The joy of David Byrne’s American Utopia (HBO Max)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Shambolicus, Jan 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shambolicus

Shambolicus Farm Residue Thread Starter

I’m on my third viewing of David Byrne’s American Utopia, (the Spike Lee-directed film of the pre-Covid Broadway show) since finally getting around to watching it on New Year’s Eve. What an amazing, uplifting experience! Seen the film yet? Would enjoy reading your thoughts on all aspects of the film...performance, choreography, cinematography, whatever...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    vivresavie likes this.
  2. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I was there at one of the shows filmed...the Saturday matinee February 1, 2020. The evening show was also filmed, and footage from both shows were used

One of the greatest live events I ever attended, and now one of the greatest musical films of a performance I have ever seen

vivresavie, Shambolicus and brownie61 like this.
  3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Twice all the way through, and going back to watch specific songs. A really great production.

JohnK

4. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I loved it. I wish I had seen it on Broadway!

I particularly liked the number near the end where everyone added their part one by one to prove they were not using tapes!

vivresavie and Shambolicus like this.
  5. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

They were planning to come back again in Sept 2020, but the pandemic put the kabash on that plan. Hopefully, they'll bring it back when Broadway reopens. I HIGHLY recommend seeing it in person

brownie61 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.