The John Denver appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Twelvepitch, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hep Alien, Jarleboy, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  2. Twelvepitch

Twelvepitch Musician and analog enthusiast Thread Starter

Absolutely beautiful performance by John and his band!

3. Twelvepitch

I agree. It's my own thread on the subject.

mark winstanley and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

exactly...

RSteven and Twelvepitch like this.
  5. Twelvepitch

Very possible, and he just wanted to get away.

6. Twelvepitch

Yes, he wanted to be Southern, but he wasn't. I know his brother, Ron, by the way, and his nephew, Will. Good fellows.

Bananas&blow, Hep Alien and Jarleboy like this.
  7. Michael

No, you weren't there I was...and we were not crowding the walkway...no, he was just being a dick and Paul Stookey ( Peter, Paul, & Mary) just stared at him and we cracked up like WTF? was that! Autographs were NOT in our conversation! Ah Ha!

8. Twelvepitch

Well, that's not good he was mean to you. Paul Stookey was there? Very awesome!

9. chuckgay

chuckgay Forum Resident

I do really enjoy some of the music, and I have seen Oh God about a jillion times. Saw it as a kid in the theater and have always had a soft spot for it. Plus... how about that AMC Pacer!?!

10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Actually, that’s NOT what I want. :)

I don’t want a schlocky TV movie, I’d like a go-for-broke Hollywood biopic with some rising star doing Denver. I’m only a casual fan, at best, but I grew up in the 70s with my (much) older brothers listening to his music. From what I can tell, there’s a really interesting story there that parallels the Queen/Elton superstar ride in that decade. But it’s maybe more interesting, because he sort of ... vanished ... unlike those guys, and never really had a major “comeback”. Plus there’s the whole “nature vs celebrity” dynamic to explore. And then his tragic, unexpected death? It just seems ripe for a screenwriter to tackle.

Unlike Freddie and Elton, he seems less “defined” in our modern era, so I think you’d have a greater opportunity to “educate” the masses on his life, if it were done well. Same thing with Sonny Bono - I could tell you a paragraph on his life and that’s it. But hit songwriter >> marries Cher >> becomes Republican Congress member >> (also) dies bizarrely: without trying to sound crass, that’s a helluva story to tell in two hours.

Flawed though it may be, I’ll take the 70s Music Superstar Biopic genre over the Marvel/DC comic book genre any day. :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  11. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I absolutely love the music of John Denver. So many great songs, I can’t pick a favorite. I celebrate his entire catalog.

But if I were forced to pick one, it would be Take Me Home, Country Roads. A song about the state of Virginia which has become the unofficial state song of West Virginia. lol

This is the ultimate unbeknownst troll song. Every time I see a w v u fan sing this, it brings both joy and laughter to my soul.

Thank you so much for the songs and the music John, you and your songs will not be forgotten.

12. Twelvepitch

I had NO clue he was talking about Virginia and making fun of West Virginia. Wow, that was mean!

RSteven likes this.
  13. I never met John Denver but I got to visit his private jet when I was about 10.

His music was always so soothing. I wonder why. :D

14. Twelvepitch

That's so awesome on you getting to see his jet! He was a little fractious in real life, so I wonder why it was soothing.

15. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

If you happened to watch the Boston Pops 4th of July show tonight, there was a little nugget after the fireworks ended where Arlo Guthrie and Amanda Mena joined the Texas Tenors and Keith Lockhart to sing “Thank God I’m a Country Boy” and “Take Me Home Country Roads (Arlo on guitar). It was pretty cool.

Hep Alien, Jarleboy and Twelvepitch like this.
  16. Twelvepitch

Wow! So nice! I'll see if I can get it!

17. Michael

yes Paul was with me and my friend...I don't think John was being mean he was just being John...I knew John's & Paul's bass player Dick Kniss...he was a very decent human & fantastic bass player!...he told me some great stories about John when we were hanging out at Peter Yarrow's apartment...Dick toured with John in the huge concert days of the 70's and beyond...there's plenty on the web about Dick Kniss...

18. Twelvepitch

That's so awesome! I'll have to look up Dick Kniss. Was Peter a nice fellow?

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. ***WARNING***
    The post is rated PG-13 by the Board of Gort Education (BGE). Minors must be accompanied by adults to read this post.

I think John Denver just found a way to be really mellow. I mean, George Burns had his cigars, and John had...?

I'll tell y'all a secret. Don't sweat me, okay? There were some nudie magazines in John Denver's private jet. Tasteful ones, mind you. But I saw them, and my mom must have seen me gawking, so she shifted my attention to something else.

Great songs from John Denver. He was a born balladeer. He should have stuck to someone else flying him around.

20. Twelvepitch

Uh oh! There was XXX in there? My goodness.

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. Nah, man, just like Playboy magazine. A lot of articles in those type. Nothing to hurt delicate sensitivities. :D

Hep Alien, Jarleboy and Twelvepitch like this.
  22. Twelvepitch

Oh goodness. I know what you mean. Oh, and those hurt your perspectives on women, but that's about it, and that's a major turndown for me.

Hep Alien and Jarleboy like this.
  23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I saw him in concert in Detroit pretty close before he died.

Put on a great show.

Lot of very good songs.

24. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Did you get to watch him leave on his jet plane? :uhhuh:

joy stinson, Twelvepitch and RSteven like this.
  25. If you guys haven't read his 1992 book, Take Me Home, you really probably should. John was very candid about his life. I certainly gained a better appreciation for the dude, reading about his trials and tribulations, triumphs and hard work.