The Jimi Hendrix Experience: "The Royal Albert Hall" Film, One Off Showing in London!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmalade166, Oct 3, 2019.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Stockholm 1970, but that is shaky amateur footage.

All Down The Line likes this.
  2. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Well at least it’s something.

Such a shame that song was never filmed.

DTK likes this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

U
    Not unless you count numerous Woodstock crowd footage!

4. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Lol.

5. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

We got Maui and a little bit of Berkeley, that’s the best we’ll get

6. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Has it been confirmed that the RAH Feb 24 show was filmed in full, with 100% coverage of all songs? Or are there filming gaps during certain songs where they have to loop footage from another song for coverage?

The Doors Isle of Wight release last year had extensive gaps where they repeatedly looped unmatched footage from other songs.

7. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

who knows

jhm and DTK like this.
  8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

It might need Them Changes?

ZoSoUK likes this.
  9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

We find out in a couple days. Doors IOW was only a couple songs, while Jimi RAH was intended as the whole thing.

10. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

This is something those who attend the screening will probably be watching for and report on. We should get numerous audience impressions of the presentation early next week. :-popcorn:

:cheers:
    Cat

11. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

What about "artistic" editing? Those that see the film can only report on what they presented with!

kees1954 likes this.
  12. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

True, but the stated goal was to restore the performance footage. If close-ups of Jimi's leads employ fretwork footage from a different scene inserted under the audio, that can be annoyingly obvious ...even to those who don't play guitar. :sigh:

I suppose borrowing close-up footage from another song could be described as "artistic" editing, but I'd think a back shot or audience pan would be much smoother, less artificial and arguably more artistic. This was a multi-cam shoot, so unless the existing footage/negatives have been lost or decayed beyond retrievability, Jimi's RAH performance should be nearly complete from a variety of angles allowing for a choice of edits.

EH has built-up expectations for this one-off screening, which is why I'm persuaded it may be a precursor to a bigger launch next year. Looking forward to the reviews and valuable critical commentary. :righton:

:cheers:
    Cat

13. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

I pulled out the 2014 Kurt Max edit of most (all?) of the known footage the other day. I would be happy with what we already have cleaned up with the "special effects" removed.

The promo video does list one song (Stone Free) that is not in collector land. Whether that is with on or off stage footage, we'll have to wait for our trusty forum reporters to confirm.

That would make me happy.

What would make me ecstatic is more footage of Hear My Train (aka Get My Heart...) and Bleeding Heart. Add a more complete Voodoo Child/Room Full Of Mirrors Jam and take my money.

Anything extra would be gravy on the meat and potatoes.

*this is strictly in regards to the RAH concert. Any footage from other shows from the tour would be welcome as well.

14. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Good God that footage looks amazing in the promo. Elevates this to some of the best vintage-era footage I've ever seen. I have to admit the old trade version I have (4ReelProductions) never did much for me, with the faded color and 9th-Generation dullness, paired with the horrible bright light they used for filming. But scratch out all of those negatives for the superb quality in the promo.

I've followed the chat here about the future of the film, I just don't think they would tout the film so strongly in the promo if it was only a copyright maneuver and there weren't more plans for it.

15. monkboughtlunch

Have any of the RAH soundcheck/rehearsals or songs from the Feb 18 show ever been legally, officially released?

I believe only four songs from the Feb 24 show have been legally released and are therefore already copyrighted extended for another 20 years.

kees1954 likes this.
  16. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Rough quality, but for an unauthorized video in 1970, not bad, if you use your imagination to fill in the gaps. Hey Baby starts about the 7:00 mark.

17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Still lots of seats available.

18. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

Please do, Gordon! I'll be there with you in spirit! A little envious, I have to admit :shh:

19. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

At least you made the attempt Kees :)

Its an interesting thought as to how the directors / producers here have called the artistic side for this film. There is little if any reason to edit out / down any performance here.
    Same for Woodstock though and that had both songs missing completely and edits, both were presented as "artistic" at some point!

Atlanta had the end TWO MINUITES cut [yes Jimi did go out of tune for maybe half of that!] for "artistic" reasons.

This is beside what is filmed, or should I say not filmed? Monterey is a case in point where it is claimed that film does not exist of certain parts of performance. Apply that elsewhere too, my artistic choices point is not one of wishful thinking but a concern founded on what we already have seen / bought.

Back to RAH speculation, will the performance when it became more of a jam be edited? Will any of Mitch's drum solo be edited? Look forward to finding out on Monday evening.

20. monkboughtlunch

The RAH reportedly seats 5,544 with modern day fire safety restrictions.

Other than putting out a press release, brief YouTube video and email blast, is EH spending any promo dollars on this screening?

Two days out and a lot of seats are still available? And they do the screening on a Monday work-week night?

Sure doesn’t sound like much in the way of promo dollars are being invested. I would love to be proven wrong, but this further suggests this screening event is little more that a copyright extension move.

squittolo and All Down The Line like this.
  21. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Exactly the reason why I’m going.
    Expecting what you say to be the case but hoping for 4K streaming,Blu-ray, vinyl, download release in the future.
    [​IMG]

22. Wayne Hubbard

Cool poster. Weird placement for the band member's names though.

All Down The Line likes this.
  23. monkboughtlunch

I took a look at open seats on the RAH site. Seems like 70% of seats are unsold.

24. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I liked it too just found it on planet rock

25. Wayne Hubbard

That could be a good thing. EH will have something concrete they can show Goldstein to prove his idea of putting the film in theaters is not feasible. It may hasten a home video release. At the very least a streaming service deal.