The Joni Mitchell Archives/Remasters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2020.

1. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Thanks for the thoughtful, non-knee jerk response. But there's no smoking gun there either. I've never suggested that AAA mastering is either more difficult or rare to occur. Or better. I've simply asked the question, how do we know that the 3LPs are AAA? If AAA vs. digital is something everyone else is over, that's fine (though someone here yesterday expressed that knowing the Asylum set is AAA has "made their day"). It's not a big deal to me. I bought the set, thought they all sounded digital, thought there was some unpleasant noise on the left channel at the start of Ladies in the Canyon, thought the Seagull remix was no improvement, so I passed the set on to someone else, since I have original copies of a few of these. Since that time, I've heard it said that the 3LPs are NOT digital remasters, so I was curious to confirm that, as I'm still curious about the next set. But somehow, this is a "bullying" "witch hunt" I'm on, though, it appears. Though for me, it's crystal clear on which side the over-reactions to all this are happening.

The key part of your post that does relate to my question is
    If everyone else is comfortable with these assumptions, because there's a few there, great. I'll move on, because I'm not convinced - a sticking point that is utterly meaningless, I know. I don't think anyone would have thought otherwise that the remix of Seagull was anything but digital. Before or after hearing it. So that is not insider info to me. The idea that they would do a new analog mix of the album is pretty unthinkable at this point to me, so that's a strong assumption I think anyone would be right to make. But regarding the other LPs, unfortunately Fremer was not forthcoming on exactly how he knew what he said was true. As I said earlier, I've seen later posts from him (re: Thriller) where he starts to question the information he's received.

2. SRC

"Begging"? I would recommended you check your assumptions and hyperbole. If how things are sourced is, in the end, so trivial, why is there another thread on these boards that is the fastest moving thread possibly in SHF history, averaging hundreds of posts a day, about this very subject? Everything is trivial depending on your perspective. You yourself said yesterday that the upcoming Asylum set is all-analog, and someone replied that you had "made their day." If it's so trivial, explain both your posts and his? And I found it odd that you wrote me privately, because you didn't include any information that should be considered private. It seemed like an attempt to stop me from posting further, but you didn't offer any helpful information. Don't worry, I will stop soon. This is indeed too trivial to argue about. But, it's also too trivial to you for me to even ask about, even though you yourself are the original and only source of the information.

3. SRC

I don't think there is anyone in the world that doubts that Seagull was digitally remixed, that's never been in question.

4. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

^ You're right to ask whether it's AAA or not. It's an audiophile forum, it's a question asked all the time here, because that's the audio some people here prefer to listen to, given the choice. So I wouldn't say it's exactly trivial, not here at least. To me, trivial would be like, what kind of inner sleeves are included.

teag and SRC like this.
  5. SRC

I'm still not sure how the Seagull remix came into any controversy here. It's the other 3LPs that have no definitive provenance.

I hear you again on this idea that mastering analog is no big deal for some. But let's understand how the set came together. There were digital remasters of all four albums in the set, because they are on CD and streaming. There was a digital remaster for Seagull for vinyl also. But, in addition to all that, there were also analog remasters for 3LPs? It's certainly not impossible, I just find it indeed, "more work and more expensive."

No real need to reply, see below.

I appreciate that. If my tone was off or offensive to anyone, I apologize. I am moving on from this thread and this question. But I appreciate that you alone seem to recognize that raising the question was not unreasonable. I leave it though with a sour taste in my mouth, a complete lack of interest now in listening to Joni anytime soon haha, and a few IMO unhelpful posters added to my ignore list. But thanks and I hope you all enjoy the upcoming release, and all else in life. Cheers.

6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

It’s silly to compare the Reprise box to the MoFi One Steps regardless of whether it was all digital, all analog, a mix, whatever. The Reprise box cost less (for me, on Amazon) than a single One Step. And all four albums were beautifully packaged and cut by a legend. It’s a great deal!

7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

You keep saying "no definitive provenance" but Fremer's article is where the information about Seagull being a digital remix came from,
    and the clarification the other 3 are analog, which comes from someone at Rhino, or Bernie G.
    Why is that not definitive?

Aegir likes this.
  8. SRC

This is definitive, regarding how Seagull was remixed, and it has nothing to do with Fremer: Joni Mitchell Library - Re-Mixing Song to a Seagull: JoniMitchell.com, October 15, 2021
    We'll agree to disagree on what constitutes definitive provenance - a guy on his blog, who doesn't say where he got his info, is simply not enough for me.

Nothing more to say on this topic, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Stone Turntable and 1@aTime like this.
  9. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Like or don't like Fremer, but characterizing one of the leading vinyl experts on the planet this was is biased and dismissive <moderator edit>

Bottom line for me is the JMA series is at the very top of the reissue series of the last decade.

Gorgeous sound, top people involved, beautiful jackets, artwork, essay, flawless RTI pressings,
    overall just incredible value, for less than the price of 1 mofi one-step. Good enough for me.

Aegir and Zafu like this.
  10. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

So, um, anyone else get their shipping notice for the art print from the next box from Joni’s website? Any idea if the image is analog or digitally sourced?

11. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

No but I'm certain the shipping notice itself is digital. Let's discuss...

imarcq and Zafu like this.
  12. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

AAA confirmed, sweet. What about US/EU pressing differences?

:link:

13. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

The Amazon U.K. listing gives the USA as the country of origin and the dimensions/weight are the same as the Amazon US one, whereas the sizes were different for the previous sets. However, the accuracy of their listings can be hit and miss …

14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I suspect the real reason is that they don't have usable analogue multis anymore. Judging from the ultra-aggressive DNR on the remix, I suspect the multis were transferred circa the late '90s/early 2000s with that sh—t baked in, and the real multi tapes have been lost or deteriorated since. If I were listening to raw transfers that sounded like that, and someone asked me to mix them, my first response would be "surely we must have something better to work from..."

Hopefully the Atmos mixes of the upcoming remasters (streaming-only, one surmises) will be easier on the ears!

15. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

What’s your source for that?

fast'n'bulbous likes this.
  16. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

17. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

One of an almost unreasonable number of gems prepared for Archives 3. :)

18. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

is this the uncut article? can we see the whole thing?

19. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

If things haven't been completely finalized, and if it hasn't already been included, might I suggest:

Carnegie 1972
    Carnegie 1972
    Carnegie 1972
    Carnegie 1972
    Carnegie 1972
    Carnegie 1972
    Carnegie 1972
    Carnegie 1972
    Carnegie 1972
    Carnegie 1972

That is all. I ask for so little. :D

20. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i salivate for what could be coming!

21. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

just looked at a track list for a bootleg of this show and daaaaamn. that is tantalising!

22. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

From back in the day when people actually cheered when a musician said they're playing a new song. Instead of hitting the restroom. :laugh:

23. Chromatica

Chromatica Forum Resident

How exciting!

A piano suite of the album? How cool to hear a bit of the genesis of Court and Spark. I’ve always loved Joni’s piano demos, especially “Man from Mars” and “Good Friends”, so this should be a fun one to listen to.

24. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

I emailed the Joni Mitchell Archives and they told me they didn’t have any information as to were they records are being pressed or if the packaging is heavier duty as the first box set was so amazingly presented for the USA - very frustrating.

NorthernFusion likes this.
  25. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

The customer service email?