The Jimi Hendrix Experience SACD Axis:Bold as Love stunning

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TimB, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Cancelled Amazon, went with the trusted AS reseller on Discogs. 34.99 + 4.00. Packs 'em great, too.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  3. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

I like the Reprise a bit more. :hide:

The mono is fabulous though!

rnranimal likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

Can you say what you like more about the Reprise CD?

5. nikosvault

Ever so slightly less compressed/loud and bright.

I concede that the SACD is more balanced with a bit more thump and detail, but I prefer the more relaxed sound.

It's close.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

OK, thanks. I know you listen on headphones, if I remember correctly?

When I compared, I liked things about each. However, I would bet good money Grundman will make bigger improvements on Are You Experienced. I feel there is more room for improvement there.

7. nikosvault

Correct.

Me too, but I think it's time that we admit that those old non-RE-1 Reprise discs were pretty darn awesome.

Electric Ladyland is the one I'm most unhappy with (I have both the old Reprise and Polydor). Wish AP would release a SACD for that one.

Merrick, ricks and George P like this.
  8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I compared this redbook vs the non-RE1, level matched on the office system one song version after the other for about 2/3 the album and they are both great and at certain different spots each had their advantages. I think in the end I feel more engaged by the AP, it feels like it’s better on a technical/technology level where it’s a bit more the real thing somehow. The non-RE1 has more openness at times which is a really enjoyable way to hear it, but to me it can at times also have a bit of a bright/brittle penalty— extremely small degrees here mind you. The notion I have is the non-RE1 is like listening to the vinyl and I’m imagining the AP is more like hearing the master tape played for you. I’ve heard neither of those two formats for this album so I’m only saying it’s the feeling I have about the differences.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Bum notes??

10. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

There's at least one in Little Wing on the alternate mix.

11. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi,

At least a few mentions on this forum :)

Hendrix Axis Bum

12. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Never heard a "bum" note on any axis mix officially released!

I have heard an "extra" note, just past the minute mark on the album mix that appears on the Polydor label, is that the reference here?

Maidenpriest likes this.
  13. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

yes, i to would not class it as a 'bum note' just an alternate version, in any case it sounds like played feedback to me and not a note etc !!

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This is “replete with bum notes” to you?

It’s just a different mix, not a different recording...

15. John Harchar

I didn't say it, that was the previous poster, just pointed out what he might have been referring to.

16. John Harchar

Got the SACD for Christmas, but haven't had a good chance to listen to it. Did listen to a bit of the mono and it's certainly interesting. Good idea to cut EXP short since it loses a lot when the sound can't whirl around your head like the stereo version. Guess it must have been similar thinking dropping the opening of You Got Me Floating.

17. Gordon Johnson

Isn't the "swirling guitar" opening also missing from the alternate stereo mix, also found on the Polydor release!

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Sorry. It’s hard to follow who wrote what on a phone.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

IMO my theory is it’s not an “alternate” mix per se but rather an early “draft” mix which somehow made it into the wild.

20. Gordon Johnson

Irrelevant really, its an alternate mix, as in an alternate mix to the one referenced!

It is funny how a "draft mix" managed to "somehow made it into the wild" as part of a fully fledged album, mixed, EQ'd, mastered on the label that paid the studio time for the whole album, just saying!

21. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Concur.

22. John Harchar

I know the feeling :)

23. John Harchar

Yep, missing there too

audiomixer likes this.
  24. John Harchar

Don’t know exactly what it is or where it came from, but it’s definitely different, no two ways about it.

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Split hairs and call it whatever you want - that’s why I used quotes and per se. I still theorize it’s an earlier attempt at what became the final mix and it got out by mistake. Which might explain why we know so little about it. It just sounds a little unfinished to me compared to the UK/US mix.

A draft mix would - by definition - be mixed. And if that tape was used/distributed by mistake, it would subsequently be eq’d/mastered. And the eq-ing/mastering was done in non-US/UK countries (at least initially). And the costs of additional studio time for mixing were likely ultimately borne by Hendrix, not the label. So I don’t understand your point.

It is far from unprecedented for an incorrect mix to get used and released. Just sayin...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.