The John Lennon Catalogue on CD/SACD/BluRay 1987-present [which is the overall preferred pressings]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulisdead, Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous Thread Starter

Surprisingly, I haven't found a thread on this covering the recent 2010 or 2014 masters. There is however, a lot of bits of useful information on here but I thought an updated version of the older threads would be a good idea:

• The some of the 1987-1988 1st run CD's had issues with No-Noise as pointed out by lennonology: How to tell no-NR early Lennon CD's

• The 2000-2005 CDs were remixed with Rock n Roll featuring the dreaded Copy Controlled protection on some early copies.

• The 2010 remasters returned to the original mixes.

• In 2014 the catalogue was reissued on SHM-SACD in Japan

• The original mix of Imagine was released on 24bit/96kHz True Audio Blu-Ray

• In 2018 another remix and remaster of Imagine was released on CD and BluRay.

DK Pete and Carlox like this.
  2. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

And, sadly, on "Walls and Bridges" too... as my copy :mad:.

paulisdead likes this.
  3. paulisdead

Such a dumb and desperate move to fight piracy. And it blew up in there faces too.

bluerondo and Carlox like this.
  4. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

I like the 2010 reissues with the original mixes.

aarsonbet, audiomixer and paulisdead like this.
  5. The 2010 reissues with the original mixes are my go to versions. I also have the remixes of Imagine, Plastic Ono Band and the Working Class Hero compilation, but I don't always like the mastering there.

aarsonbet and paulisdead like this.
  6. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I am curious about this as well. All I own is Lennon Legend and have been told that compilation has acceptable sound quality. I have otherwise only heard a few of the MFSL discs which I am reading are remixes. I have heard that the original CDs from EMI/Capitol use original mixes but have NR. I see a lot of the iTunes versions are tagged Apple Digital Master, but I do not know what they sound like. I am trying to cut my music budget so am curious what others think of these. They show a copyright of 2010 so I am assuming they are the 2010 reissues with original mixes?

Plan9 likes this.
  7. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

2010 CDs, the SACDs, hi-res downloads, and other downloads (including the Apple Music/other streaming service versions) are from the same digital transfers of the original mixes except for the Imagine deluxe remixes

I quite like the remixes for Walls and Bridges (they didn't do the whole album at the time in 2005, I guess not all the multi-track tapes could be found). My Japanese CD copy does NOT have Copy Protection

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Plan9 and Time Is On My Side like this.
  8. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

I'm voting the 2000-05 editions just for Mind Games alone. Such a superior mix, no wonder it always seemed to get overlooked back in the day

9. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Agreed. Not sure why that original mix was ever ok'd and released but I have to admit the 2010 reissue is the best that mix ever sounded. My only disappointment in the remix of the album is Meat City...loses all of the energy of the original (I prefer the Mind Games b-side mix of it). I still go for the originals though if I am wanting to really listen.

10. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Agree.
    Plastic Ono Band remix is my favourite. Incredibly wonderful...

11. paulisdead

A: Produced by John Lennon. :agree:

12. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I voted for the original mixes remastered for the simple reason that my preference is always for the material as originally presented. However, I'd make an honourable exception for Rock 'n' Roll: the remixes are revelatory, and turn this from an underwhelming musical mush, to something genuinely enjoyable. Night and day.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The 2014 are the 2010 remasters, so either of these.

^ These are all the same thing.

Choba b CCCP and aphexj like this.
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes

aphexj likes this.
  15. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I am finding this all rather confusing....I guess because there are so many different versions floating out there...
    Is there a way to identify the 2000-2005 remixed versions...is that noted in the booklets or on the back... if so where...?
    Is there a specific catalogue number to look for ?
    Do the 2014 SHM-SACD in Japan have original mixes or remixes (I have some of these)?
    I am in the US...

16. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

It says Remixed & Remastered on the side.
    The 2014 use the original mixes.

DK Pete likes this.
  17. EndOfTheRainbow

Ive read that... but I don't see it on the cover...is it on the back cover ?
    Where does it say that...

18. EndOfTheRainbow

I looked for those on Amazon and didn't see any...
    Can you point to one on discogs so I know specifically what I am looking for

19. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

The cover of Walls & Bridges is different, there was a sticker on the CDs with Remixed and Remastered. Nothing on the actual booklets.

DK Pete likes this.
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The remixes have the 2000-2005 dates on the back cover IIRC.

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

On the far right on the front side of the "rib".

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to come across the Japanese version of the remixed Walls and Bridges...beautifully replicated mini LP cover down to the "fold-overs" and booklet.

john lennonist likes this.
  23. paulisdead

For the 2000-2005 CD's, the jewel case spin, they state "Remixed and Remastered".

[​IMG]

The 2010 original mix reissue has the signature/John Lennon caricature spine on a digipak. They also had it stated on the hype sticker.

[​IMG]

24. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

it's easy to identify the 2000-2005 remix, because they are the ones with the bonus tracks

25. Dr. Winston Ramone

Dr. Winston Ramone Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

Are there any additional thoughts on the Walls & Bridges remix, besides the copy protection? POB, Mind Games, and Rock and Roll remixes are my go-to versions, and I have W&B coming in the mail this week.
    I know not all tracks were remixed, but I’m curious about the others. For example, I’ve always liked ‘What You Got,’ but I’ve always found the original mix to sound harsh at nearly any reasonable volume.
    I can’t believe it took me this long to track down a copy on Discogs...

DK Pete likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.