The Jimi Hendrix Experience: "The Royal Albert Hall" Film, One Off Showing in London!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmalade166, Oct 3, 2019.

1. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Totally agree. AMC Cinemas here in the U.S. (the U.S.'s largest movie theater chain) had recently stated they would no longer carry films by Universal Studios because Universal (without warning) cut them out of a couple of films by making them available directly to home on demand viewing (like Trolls World Tour). Just this morning, the national news announced that AMC had reached a new deal with Universal (and presumably other studios?) that movies would be carried in their theaters, exclusively, for 17 days before they were made available for on demand viewing at home. 17 days!!! This is down from many, many weeks of exclusivity in the past. If this is to become the post COVID-19 norm, I don't see how Goldstein could expect something as esoteric as the JHE @ The Royal Albert Hall to be a desirable title for most theater owners to carry. If anything was made for on demand viewing followed by a home video release, it's this film. He might get away with a one night nationwide (here in the U.S.) screening via something like Fathom Events, but who knows if/when going to the theater will become "normal" again. They really should've gotten this thing out the door in the late 90s/early 2000s before the rise of streaming. That would've maximized both theatrical and physical product (video) sales. I fear that ship may have sailed (or is about to leave port very, very soon).

hi_watt, davies54, longdist01 and 3 others like this.
  2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

longdist01, Vintage1976 and jhm like this.
  3. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Re: this idea about a cinema release. I can't quite imagine there's any demand for anything except a very limited number of arthouse showings in the UK. Nothing to do with Covid, but where's the fanbase for more than that? I never hear people talk about Jimi anymore. Are things different in the USA, is there still a lot of interest in Jimi Hendrix?

hi_watt, Fox67 and SG47 like this.
  4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I agree and that's what's ridiculous about this whole thing. Goldstein held out and took EH to court, literally, because he wanted this thing to show on over 3,000 screens in the U.S.! Tjat wasn't the only reason he did it, but regarding theatrical showings, either he's that delusional, or he didn't really want to do the deal in the first place. The fact that he and Janie appeared together in London to screen the film together was a good sign, but still...we wait.

To answer your question, I think Jimi is perceived to be a legend and perhaps the greatest rock guitarist ever is you were to ask someone casually. I have no idea if anyone under, say, 30 has any idea who he is unless they are way into rock music.

5. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Yeah, about 30 years ago I think younger people knew about him and he was a cool icon, but since then he's gradually dropped out of the public consciousness.

Fox67 likes this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

People under 30 have little clue about anything in my Experience, so it's not a big deal...

Mark7 likes this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

When the project was ready to roll, his idea held up. When was that? Back in the early 2000s no? Here we are in 2020 and the landscape has changed considerably.

longdist01, Vintage1976, SG47 and 2 others like this.
  8. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I guess it's a big deal if you're managing the Hendrix musical estate/legacy and you're struggling to sustain his commercial value going forward.

Vintage1976 and DTK like this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think they try too hard, EH. Brilliant music will always have revivals. Guitar music isn't in the mainstream now and there's nothing to do about it. It will come back probably. I really really hope they don't do something bad out of desperation

longdist01, SG47 and SCOTT1234 like this.
  10. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

That ship sailed a long time ago. 17 days for pictures in the theaters is right about the time I can work going to the movies into my schedule (I think that's when I saw Endgame to let the hype died down). I remember when Star Wars was at the Menlo Park Mall on Route 1 from May thru December of 1977. I didn't see it until Labor Day. Now if this AMC/Universal deal goes wider, you may not even have three weeks.

In the middle of all this, does Goldstein still think he can get 1500 theaters to show this? Maybe, MAYBE he could've gotten a Fathom event going that on paper could've somehow worked out to 1500 screens (if you squint really hard). But now, you better take what you can get while the gettin's good.

longdist01 and jhm like this.
  11. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

But are those mixed from multitrack?

12. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Sadly, this is true.
    Just look at any of those reaction videos on youtube, not only the young teen/20's but 30+ year old that are watching/listening to Jimi for the first time.
    The classic rock stations died for a reason, just not popular anymore.

13. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Agree 100%

14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Iam sorry Sonny I can no longer read such a small font but iam really keen to see that Jim Henson feature and I always loved that Muppet cover art!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  15. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

they certainly sound like they are to me :)

16. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

I think more people are aware of him than ever...this has 161 million views and the comments are from all ages...

17. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

kees1954 likes this.
  18. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

If it was released at a local cinema I would not go to see it due to Covid. I think you guys are right a streaming deal is the only way forward for this film now is via apple tv or Netflix. A cinema release now would sink like a stone as this so called new normal could go on for a long time to come.
    Goldstein if you are reading the Hoffman forum do yourself a favour and get it out before it’s worthless.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

unknown to me...the CD/LP doesn't tell much about it...
    it was produced by A Douglas and he decided to add some reverb to it.
    I have that CD. Is it that rare?
    --
    the hard copy of it might be difficult to find but sharing thru download is easy.
    It's really the only one of the Jimi Hendrix series worth having, all the others are just selected clips showcasing the theme of the disc.
    --
    Eddie Kramer auctioned off his collection(incomplete) back in 2004
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  20. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

According to Discogs currently the lowest price it sells for is $69.

ranasakawa likes this.
  21. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

It's the video camera mix, but in mono. Fidelity is notably better than the Burdon/Charly sources though.

The last songs on the Feather have many dropouts and there's tape saturation, both of which not heard on the other source.

DTK, ranasakawa, kees1954 and 2 others like this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

So there was a video camera at RAH 2 as well as film cameras?

23. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

YouTube isn't a good indicator of sustained interest. You'd have to look at the analytics to see how many views over a certain time, etc. Plus, it's a fixed item that people can always go back to. A theater showing is apples to oranges.

24. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

The Red House from NY Pop 7/17/70 is very raw, versus the version on Concerts which has fake echo...the gig was outdoors!

DTK and kees1954 like this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Fathom was booked for LZ "Celebration Day" before the physical media releases happened...I think it ran about 1 week in Chicago at most 5 screens outside of the city and probably 6 screens more downstate. Good luck Goldstein on this post-Covid.

jhm and kees1954 like this.