19. United Artists [Japan 1976] GXC 3129 - Art Farmer " Modern Art" -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. cds23

THE CLIFFORD THORNTON NEW ART ENSEMBLE | FREEDOM AND UNITY | THIRD WORLD | RECORDED 1967 | RELEASED 1969 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING 9636 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first album by one of the most radical musicians / activists of the time has a dream line-up (with a very first appearance by Joe McPhee), resulting in a quite accessible but no less fascinating listening experience. The sound is often described as subpar; it isn't the best recording indeed, but it absolutely fits the music, conveys the massive energy created during the session and sounds nothing less what you should expect from one of the first privately pressed Free Jazz recordings, so this shouldn't be an excuse to miss out on this great album. This album has been reissued on CD and there is also a cheaper french LP version.

21. Pacific Jazz PJ-1213 - Bud Shank & Bob Brookmeyer " Strings & Trombones" - rec. 1954 & 1955 - Engineers: Val Valentine (A) and Allan Emig (B)
    Different title on rear side " The Saxophone Artistry of Buf Shank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Deja Vue 2000030 - The Basso Valdrambrini Octet " New Sound From Italy" - rec. 1959 - Engineer: Alberto Angelini

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. djost

djost Hyperactive!