The Jimi Hendrix Experience: "The Royal Albert Hall" Film, One Off Showing in London!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmalade166, Oct 3, 2019.

1. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Dave played an electric guitar, stood at the back next to a Marshall amp stack once he got it plugged in and after a word or two from Noel as the band played on. He then seemed fairly motionless.

Wayne Hubbard and Gordon Johnson like this.
  2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I can't imagine they thought they could sell out the Hall even with heavy promotion. The capacity is over 5,000 and that is a lot of seats to fill for a movie. I think you're correct in that this was more about extending the copyright. Sure they could've done that just about anywhere cinema wise, but having it at the Hall was much better.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

On "Room Full Of Mirrors", you can clearly hear Mason's electric guitar accompanyment.

4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

With Janie (Iam a Hendrix) and Mr Goldstein present it was more akin to a Room Full Of Business!!!

Rooster_Ties, Purple Jim and JohnS like this.
  5. Villa Chemist

Villa Chemist Well-Known Member

In the backstory part at the start of the film it listed Jimi’s influences as Muddy Waters, Elvis, Eddie Cochran and Buddy Holly. I’ve seen Cochran and Holly mentioned by him in interviews as an example of the diversity of music he was listening to early on. Were they really his most significant influences?

6. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

It's ugly , very ugly.

weavzy likes this.
  7. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I never got the feminine clothing rock musicians wore, many of them did it Robert Plant being one of the worst offenders.

squittolo likes this.
  8. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Jimi had a great unique fashion style. I think that shirt design is awesome. I got to check it out once in person at a festival. I love the colors in it. And the idea, having the wings as the sleeves. It's like his fringe Woodstock shirt. Those were great performance outfits with great visual impact. I'll have to disagree with you.

I don't really think Jimi ever wore anything really ugly after 1967. Maybe those plaid pants from '67 Saville Theater. Also, I've never been a big fan of the early '68 hat period.

9. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

i hope this finally comes out. this gig was one of the first Hendrix records i got. always loved it

smoke and All Down The Line like this.
  10. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Different times.
    I like his outfit from Berkeley, first show. And Maui...So cool after all these years.

11. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

For sure, his maui shirt. One of his best.

12. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

The thing about Jimi's stage wear is that what might appear a bit dated and silly in still photos, makes a lot more sense when seen in movie footage - those billowing sleeves, loose draped scarves etc moving about really suit his playing style - swooping arm movements, dancing and so on.
    Combined with the effects of coloured stage lighting flashing on and off, it all enhances the music - it looks great in video clips, but must have been really mind-blowing to see live.

Mark7, SG47, MoonPool and 4 others like this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I love the hat period. He looked amazing in hats.
    I only have a problem with the RAH white boots and the butterfly outfit he had at Isle of Wight. Most people would have looked silly in Jimi's outfits, but he was so slim and beautiful and pulled it off.

MoonPool likes this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Chicks love rock stars and chicks love guys who embrace their feminine side. Win win = loads of groupies.

squittolo, tedhead, Tuck1977 and 3 others like this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

It was the trousers…very….tight.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    squittolo and tigerzzz like this.
  16. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Absolutely - just like Freddie Mercury was still allowed to wear the leotards in '85..........just stop; for the love of God! :doh:

[​IMG]

squittolo likes this.
  17. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

I'm glad to hear talk about this. The audio from the trailer had me worried. I wonder if they'd release then concert with the less than stellar mix so that they keep the contract and then hold out for years to reissue it with a proper mix.

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Talk about "coming out"

19. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

How was the screening? How many minutes was the rough edit?

20. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Leggy must have loved it...

21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Thanks

Purple Jim likes this.
  22. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Hope your all up for buying this next year :)

23. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Dunno, it may be all talk?

24. Gordon Johnson

couple of hours :)

I'm hearing stuff other than what was stated at the screening from Jerry G.

Blueray / DVD issue next year. I doubt it will be [the rough edit] what we got to see on Monday night but we'll see.

Wait till you get to see Red House and the close ups of Jimi's playing.

Wait till you get to see Jimi directing the performance, the smile that kept coming up on his face. The adrenaline fuelled performance from him.

Wait till you see Mitch and Noels contributions, Noel is as understated as usual but critical, as usual. Mitch was Mitch at his best.

Wait till you see up the lady's mini skirt, lol. Oh no, that'll be edited out for the official set along with a certain backstage piece :)

Wait till you see the whole quality of the film, both Hound Dogs at the flat. Jimi doing what he does second best, engaging with women of course, at the speakeasy.

I saw a couple of links to some crappy phone video, it at least gives a flavour to the event.

Tullman, PADYBU, rednax and 10 others like this.
  25. Gordon Johnson

Yes, I was blown away and even EH getting a misquote on the back of the guitar picks didn't put the dampeners on the event, ha ha!

SG47, DTK, David67 and 2 others like this.